• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Off to Fort Benning

Retired JM

Today is the big day for my son. He pushes out to the Fort Benning School for Wayward Youth. I'm gonna miss him fiercely. Hell, we haven't taken him to the recruiting station yet and I'm missing him already.

But it has to happen - It's time for him to go out and make his own way in the world. I envy him his youth and vigor, remembering the day I first started down the path from home. I hope he finds a bright light to follow as the lights from home grow dim in the distance and the path ahead becomes hard to follow. I hope that he always looks forward, with only the occasional glance back to see where he's been. I hope that he finds someone to walk with him, not in front of him or behind him but along side him and help him bear his burden. I wish him a long, long, happy walk along the path.

Thanks, all. I'll keep y'all posted as he makes his way through OSUT. He's currently scheduled for a mid-June graduation. It'll be good to see the "Mothership" again. I'm planning on taking him to the Fourwinds cafe for a Rangerburger and fries as his graduation lunch/dinner.

I hope he finds a bright light to follow as the lights from home grow dim in the distance and the path ahead becomes hard to follow. I hope that he always looks forward, with only the occasional glance back to see where he's been. I hope that he finds someone to walk with him, not in front of him or behind him but along side him and help him bear his burden. I wish him a long, long, happy walk along the path.

Beautifully said, and I would like to express my eternal gratitude to your son and all who choose the path of service. I agree with Matt that one of my biggest (and only) regrets in life is failing to enlist when I had the opportunity. Congratulations and all the best.

Again, many thanks. He got to Benning last night around 10 PM EST. He starts in-processing this morning. There's a cycle that picks up on 9 MAR, but I don't think he'll maje that one. More likely his cycle will begin 16 MAR with a graduation date of 22 Jun. 13 weeks of fun and games in the south Georgia heat and humidity!