• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mega Machine .308 receiver questions

6500rpm

Just about ready to drop the hammer on an AR in .308 and wanted to know the overall impressions on the Mega Machine upper/lower sets. Have they shown to be a proven design and consistant quality? Any known pitfalls?

Are there proven carrier, barrel, or buffer manufacturers that work well with with the Mega brand? Last would apply the same questions to their monolithic design upper.

Thanks for taking the time for input, first post and limited experience with AR's at this point, but I've built many AK's and other weapons, high end mechanic by trade and tinkerer by design. Lurked and read for some time and now it's time to ask questions and commit.

Mark

First off, welcome to the forums Mark!

To answer your question, there are several here who have built of of Mega's matched receivers, and I have yet to see a complaint with regard to quality or performance. I personally have built off the matched monolithic receiver set and my rifle performs flawlessly so I will give you a rundown of how it is currently configured.

MA Ten Monolithic Receiver Set - Rifle Length

AR10 Buffer Tube

Chrome Silicon buffer spring and standard buffer

Fulton Armory Titan Lower Parts Kit

Young Manufacturing chromed 308 bolt carrier

Fulton Armory Titan Bolt

FA Titan Barrel, 18.5"SS threaded 1:10 twist

FA Titan Gas system

Bennie Cooley small profile muzzle brake from JP Rifles

Combat Arms Accessories UPG-16 hand grip

ATC SR Gold trigger

Magpul PRS stock

Harris S Series bipod

Larue QD bipod mount

SWFA 30mm scope mount

10-40x50 scope

5-Shot Group:

17coxw.jpg

The Beast Itself:

[img width=810 height=607]http://i43.tinypic.com/10ngxs3.jpg

This post is almost exactly like my first post a few weeks ago hahaha.  My parts list, is almost exactly the same with the exception of buffer, gas block, and barrel. Oh and my mega mono will have the single rail on the top.  Matt.Cross

How do you like that barrel?  Is it made by Criterion?

Still gathering bits for my build but received my match set of Megas and i must say they are very nice. The FFL who received them for me was also quite impressed, and said he might snag a set for his next build. The finish is flawless and fit is perfectly tight on all pieces, not to snug and not to loose. They do tend to cost a bit more, but with a little hunting can be found for good prices. "Other AR15 sites" have coupon codes that can get the price pretty darn low at Aim.

Is the barrel you have on there this one?

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185nmmedss1x10936gasblock.aspx

If so that is a heck of a deal for a barrel that shoots that well!

That's the very one!

This post is almost exactly like my first post a few weeks ago hahaha.  My parts list, is almost exactly the same with the exception of buffer, gas block, and barrel. Oh and my mega mono will have the single rail on the top.  Matt.Cross

How do you like that barrel?  Is it made by Criterion?

I had thought at one time that it was made on a Douglas blank, but in fact it is a Criterion.

Requires a good barrel, yes. But I gotta give props to the shooter on this  <thumbsup> Barrels just don't do that on their own.

Thank you sir! I'm no marksman by any means, but I give it my best.

Hi  6500    Ive built up two mega's for myself and one for my best Bud. They are all pretty much clones of my first build. The fit/finish of the Mega's are perfect in my book.

Used the dpms chrome bcg's and the fulton chrome bcg.Rainier 18" select barrels ,and troy extreme battlerails,along with magpul acs stocks,flatwire buffer spring and a plain ol car buffer....they all go boom everytime and no feeding or eject problems....my Bud's FFL is a gun snob...when he saw the mega come in he was impressed enough to get himself one :)  Wash