• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Build from scratch or purchase complete

orbela

I am a amateur this is my first AR, I own a shotgun for hunting and I am going to use this AR for hunting big(Deer, Hogs,and Bears). My question is should I build a AR-10 from scratch or do I buy a build AR. I am looking toward DMPS Panther's LR308(Bullet Button) or a 26' RRA Varmint 308. I am trying to get best accuracy that is the reason I want to build my own so I can customize the weapon, but I don't know if it will be too difficult to work on the gun. My budget is between 1k-2.5k a weapon this light and have good stopping power. Can anybody help me in this predicament?

I'd say that you could easily put one together, or buy one, for under $2500, but not sure about including the suppressor in that price as they're usually up near $1000 alone for a good one. by the way, don't know if your in good shape, but if I'm reading your post correctly, I think your talking about a long, heavy gun for hunting if your planning to run a suppressor on a gun with a 24" barrel.  As far as building vs buying, most here agree that you can't build one cheaper than you can buy, unless you do some serious bargain hunting for parts on the forums, but you can put one together in a configuration that isn't comercially available, such as a certain handguard or barrel. Something else to consider, You'll be able to get lots of good advice on this forum on building one, but you need to be honest with yourself about your mechanical abillity. Do YOU think you can put one together?

If you are unsure about your skills in building, I suggest you buy a completed upper, and build the lower yourself. The upper is the only part that requires all the "special" tools. Just find a builder who will make the contour/design you like the best. Addax and LOKI Weapon Systems are a good affordable start.

As for a flash and sound suppressor... Where do you live that you need a "bullet button" but can have a "sound suppressor"???

As for a flash and sound suppressor... Where do you live that you need a "bullet button" but can have a "sound suppressor"???

Was thinking the exact same thing - OP, if you live in Cali, you can give up on the suppressor idea.  Sorry, man.  :-[

Welcome aboard orbela!

You are definitely in the right place, for either option you chose.  Unless you want to build to learn or hone skills, I would say you can pick up something as accurate as you could build.

Give us a little more info, we will reach right into your wallet and spend that money for you!

<thumbsup>

Thanks for all the input seems like I will be doing a lot of hunting I will need to do it myself. I do think I can build something if I am given instructions. I will see what the people in the forum are in need of cash. What build can I make that are simple and good for amateurs.

Was thinking the exact same thing - OP, if you live in Cali, you can give up on the suppressor idea.  Sorry, man.  :-[

My understanding when I researched it was as long as you have a bullet button I can place anything on the weapon.

My understanding when I researched it was as long as you have a bullet button I can place anything on the weapon.

A sound suppressor (aka: Silencer) is very illegal in California. They are a completely different animal in comparison to a firearm. A Flash Suppressor, Muzzle Brake and Barrel Compensator are muzzle devices designed to control aspects of the rifle that are not associated with dampening the sound. A standard muzzle device costs between $50-$200. A sound suppressor runs around $1,000 and has to be registered with the Feds.

orbela, If you've decided to go the build it yourself route, there are certain tools that you will need to buy as you go (unless you've got friends that already have them). You'll need a reciever vise block (to hold the upper while you're installing the barrel) along with a bench vise to hold it in, you'll need a barrel nut wrench that fits the type of barrel nut you end up using, you'll need a number of punches to install roll pins, and a few other tools such as a castle nut wrench, if installing a collapsing stock. The main thing that you have to pay attention to is parts compatibility, certain stock choices will require a particular type of buffer for the gun to function properly, You also will want to have the chamber headspace checked before shooting the gun. The members here can walk you through it, and none of it is especially difficult, it just requires a certain amount of patience, and interest in the mechanics of the gun. If you like to play around with mechanical things, building your own can be a rewarding experience, if, on the other hand, your only reason for building vs buying, is to try and save some money, or avoid paying up front for the complete gun, by buying your parts one at a time, you may find that the whole thing turns out to be an exercise in frustration for you. Understand that, as with all things mechanical, you will have to deal with parts that don't always fit exactly as expected. One other thing to consider, a factory built gun will generally bring a higher price at resale, than a home built, should you elect to sell it later on.

Here is what I tell people in my classes and something to think about...

You have two catagories. Build it OR Buy it.

If you build it, you have the satisfaction of saying YES, I built that and enjoy it... BUT, if something goes wrong, you need to know how to fix it.

If you buy it, it will come with a LifeTime warrenty to get anything fixed as long as it was not from neglect.

I am not sure with the other companies, but I do know for a fact that ArmaLite stands behind there warrenty and will help when they can.

As mrraley points out, a warranty is a good thing to have when you have around 2K invested in a rifle. But I have to tell you, there is a certain amount of satisfaction that one derives from being able to diagnose a problem with your own gun, (because you're the one that built it) and remedying it, vs boxing it up and sending it back to the Mfg, for a tech, that may have less mechanical aptitude than you, to diagnose and correct the problem, hopefully getting it right the first time.