• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt carrier & bolt

dennisinaz

I said nearly the same thing over on another forum.  There were a couple guys thinking about making 'em.  The problem is that the bolts have to be hardened, which requires the oven and quenching setup.  Then the bolts are usually final ground after it's hardened.  If I hear of anything else, I'll update this board.  Please do the same.  I need two BCG's too.

Oz

Hiya  We were in the cheaper than dirt  Mckinney Tx store last week and they had the dpms chrome bcg in a dpms bag that was in a display case....soo even if they dont have it on the website give the Mckinney store a call...betcha its still there ;)  Wash

I like that idea. I'll probably go that rout as well. But for right now, I am going to stick with a DPMS BCG despite the relatively minor difference in price. This is because I have chosen to go with an initially OK quality build just to get the gun running and replace it piece by piece with higher-end parts until I nearly have enough replaced parts to make a whole new gun and then either sell or trade the new build. Since the bolt carrier group is one of the more expensive parts, I am giving myself the motive to replace that over time as well.

JP was busy making lots of bolts the last several weeks. Mine was shipped I got it last Friday. Maybe they not make enough  <dontknow>

A couple of weeks ago I noticed Rainier Arms had them in stock on a Monday I believe. I ordered mine and by Friday, they were sold out! Same thing happened with Rainier Arms' 20" Ultra Match barrels. I was on the list to be notified when they were available again, got my notification, ordered the barrel and a week later they were sold out agin! Seems QUALITY 308 parts are flying off the shelves. I'm thinking of going the Fulton Armory chromed carrier route to go with my JP Enhanced bolt. Or I may call YM and wait the two weeks for theirs...

There are a million guys with CNC machines making uppers and lowers but nobody is making bolts?

The simple explanation is that any monkey with a CNC machine can crank out parts. Most of the parts in an AR can have pretty loose tolerances, and the gun will still run fine.  Notable exceptions are the barrel extension and the BCG.  These are the parts that must hold up under extreme pressure when firing.  So ask yourself, do you really want a no-name $39.99 bolt in your .308? The same bolt that will be inches from your face every time you pull the trigger...

Honestly, I wouldn't even put a JP BCG in any of my AR10s.  ArmaLite designed the gun, I'll stick to trusting them for replacement parts.

The simple explanation is that any monkey with a CNC machine can crank out parts. Most of the parts in an AR can have pretty loose tolerances, and the gun will still run fine.  Notable exceptions are the barrel extension and

the BCG.  These are the parts that must hold up under extreme pressure when firing.  So ask yourself, do you really want a no-name $39.99 bolt in your .308? The same bolt that will be inches from your face every time you pull the trigger...

Honestly, I wouldn't even put a JP BCG in any of my AR10s.  ArmaLite designed the gun, I'll stick to trusting them for replacement parts.

Slash, I have the complete JP LMOS & your CAR-10 XH buffer with Armalite spring. Do have have any thoughts as to the performance of this combo?

Thanks, mike

My policy is to always use a bolt and carrier that were manufactured by the same company as the barrel extension. ArmaLite barrel = ArmaLite BCG  DPMS barrel = DPMS BCG, etc.  Most aftermarket .308 barrel manufacturers will tell you whose barrel extensions they use and/or give you a choice. If not I move on.

The simple fact is that the .308 world is different in many ways from the AR15 world. The BCG components in a .308 are not designed/manufactured to a common standard. Each company sets their own specifications. ArmaLite has specifically and publicly cautioned against using off-brand BCGs with their barrels.

I've seen cases where brand A barrel + brand B bolt resulted in dangerous headspace issues, but when the same parts were mated with ones from the same manufacturer everything checked out fine.

This is not a matter to be taken lightly. I always use the CORRECT parts and I rest easy.

My policy is to always use a bolt and carrier that were manufactured by the same company as the barrel extension. ArmaLite barrel = ArmaLite BCG  DPMS barrel = DPMS BCG, etc.  Most aftermarket .308 barrel manufacturers will tell you whose barrel extensions they use and/or give you a choice. If not I move on.

The simple fact is that the .308 world is different in many ways from the AR15 world. The BCG components in a .308 are not designed/manufactured to a common standard. Each company sets their own specifications. ArmaLite has specifically and publicly cautioned against using off-brand BCGs with their barrels.

I've seen cases where brand A barrel + brand B bolt resulted in dangerous headspace issues, but when the same parts were mated with ones from the same manufacturer everything checked out fine.

This is not a matter to be taken lightly. I always use the CORRECT parts and I rest easy.

Some of the most sound advice I've seen yet. The only alternative to this way of thinking to me, is to have a matched bolt sent to you from the barrel maker. In this way, you can get a bolt that's been specifically headspaced to your barrel.

Slash, yes that is sound, if not critical advise. That is why I chose a manufacturer that supplies all of these components. I did not mention to you that I also purchased JP Supermatch barrel with which bolt comes matched with barrel. My whole upper is JP, except for receiver. I have your buffer/modified spring in a UBR. Will this be good combo with all that JP LMOS stuff?

I can see where this personal policy might be easy and definitely safe, but I rebarreled my DPMS LR-308 with a barrel from Fulton Armory and all I had to do to be sure my barrel and bolt were headspaced properly was send my bolt to Fulton Armory.  They headspaced the bolt/barrel right there and sent both packaged together to me.  The entire process from when I dropped the bolt in the mail to when I had the new barrel in hand was 1 week.  Now my DPMS shoots MUCH better.  The factory barrel was an inconsistent tent stake and now it shoots "lights out" with the new barrel.  DPMS bolt carrier group, Fulton Armory "Criterion" barrel. 

I am using a  BAT barrel extension. I will headspace it to the bolt that I buy. Headspace will be perfect. My POF lower and upper were made on a CNC machine and the tolerances appear to be better than my Colt and RRA AR-15s. I don't think there is a problem with the better lowers/uppers out there. Just make sure they are compatible with each other. I do not want a piston gun so I am not using POF parts beyond this.

98% of the time when I find an out of spec receiver it is a billet/CNC part.  The machines are very accurate, but sometimes the guys programming them slip up.  It is very rarely that I see a problem with forged receivers, and even then it is usually more cosmetic than functional.