• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

TSA is targetting Gun Owners

@Matt.Cross, check it out, brother...

Let's discuss.  The flights I made recently - TSA was completely on their ass in what they were supposed to be doing.  Bottom line - they weren't even doing their fucking job.  I was shocked, to see this, as a flyer, in regards to my own guns. 

This was an interesting listen, it seems it's primarily concerned with accidentally breaching the 'secure area', which for anyone who doesn't know is all points beyond the check-in area of the airport. Check-in area is where items that must be declared aren't deemed to be a security risk for the sake of being staged for permissible transport. In other words, a designated area in which declared items can be prepared for legal transportation.

Any item that is required to be declared that is moved into the secure area is assumed to be a security risk and the product of hostile intent. So, an item that has to be declared before it can fly, can definitively NOT be allowed into OR through a checkpoint, AT ALL. In terms of security protocols, not an unreasonable assessment. That said, accidents and neglect and forgetfulness all happen to be part of the human condition, so it's not always appropriate to prosecute every offense on the basis of hostile intent.

My summary on this is cover your bases before you leave your primary residence.  Verify that you've compartmentalized your luggage appropriately according to the legal requirements for checked baggage, declared baggage, and carry-on baggage. You try waltzing through the TSA checkpoint with a declared item, it's an invitation for scrutiny and prosecution. Put on the big boy pants, divvy the luggage up into what goes where, declare it appropriately AND immediately. Also, TSA Pre-Check is your friend if you're going to fly with guns ever. It tells TSA with a glance at your ticket that you voluntarily paid for and cleared a thorough Federal background check that stays current. TSA is going to swab your declared items no matter what, but if you declared your items and the TSA is routing it to the aircraft, you won't incur any unnecessary time penalties as a result of having to go along with your luggage to be checked.

That's my thoughts...

On 8/1/2023 at 2:01 AM, 98Z5V said:

Whaddaya think about this "SSSS List" part of that?...

It's overreach & overreaction, but also part of why it makes sense to do the Pre-Check deal.

They're concerned with unknown quantities and have limited (and just poor) metrics for judging who to keep an eye on. Pre-Check is a good 'these are not the droids you're looking for' sort of mechanism.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 8:24 PM, jim3326 said:

3 things useless to a pilot, sky above, runway behind and air in the fuel tank. Taking off was always my hi stress point, landing is just a controlled crash.

That's more or less my point, regardless of whether you are good or bad at takeoffs, if you can't land it right, it's game over. As the old saying goes, falling out of the sky never killed anyone, it's the landing that's gonna get you.

3 hours ago, jim3326 said:

landing is just a controlled crash.

Exactly right on the money.

3 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

As the old saying goes, falling out of the sky never killed anyone, it's the landing that's gonna get you.

Bullshiit - that's why everyone should be a Paratrooper.  "PILOT!  GET THIS MOTHERFUCKER OFF THE GROUND!   THEN LET ME OUT AT THE RIGHT PLACE...   I GOT THIS..."

That's how you should roll...   :thumbup:

Oh horse shyte! Now jumping? You kidding me?

I'll repel down a mountain or tower, I'll climb a clif with a pack and rope, I will never again jump out of a chopper with a rope, notfuckinhappening.

And that was then! Now I'm not doing any of that, I much prefer to ensconce myself in a nice hide and wait....

Edited by Traveler

On 8/26/2023 at 1:59 PM, Traveler said:

Oh horse shyte! Now jumping? You kidding me?

I'll repel down a mountain or tower, I'll climb a clif with a pack and rope, I will never again jump out of a chopper with a rope, notfuckinhappening.

And that was then! Now I'm not doing any of that, I much prefer to ensconce myself in a nice hide and wait....

I like to imagine that as I get older I'll have the wisdom to progress in that direction of sensibility. at present however, I'm the type of person that absolutely should not be threatened with a good time, under any circumstances.