• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First AR Build. Thoughts and Opinions Please.

usspfnorman

Hey guys, been reading through the forum and finally decided to register and make a post.  A co-worker of mine talked me into making my first AR from the ground up.  I've done a few things like converting saiga's and adding rails to ARs but nothing this major.  Any who, this is my build list and would like some opinions on it. 

18 inch threaded .812 diameter krieger barrel ordered today.  Waiting begins :(

Mega Maten Rifle Length Monolithic Ambi Combo from Rainier.

Geiselle 3 gun trigger from Rainier.

AAC 51T Muzzle Brake from Rainier.  Hoping that the Silencer Co Saker comes out in .308 sometime.

Dpms complete BCG from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Dpms Rifle Length Gas tube from Cheaper Than Dirt.

AR15 Panther Tactical Grip from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Magpul Mbus for BUIS.

American Defense MFG bipod qd mount.  For a bipod I already have.

Lower Parts Kit without trigger from Fulton Armory.

Magpul PRS Buttstock Assembly from Fulton Armory.  Includes rifle buffer tube, spring, and buffer.

Larue QD Scope Mounts.

Leupold Scope..... Undecided thinking mk4 of some kind with the h 58 reticle.

Gas Block...... Undecided needs to be low profile .936 diameter.  Just cant decide if I need an adjustable one just in case I buy a suppressor for it someday or not. 

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated but I'm really here for answers to the scope and gas block questions.  Also let me know if I left anything out that I may need.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I have the PRI adjustable GB on my 300BLK. I know that you said yours needs to be .936, so it is not the exact same one as mine, but as far as I know, there isn't another adjustable GB on the market that's as small as the PRI, let alone being smaller, so what I'm getting at is that, if the PRI won't fit under the rail, I can't think of any other that possibly could.  Since your asking about whether it will fit under the MA TEN monolithic rail, I'm guessing that your rifle length gas system will locate the GB under the rail, Are you sure about that?

If so, you would be forced to make some type of access hole in order to be able to adjust the gas impulse.  I'm also not sure if the set screw adjustable gas blocks like the PRI would be the ideal choice for a suppressor. I think you'd get better results with a gas block that has 2 or 3 settings like the Noveske switch block or equivilant.

The mono rail has cut outs in the bottom of it for the gas block.  Since the rail and receiver are all one piece the gas block has to be the kind with the 2 screws going up on the bottom not clamp style.  I was hoping that one of the holes in the rail would line up right or close enough so that i could get the allen wrench to the screw to adjust it.  And the Noveske wont work because the rail  will cover it up.  And Noveske posted on another forum not to use there switchblock for 308 because its specifically made for 556/223.  Idk if thats really the case but thats what they said.  JP wont work either they dont make one with the 2 set screws on the bottom.

I'm not able to have suppressors in my state, so I have not researched this very thouroughly, but, I think DPMS or Armalite, make an adjustable gas block for one of their .308 guns. I have no idea if they are .936 ID or if they mount with the two set screws or not. I'm thinking that you may have no choice but to go with the PRI or use a low pro non adjustable GB. I was just offering the opinion that a  screw adjustment type GB is not ideal for use on a rifle where you plan to switch back and forth from suppressed to non suppressed regularly, but based on your parameters it may by your only option, short of fabricating something of your own design, or possibly trying to modify a non adjustable low pro.

Ok sounds like I'll just have to try the PRI and go from there.  My understanding of the screw type gas block is that you adjust it down as far as you can to still have it operate a 100 percent.  That way when you switch over to a suppressor it will get more gas but will not over gas the rifle.  So you don't have to switch anything once its set.  Thanks for the help guys I'll post pics when I get all the stuff and show the progress.  Just sucks having to wait 20 weeks for the barrel, but i suspect it will be well worth the wait.

20 weeks? Try 12+ months! I have been sitting on my thumbs since 04/2011 for my carbon fiber wrapped barrel to be finished.

don't let him fool you, it's both thumbs together, no lube, and he's still smiling after twelve months, although a little looser. oh, he's pissed about the barrel though

I had not heard of the practice of setting up your gas impulse at the minimum setting to operate unsuppressed and then just leaving it there to shoot with the can, then again, as stated above, I can't have one so it's more of an intelectual pursuit than for any useful purpose, when I read about them. I will be interested to hear how that works for you. A couple of things do come to mind. If you set it for minimum reliable cycling with one load, You may have to stay with that if you don't want to be adjusting the GB for different unsuppressed loads, and from what I've read some guys like to have both supersonic, and subsonic loads for suppressed operation, so that might require some further adjustment. I would definitely make sure that you have access to that set screw. By the way, on mine I took a small (tiny) nut and got myself a longer set screw that protrudes from the side of the GB enough so that I can thread the nut onto the set screw and tighten it against the side of the GB in order to make sure that the screw doesn't move and effect my adjustments. I've also heard from people, that the Gas Buster charging handle is a really good idea for a suppressed AR.

Ok sounds like I'll just have to try the PRI and go from there.  My understanding of the screw type gas block is that you adjust it down as far as you can to still have it operate a 100 percent.  That way when you switch over to a suppressor it will get more gas but will not over gas the rifle.  So you don't have to switch anything once its set.  Thanks for the help guys I'll post pics when I get all the stuff and show the progress.  Just sucks having to wait 20 weeks for the barrel, but i suspect it will be well worth the wait.

That's not the way I would use an adjustable gas block.  Then again, I'm not a big fan of adjustable GBs.

Would I even need to worry about over gassing the rifle without an adjustable gas block, since it has a full length buffer tube and spring.  Do people just use them for comfort so they don't get as much gas in there face?  I have shot a .223 AR suppressed that didn't have an adjustable gas block and it didn't seem like there was much gas coming back.  What do you guys think, just forget the adjustable block and get a regular low pro?