Grilling

imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I might need a couple filets. Oh look...here they are. Trying oak ridge "carne costa" on mine. 

image.jpg

Oh Damn good choice!      those look to be bout 9mins a side for med rare at 500 degrees          havnt tried costa  lemme know      droool !

Wash

I've never had an issue with their meat, they've actually been rated very high on meat quality

I've always had great luck with Sam's club meat. Only place around here to get better quality is a small grocery that focuses on cutting to order and of course the best, getting it right from the farmer doing the feeding! Sam's usually beats them all on price.

I've always had great luck with Sam's club meat. Only place around here to get better quality is a small grocery that focuses on cutting to order and of course the best, getting it right from the farmer doing the feeding! Sam's usually beats them all on price.

agreed, most my stuff comes from a butcher/farmer. Smoking meat ribs/pork butt/brisket I get In the cryo vac bags from Sam's. 

Actually the first pork butts I ever got came from a butcher and the looked more like loins and I had to order them. 

For the record, I misspelled the seasoning. It's "carne cRosta" with an R. They came out great. Pulled them at 135. I might not season another filet with that stuff.  It's good, but ones with just a little black pepper and sea salt were good too. This stuff claims to make a better crust over direct heat. Might try a little less next time and pan sear it first before it goes out. 

image.jpg

Edited by DNP
Add pic

I don't really use much more that salt pepper and garlic on steaks no sauce none of that. I grilled some bacon wrapped TL on NYE I had one left few days later I rubbed each side with butter heated a cast iron skillet up good and then turned it down, butter crusted over nice and they reheated nicely.

here you go wash 

image.jpeg

DNP the tenderloins look awesome!   so the oakridge didnt do it ...never used that one....their stuff is strong did it overpower you...did it crust up and seal in juices like all their rest??     Wash

It should have been put on sooner. The reccomend 45 minutes prior. I gave it 15. The Crosta was no more juicy than the salt and peppers. The seasoning was good, maybe a little overpowering. Might try it again on another steak and follow the directions. it wasn't bad in any way, don't get me wrong, I just usually go a little more on the plain side for steaks.   

DNP they do look fatty....part of smoking is bringing home the good lookin meat....like I didnt do and had to throw it away....gotta have good product

But nice bark and smoke ring.....St louis are kinda like that if they have fat al over...you do need a lil fat though  babybacks for sure next time.......taste wise and  and how done were they?

keep you a notebook         Wash

Tasted great. For the most part, the meat was good. Struggled a little with some of the membrane and the thinner edges were borderline over done. Not at all disappointed on the taste level. The dominator rub was beautiful!  

Tri tip tomorrow night. 

Tasted great. For the most part, the meat was good. Struggled a little with some of the membrane and the thinner edges were borderline over done. Not at all disappointed on the taste level. The dominator rub was beautiful!  

Tri tip tomorrow night. 

that membrane is a pain in the balls! I had one I couldn't get to got even with the paper towel trick so I just scored it along the bones, it's better than nothing

I don't really use much more that salt pepper and garlic on steaks no sauce none of that. I grilled some bacon wrapped TL on NYE I had one left few days later I rubbed each side with butter heated a cast iron skillet up good and then turned it down, butter crusted over nice and they reheated nicely.

here you go wash 

image.jpeg

Shepp with that pink all the way thru....did you wet brine or dry brine at all?    were the ribs not ever frozen?    Wash

I rubbed them 2-3 hours before I put them on, but that's it. I don't think they were ever frozen

Yep thats the secret...never been frozen will give you that great color..... ive had a couple of smokes that were like that,but couldn't get that pink every time....now that you told me never frozen i remember that my cooks with ribs from the butcher (not frozen) were the reason for the great color...thank you for jogging  my ol noodle Ha.....no more frickin frozen or previously frozen  for me       Wash

Tonight's tri tip could have been pulled about 10 degrees sooner. Cooked at a little over 400 with the smoke daddy kicking in a 50/50 pecan and hickory. This was a pre marinated jobber. Pulled at 135 but might have hit a little higher. Reverse sear for 2 minutes/side on the gas grill. Will try again, but pull at 120-125. Wasn't too tough, but approaching it.  Not much left. Even my boy who dislikes a lot of red meat and bread too....devoured his sandwich. I can't wait to be able to do this right...it's gonna be great. 

Swithched the Traeger to P0 and with it running on high it bounced between 403 and the highest I saw was 416. Was about 55 outside, no wind. Will have to see how it does down at 225 again. Built in digital readout was sticking around 375 (high setting aims for 450). I may wind up trying that other controller down the road, but I'm happy for now. 

Mathis was the best(only) pic I got before it all disappeared. 

image.jpg

Tonight's tri tip could have been pulled about 10 degrees sooner. Cooked at a little over 400 with the smoke daddy kicking in a 50/50 pecan and hickory. This was a pre marinated jobber. Pulled at 135 but might have hit a little higher. Reverse sear for 2 minutes/side on the gas grill. Will try again, but pull at 120-125. Wasn't too tough, but approaching it.  Not much left. Even my boy who dislikes a lot of red meat and bread too....devoured his sandwich. I can't wait to be able to do this right...it's gonna be great. 

Swithched the Traeger to P0 and with it running on high it bounced between 403 and the highest I saw was 416. Was about 55 outside, no wind. Will have to see how it does down at 225 again. Built in digital readout was sticking around 375 (high setting aims for 450). I may wind up trying that other controller down the road, but I'm happy for now. 

Mathis was the best(only) pic I got before it all disappeared. 

image.jpg

it's a learning experience forsure! That's what I like, and once you perfect somthing you can more to somthing else and try to perfect that

DNP you are hooked now!   yep you will get to know your smoker and recipes...keep a journal so you know what you like and what you dont like

what rub did you use? oh i saw it was marinated nevermind...lol     yep a tad less...remember if you let it rest even just covered  with foil it will continue to cook but it will also get more juicy even for 10 mins...  looks like the p0 setting is working out...great   its hard to find tri tip down here...  good going!  you like pecan?  yummy

Wash

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic