• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My pathetic attempt at shooting iron sights at 100 yds .

jwb47

The title say's it all LOL . I was at the range sighting in my bolt action match rifle and I also had my 20 inch 5.56 Ar with me . I was jacking around shooting 50 yds with iron sights and really wasn't doing to bad . I went to pack up and found 5 more rounds of 55 grain federal so I decided to post up at 100 yds and see how things go  . Surprising enough it started off pretty good better than I expected , then I pulled A shot that looked like I was setting the hook on a large mouth bass . Now I'm on a mission . The upper is a PSA premium upper with an FN barrel setting on a poverty pony lower . I did clean up the trigger group and it definatly is much better . I have to say trying to see that 3 inch dot at 100 yds is a bitch for these old eyes .

IMG_4797.jpeg

4 hours ago, jwb47 said:

yep 1/7 twist and federal bulk pack 55 grain .

To be expected with 55gr and a 1/7" barrel.  That's pretty good, within the limits of factory-loaded 55gr ammo, 2-3 MOA best, through a 7 twist.  Test out some 68 or 69gr ammo, then some 75 or 77gr ammo, and you'll see those groups shrink a little.  7 twist and 55s don't really get along like best friends, through most of these.

1 hour ago, jwb47 said:

I have a couple thousand 77 grain matchkings

Fantastic projectiles. If you already have  some loaded up, just straight up try them through this gun, man. You'll like the results.  :thumbup:

This is the rifle I normally run . 20 inch BA dmr profile barrel , Im not really sure what the upper receiver is but I trued  up the front end , lower is a poverty pony with a rise armament drop in trigger  4lb trigger pull standard buffer and spring , mag pul moe butt stock  and a vortex strike eagle 3x18x44 optic along with a griffin Optimus micro suppressor .

IMG_4585.jpeg

That rifle with 77 grain match kings  does right at 2748 fps . It will get me as far out as we shoot around 750 yds is the farthest . it might be a bit of a hike to Arizona I live in the Missouri ozarks . I have a little 40 acre ranch . this is what the area I live in looks like . 

IMG_4680.jpeg

15 hours ago, jwb47 said:

That rifle with 77 grain match kings  does right at 2748 fps . It will get me as far out as we shoot around 750 yds is the farthest . it might be a bit of a hike to Arizona I live in the Missouri ozarks . I have a little 40 acre ranch . this is what the area I live in looks like . 

IMG_4680.jpeg

Beautiful area brother. PSA FN barrels are the best deal going for the money in my opinion. I have a nice 18" setup from them.😁

11 hours ago, Rsquared said:

It doesn't take 3 days to get to Missouri from Arizona ya lazy bastard. :lmao:

I drive like Neil - I want to see the sights, between here and there...   :thefinger:

22 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

That's some pretty country you have there @jwb47

I love the contrasting colours of the trees and rocks.

Yeah it is an interesting place , apparently it was caused by a volcano many moon's ago . I am a shutterbug as well and feel blessed to have  many places to explore so close to home . 

On 2/4/2024 at 11:56 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm on the road in the morning - see you on Wednesday...    :banana:

Just come on down . Im sure we can find some where to burn some powder and I have 2 deer in the freezer and turkey's chickens and quail running around in pen .  You won't leave hungry .