• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hey look out

It's a good testement to how well designed/built US subs are.

In more current sub news https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cqjrq0ewj77o

A Chinese nuclear-powered attack submarine sank in its dock earlier this year while under construction, in a major setback for the Chinese military, according to US defence officials.

f616e250-7ce3-11ef-a3e7-9991bec82357.jpg

A sub sinking isn't great but it happens but having it sink while tied to the dock...:bitchslap:

On 10/1/2024 at 11:44 AM, KSdefender said:

2005?  Nothing to see here.  🙂

While one less Chinese sub is always good, I am more concerned about their ongoing hypersonic anti ship missile development / deployment.  

The more I investigate hypersonic weapons, the more they seem like a two edged sword. They are fast, but you can’t hide them. The Russian Kinzhal hypersonic missile has proven to be a bit of an overhyped weapon system. Fast but not really maneuverable. A lot still to learn as there is a theory that the plasma bow wave caused by hypersonic missiles makes an air to air weapons lock difficult. In the Kinzhal’s case the Patriot seems to have no trouble locking on. With the amount of corruption in the Chinese military, and the pressure to meet expectations or else, I think there is a good chance there is a lot of hype about them to help the manufacturers save their own necks.

Popular Mechanics just had an article about the Chinese sub that sank. Apparently it is the first model of a reduced size nuclear attack sub, and the reactor may still be on board.

Edited by Sisco

On 10/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, Sisco said:

The more I investigate hypersonic weapons, the more they seem like a two edged sword. They are fast, but you can’t hide them. The Russian Kinzhal hypersonic missile has proven to be a bit of an overhyped weapon system. Fast but not really maneuverable. A lot still to learn as there is a theory that the plasma bow wave caused by hypersonic missiles makes an air to air weapons lock difficult. In the Kinzhal’s case the Patriot seems to have no trouble locking on. With the amount of corruption in the Chinese military, and the pressure to meet expectations or else, I think there is a good chance there is a lot of hype about them to help the manufacturers save their own necks.

there was a video last year of 4 Patriot batteries firing 23 missiles at an incoming Kinzhal and hitting nothing. The Kinzhal bullseyed the control center set up right in the middle of the launchers. the kinetic energy of that beast looked like a nuke going off. Cost the US taxpayers around $100M in under 2 minutes. I sure hope we have something that can actually knock one down. The age of naval warfare is decidedly over the moment a hypersonic punches a hole clean through a $20B carrier. 

10 hours ago, blue109 said:

there was a video last year of 4 Patriot batteries firing 23 missiles at an incoming Kinzhal and hitting nothing. The Kinzhal bullseyed the control center set up right in the middle of the launchers. the kinetic energy of that beast looked like a nuke going off. Cost the US taxpayers around $100M in under 2 minutes. I sure hope we have something that can actually knock one down. The age of naval warfare is decidedly over the moment a hypersonic punches a hole clean through a $20B carrier. 

In this day and age you need extensive documentation that really happened, as well as a completely trusted source. Not saying it didn’t happen, but like a lot of Ukrainian evidence videos, Russian evidence videos are faked as well. Skepticism is man’s best friend now a days. I do know there is a bit of skepticism in U.S. military circles about whether hypersonic missiles are all they are cracked up to be. 

Channels supporting both teams had played the video. Only difference was Russia said it was a single hypersonic, while the Ukes said it was 7, and 6 of them got shot down but one slipped through.  I don't think there's any evidence of patriots being able to hit something moving that fast, and there were no flashes indicating hits, so my money is on the Russian story. 

I would expect US to downplay them, since we don't have them but the pathetic evil Russians made it work.