• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone reloading 357 SIG

MikedaddyH

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot a couple hundred rounds of the converted 40s&w brass rounds with Hornady 124 XTP’s and they cycle flawlessly,  Ran the CFE Pistol with Berry FT 124 Thick plated and 800X loads with 124XTP. Had 2 rounds that did not fire with primer strikes and both were Win WSP , every Fed ? went boom ?! As far as accuracy... Matt was ringing Steel at 376 yards with a load using 9.1gr of 800X. I even hit steel at 250 yards. The loads with 9.2gr  , 9.3gr & 9.4gr of 800X are stout but not hot . I only used up 5 rounds of SD Ammo I let someone shoot, I probably had 250 to 300 rounds go through the G31 over the weekend. And just 1 box of 357sig brass ammunition and 5 SD rounds. I am very pleased with the formula and process of this 357sig load developement.

• 3 months later...

I bought 2000 rounds of 142gr fmj FT bullets this month so I will be developing a load . Hoping to get around 1375 fps that's 808 joules and a TKO of 9.9 , and a Factor of 195. Bullet has a sectional density of .16

To give you guys a reference point I had a warm load with 125gr XTP's that we shot off the top of a mountain ...  Was 1525 fps , 875 joules , 9.7 TKO , 191 Factor and 0.14 sectional density.

Edited by MikedaddyH
Decimal point

50 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

To give you guys a reference point I had a warm load with 125gr XTP's that we shot off the top of a mountain ...  Was 1525 fps , 875 joules , 9.7 TKO , 191 Factor and 0.14 sectional density.

Hitting a target 250 yards away, below you, from a hilltop, WITH a pistol...    was a mind trip...   :hail:

6 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

That load was NOT Hot , Tom ,Matt ... Can I get a comment on the lack of heat !

Up on that hill, you said that was a "warm load."  I've also shot your "Warm 10mm loads" before, and those fuckers launch brass into the next county and break 2 out of 11 wrist bones on Mere Mortals, every shot...  NEXT shot, a couple more, next shot...  I can't drive home because my fucking hands don't work anymore...  

...Now, you actually ADMIT that you've developed a HOT .357 SIG load...   How the fuk you think we're gonna take that Mikey?...    :banana::lmao::thefinger:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Up on that hill, you said that was a "warm load."  I've also shot your "Warm 10mm loads" before, and those fuckers launch brass into the next county...

...Now, you actually ADMIT that you've developed a HOT .357 SIG load...   How the fuk you think we're gonna take that Mikey?...    :banana::lmao::thefinger:

Maybe you've got another thing coming !

I shot a lot of rounds that Saturday and took notes . Just to make a comparison between the hot 10mm loads and the warm 357sig loads each has 9.3gr of 800X in them .

You guys are going to poop bananas sideways when I show up with a 9 x25 Dillion gun ! That's a fully grown up 357sig round on steroids !

I am going to do this one again .

Here is a comparison of a few calibers:

9mm S&B fmj 115gr 1201fps 499joules 7.0TKO 138Factor

My 9mm range load 124gr 1150fps 494Joules 7.2TKO 143 Factor

Factory 40s&w fmj 180gr 1090fps 644Joules 11.2TKO 196Factor

My hot 10mm load 180gr XTP 1225fps 813Joules 12.6TKO 220Factor this one cycles,

My Winter load 10mm 200grXTP 1200fps 867Joules 13.7TKO 240Factor this one won't cycle on a warm day RobO and Tom shot this one a real PITA !

My 357sig range load 125grXTP 1525fps 875joules 9.7TKO 191 Factor this is the one we shot of the top of the mountain ,and it is accurate and well under book max numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues , picked up 2k of Hornady 142gr FMJ .355" diameter bullets and now I must put together load data on a bullet that has NO printed DATA anywhere !

So I made 100 + with my starting load of 8.7 gr of 800X @ 1.140" with a very light crimp. Using data from 147gr and 140gr charts. Climbing this ladder should be interesting to do.

Found a load on GF reloading section that I could emulate ; 140gr FMJ .357 with,  9.0gr 800X @ 1.146" using Remington SRP in a G31 . Velocity of 1406fps. I don't use those primers and my bullets are a smaller diameter.

I have a book value for 140gr XTP with 9.5gr of 800X @ 1456fps at 38,000psi so that's going to be the Max load for my Ladder test.

Picked up a pound of Longshot yesterday, the numbers look good on load sheets . Maybe faster than 800X. I have seen some crazy max load numbers on this powder on other forums. They are over book value on weight of charge but still under that max pressure of the cases. I will not go there !

9.1gr to 9.2gr should be about the max load for this bullet with Longshot .

Thinking about starting at 8.0 gr of Longshot this should be about 1400fps with 1.140" OAL

Picked up a pound of Power Pistol yesterday and made a range load. This one is in the middle of the load scale. I am using 7.2 grains of Power Pistol ,Federal 40 brass & Federal 100 primers set at 1.135" OAL with the Hornady 142gr FMJ on top. Should clock in a little under 1250FPS. I made almost 500 rounds last night.

Made up some powder puff rounds for Tom to shoot . Nickle40brass - CFE Pistol 6.5gr - Hornady 142gr FMJ - Federal 💯 @ < 1150 fps.

I am not a fan is Nickel cartridges , they are hard and not as pliable as brass and tend to crack when sizing . Also I had had two break and had to remove them from pistol Chambers. One was a Speer SD factory round that almost F_ed up a brand new Storm lake G31 barrel.