• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone reloading 357 SIG

MikedaddyH

Going to start reloading 357sig. Just want some recipies to save me a little time and money. Picked up a RCBS die set today for this cartridge. Also got a Lee trim kit for  the 40S&W. I will be modifying 40S&W brass , just happen to have a few thousand empty cases.

Looking for a powder and charge for 125gr bullets.

Will be using Win wsp and CCI 300 primers.

TIA

Mike

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing with the setup and need a little less than .50mm extra height to make the 40S&W case into a 357sig, the shoulder is just short. Do they make a low profile shell holder or will a small base shell holder work ??

The only solution i can think of is to grind the top of the shell holder down .50mm. Any thoughts ???

I know your die instruction probably say screw the die into the press until it just kisses  the shell holder (then if it is carbide back it out a bit for no contact).

Experiment this:  with the .40 S&W case in the holder, arm all the way up and case into the die, is the die making contact with the shellholder? 

I had a similar issue with a different caliber (not forming brass though) and found that the upforce stretched out all the slack in the assembly JUST enough to give me an issue like yours.  My solution was to turn the die in PAST the "just touching" point (no, don't go ramming your shellholder into the die...just see where it touches, back down and give the die a little extra twist).

Watch carefully so that there is no die-to-shellholder contact, if the "stretch" I've described is the culprit.

If the stretch isn't the case (no pun intended) get to grinding!

Oh yeah...are you annealing the cases to make them a bit more pliable before starting?

Jon

Found the solution on GT and took 0.005" off of the shell holder.

Tested a few casings...OK.

I am not annealing the cases. One and done on the first batches.

Using misc brands of brass on the first loads. I sorted 3k of 40S&W cases this afternoon.

The height is short on the 40S&W cases when converted. A few people have stated not to bother doing this. My cases are between 0.011" and 0.017" short of the lenght in the books but none of the 1x 357sig cases are that height either.

I have tried a two step sizing method. 1st use the Carbide 40S&W die then the steel 357sig die. This works well on the 357sig 1x cases also. No lube needed !

Oh yeah...brass fun party!

I've had new never fired brass that was short by that much on a couple of different calibers.  I'm now of the opinion that with most semi-auto/revolver cases it isn't critical (unless your pressures are north of 40,000psi).

That opinion has absolutely NOTHING to do with using a Lee hand trimmer to do a couple of thousand .357 Magnum cases.  :tweed:

Jon

Alright I loaded 50 of the converted 40S&W with 125gr XTP's and IMR 800X. It is a starting load and I will keep the pressure under 35k psi. The 357sig 1x rounds also were loaded with 125XTP and IMR800X.

Picked up some 1x nickel 357sig cases and some Sierra 140gr JHP SportsMaster bullets loaded them with 9.4gr of Imr 800X and Win wsp primers.

I'll try these out this week.

Went to the range last week and shot the 357sig rounds. The converted 40s&w worked with out problems. I did have an issue with some nickel 357sig 1x rounds. Fixed them today. I ground 0.003" more off of my shell holder (Shell holder height is 0.242"). Also set my max height COAL to 1.138" , had a problem with rounds loaded to 1.1405". The Sierra 140gr JHP and the Hornady 125gr XTP work great in this platform.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a box of Berry's Plated 125gr FP and a box of Sierra 140gr JHP Sportsmasters for the 357sig. Made 100 of the 125gr FP with 9.2gr of IMR-800X and 100 with 9.3gr of Imr-800X.

I also made 50 of the 140gr FP with 9.5gr Imr-800X and 50 with various weights of Accurate #7.

Careful with Berry's, use as little crimp as possible.  Some have reported to me that a tight crimp results in a nice copper guilding down the barrel with higher velocities.

Jon

Jon is correct, if you crimp the Berry's bullets you'll see your accuracy go down the tubes. The plating is pretty thin and the general recommendation with them is that you only crimp enough to remove the bell on the case mouth. That is why a lot of the IPSC guys won't use them.

Thanks guys, using RCBS seating die and NO FCD. Shouldn't be a problem. More worried about having the velocity too fast and the plating being stripped off during flight. I should be safe under 1300 fps. Saving up the plinkers for my AR pistol which is in the build process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I brought this back ... I have a new gun Glock 31 in 357sig . Shot 117 rounds Sunday and after the .3rd Mag it started working very well on various types of Ammo. 

Upper limit on powder charge is 9.4gr of 800x with a 125gr projectile. Also Sig SD Ammo does not cycle well, it’s hot ! 

Speer 125gr FP cycle well as do Hornady 125xtp. 

Did not take any 140gr Sierras.

Shot 2 Mags of converted 40S&W cases and they worked flawlessly!

64D55B98-952A-4EAF-B3D6-E68D6D6D2A43.jpeg

3343F5A9-6467-4136-92B9-FC912A40BA8D.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Went through all the ammo I made in 2012 and used the Lee FDC on . Oh what Fun ! 

Also made a Thousand rounds of practice ammo with Berry 125gr FLatPoints using converted Federal 40s&w brass.

Hornady 124xtp and the converted Fed 40s&w brass with Federal 100 Primers using 9.2gr or 9.3gr of 800X is a great Range load. I am running an OAL between 1.127” and 1.131” with the Lee FDC.

Some notes ; 125gr Projectiles with 800x and any loads over 9.5gr are to hot to cycle properly. Also the Sig SD factory ammo may be too hot for my gun, it doesn’t cycle consistently.

16 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Went through all the ammo I made in 2012 and used the Lee FDC on . Oh what Fun ! 

Also made a Thousand rounds of practice ammo with Berry 125gr FLatPoints using converted Federal 40s&w brass.

Hornady 124xtp and the converted Fed 40s&w brass with Federal 100 Primers using 9.2gr or 9.3gr of 800X is a great Range load. I am running an OAL between 1.127” and 1.131” with the Lee FDC.

Some notes ; 125gr Projectiles with 800x and any loads over 9.5gr are to hot to cycle properly. Also the Sig SD factory ammo may be too hot for my gun, it doesn’t cycle consistently.

You gonna be out here next weekend, brother? 

21 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Yes 

HELL YEAH!!!   Meet at my house at 11am or after, on Friday, 15 March.  That'll be about the soonest I can get Matt there...  :thumbup:

(I already know this means your ass will show up Thursday night...   :banana: - just let me know you're doing it WAY BEFORE 15 minutes prior, fucker...  :thefinger:)

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

HELL YEAH!!!   Meet at my house at 11am or after, on Friday, 15 March.  That'll be about the soonest I can get Matt there...  :thumbup:

(I already know this means your ass will show up Thursday night...   :banana: - just let me know you're doing it WAY BEFORE 15 minutes prior, fucker...  :thefinger:)

:laffs: