• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Astigmatism Red Dots

BeeKay

I have a Sig Romeo and I liked everything about it, except for one thing... If I wasn't wearing my glasses, the dot was distorted and fuzzy.   So I put that on my shotgun and I'm shopping for a different type of Red Dot  -  It looks like there are some designs out there that are astigmatism friendly judging by their reviews.

I want one that has long eye relief, like the Sig Romeo and if possible, some magnification. . .  So firstly, I'm interested in finding out if there's any such thing as a Red Dot that has magnification 3X max and also has long Eye Relief, and which is also astigmatism friendly. . . There may be no such thing ?

If I'm understanding things correctly prism optics are the variety that works well, if someone has astigmatism.... Correct me if I'm wrong about that

Thanks in advance for all help - Enjoy 

8 hours ago, BeeKay said:

If I'm understanding things correctly prism optics are the variety that works well, if someone has astigmatism.... Correct me if I'm wrong about that

No, you're correct.  That's what you need to try, for your eye condition.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:05 PM, 98Z5V said:

No, you're correct.  That's what you need to try, for your eye condition.

Got it  -  Thanks  -  I'm about to order a  Primary Arms SLX 3X Micro Prism   

Unless I change my mind for some reason and get the P.A. GLX

If you plan on getting a laser you might consider the following. Green is in part of the spectrum that human eyes operate best in (yellow/green). If you plan on a laser you really want the laser to be green so that you can pick it out easily from the background clutter or a light level that is marginal (too bright). But an optic, if it's set up correctly is "right there" when the rifle or shotgun is shouldered. There is no searching for the red dot in the optic. Different colors allow you to easily collimate the laser to the red dot. If you have both the same color it's much more difficult to know which is which. So boiling it down, red dot in the optic, green for the laser. Of course if you'll never have a laser on the firearm it's not an issue, but now is the time to decide and buy only once. 

I've been considering one of the prism type red dots and have heard nothing but good things. Please get back to us to let us know how you like it. BTW, I haven't dropped the hammer on one yet. 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:49 AM, AngelDeVille said:

I have a strange question, why aren’t you wearing your glasses?

There are just times when I'm okay without them and I've broken them a few times so I sometimes would just rather not deal with them

But sometimes I like wearing them .  when I drive, for example.

On 3/11/2023 at 7:11 AM, unforgiven said:

That's a long list of red dots that are supposed to be good for astigmatism 

I'm surprised that the Sig Sauer Romeo was on there.  I have one of those and I'll find out whether a PA 3X Prism sight is better, when it gets here.

I wish that there was a local store that carries all those because it would be great to try them out before making a decision.  I just have to go by online articles .

I like the Sig Romeo but it's on my shotgun now because there may be situations when I don't have my glasses and if I have a SHTF rifle, it's my .308,  so that's where my 3X Prism sight will be..   If there's any improvement, I'll post after I've tried it.

13 hours ago, BeeKay said:

PA 3X Prism

Just looked through one of these this past weekend - excellent sight.    The guys were running it out to 450 yards with 55gr ammo, out of a 16" gun, with ease.  Very nice sight. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 2:12 PM, 98Z5V said:

Just looked through one of these this past weekend - excellent sight.    The guys were running it out to 450 yards with 55gr ammo, out of a 16" gun, with ease.  Very nice sight. 

Good to hear - I haven't ordered one yet because I had to move and deal with all the address change business and complications.

I don't want an order to go to my old address.  Probably will order next week.

Thanks