• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 upper Receiver vise block

• 8 months later...

How does it do, in removing a barrel nut?  No offense, but I see it breaking/cracking an upper receiver, in the locations noted below (red arrows).  Been there, done that, and broke receivers with a setup like that.  Only when removing barrel nuts, though. 

The counter-clockwise stress on the receiver when working a tight barrel nut - it can split an upper right at the front of the ejection port, right down to the bottom of the upper.

Have you tried to remove tight barrel nuts with this setup yet?  Installing barrel nuts with something like this will be more than adequate.

post-71-136297287579_thumb.jpg

post-71-136297287585_thumb.jpg

I have removed stubborn barrel nuts with this setup. The question here is "how tight is tight"? I suppose if it took 300 ft.lb. to crack it loose, something else might give, but under normal conditions, no problem....

My setup incorporates an alignment bar that goes through the upper receiver, adding more bearing surface than just an upper and lower block setup could afford.

In my setup, the alignment bar supports the points indicated by the red arrows, thus adding more bearing surface and allowing removal of stubborn barrel nuts. Another plus with this setup is you can't over-tighten the vise because you are clamping the picatinny rail, not the receiver body.

In a setup without an alignment bar, (such as the Armalite® unit), the points indicated by the red arrows are not being supported internally, and the receiver could easily crack while removing a stubborn barrel nut, or worse yet, you could accidentally crush the receiver by simply over-tightening the vise.

Couldn't you use the bolt carrier (minus the bolt) as the insert?

Not really. The vise clamping block needs to be as close as possible to the front of the receiver for maximum support. Using the carrier for alignment puts the vise clamping block too far to the rear of the receiver which will create problems. Also, the carrier itself does not offer the 360º internal support as does the alignment bar.