School the newb *ready to shoot*

85 Jimmy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, here is the list of parts I put together. Let me know if this stuff will work so I can start ordering stuff.

UBR stock

Troy 13.5" TRX rail

Rainier arms select 18" barrel

DPMS bolt carrier group

MIAD

.308 bolt catch

low pro gas block and gas tube

AR-15 LPK

whatever buffer spring and buffer yall suggest

You will be LEAGUES more satisfied with a "match" or better barrel. The "Select" barrels are ok for plinking and light hunting, but if you're expecting to any long distance accuracy you're going to be more satisfied with the match. They make an "ultra match", but the cost is only justified if you are taking advantage of the quality.

I had the 14.5" select barrel. I replaced it with a 14.5" match barrel. Absolutely no regrets.

I don't know who makes the select barrels. I'm pretty sure the match barrels come from Wilson barrels and the ultra match barrels come from White Oak Armament Barrels

You will be LEAGUES more satisfied with a "match" or better barrel. The "Select" barrels are ok for plinking and light hunting, but if you're expecting to any long distance accuracy you're going to be more satisfied with the match. They make an "ultra match", but the cost is only justified if you are taking advantage of the quality.

I had the 14.5" select barrel. I replaced it with a 14.5" match barrel. Absolutely no regrets.

I don't know who makes the select barrels. I'm pretty sure the match barrels come from Wilson barrels and the ultra match barrels come from White Oak Armament Barrels

The only reason I put down the select barrel is b/c their ultra match barrel says "returning soon". Do you have any recommendations on other barrels around the same price as their ultra match?

How does the rest of the list look?

The rifle is being built for play and occasional hunting, but I want to be able reliably shoot out to 1,000+ yards.

Jimmy, with a good 18" barrel, with the right twist for Sierra Match King 175 grainers, you'll be able to knock the living poop out of steel targets at 1,000 yards, and hear it for personal satisfaction.  If you can do it, a properly built .308 AR can easily do it.  Easily.  <thumbsup>

By the way, 1,000 yards and 1,000 meters are quite different.  By about another 100 yards. 

Depending on the scope you choose, it's almost a given that you're gonna need a mount with some elevation (20 MOA or more) built in. 

Ok, here is the list of parts I put together. Let me know if this stuff will work so I can start ordering stuff.

UBR stock can't beat this

Troy 13.5" TRX rail check out Troy's Alpha Rail. It is very similar with a much easier barrel nut and assembly

Rainier arms select 18" barrel look at Fulton Armory barrels

DPMS bolt carrier group chrome or phosphate? Both are fine, chrome is easier to clean

MIAD great grip, it's a hard sell for me to choose between it and the MOE+

.308 bolt catch despite the regular rules about mixing parts, use an Armalite bolt catch. They are a little larger and are known to be an improvement.

low pro gas block and gas tube I'm a big fan of the YHM clamp on low pro gb and YHM melonite gas tubes

AR-15 LPK nope, gotta have a 308 version

whatever buffer spring and buffer yall suggest Slash's heavy buffer and Armalite spring.

Hope this helps a bit.

Remember, in the end this is your rifle, not mine. You are fully authorized to tell me to kiss off, and build it however you want. All the parts you picked are nice/good quality parts. I just shared my opinion to expand your options.

What about the rainier arms ultramatch 18" barrel? I found one for sale and was wondering if it's worth it.

I looked at fulton arms, but it looks like for 18" barrels they just have med weight barrels.

I like em!  I use the Rainier select barrel which is the lesser of the two ,and does not use the shilleen blank or whatever....and these selects shoot sub moa out to 500 yds...so yes the ultramatch is great!    <thumbsup> Wash

What about the rainier arms ultramatch 18" barrel? I found one for sale and was wondering if it's worth it.

I looked at fulton arms, but it looks like for 18" barrels they just have med weight barrels.

To be honest, I went with the 20" and have read nothing but RAVE reviews from other owners of the same barrel so the 18" should be no exception. I would JUMP on one as quickly as I could if I was you- they WON'T be in stock long! Good luck!

To be honest, I went with the 20" and have read nothing but RAVE reviews from other owners of the same barrel so the 18" should be no exception. I would JUMP on one as quickly as I could if I was you- they WON'T be in stock long! Good luck!

Truer words have not been spoken - if you find something in stock, that fits your desires, you better grab it.  <thumbsup>

With a med length gas system what buffer and buffer spring am I going to need?

You match the buffer and spring to the stock system, not the gas system on the barrel.  In your case, with the UBR, you need "carbine" parts - shorter buffer and spring, for a collapsible stock (and for a 308 AR - not AR-15 parts).

Rifle buttstock parts are not gonna work with the UBR.

Yeah, Magpul recommends Slash's Heavy Buffer be used in the UBR. Thats the setup I have and I have no complaints at all. I use the CAR 10-XH 6.5 oz buffer w/moded Armalite spring from Slash. Well I do have one complaint, that thing is expensive but l ate it anyway.

If you go UBR you should do it, IMHO.

GET THAT ULTRAMATCH!!!

Yeah, Magpul recommends Slash's Heavy Buffer be used in the UBR. Thats the setup I have and I have no complaints at all. I use the CAR 10-XH 6.5 oz buffer w/moded Armalite spring from Slash. Well I do have one complaint, that thing is expensive but l ate it anyway.

If you go UBR you should do it, IMHO.

GET THAT ULTRAMATCH!!!

After I did some research I found that the car-10 xh is what I'm going to use. One day I plan to run a suppressor and they say you want to run the extra heavy buffer for that. I'm also hoping it reduces the recoil enough for my wife to shoot it.

I got the barrel, it should be here today. It's the polished one, so after I get it together, depending on how it looks, it might end up getting duracoated.

I also priced all the lower parts desperate and not in a kit, since I'm using the MATEN I have to use ar-15 parts. Well it's only going to be $18 for the lower parts... I still need to figure out my trigger.

Way to go Jimmy !    that barrel should be great.....now we are rolling,,soooo triggers?

Up until 3 weeks ago I was a RR national match fan....but the Geissele 3 gun trigger is out standing! I have the Geissele ssa enhanced also...but its 3 gun all the way now

your shooting will become better using this bad boy :)  Wash

Way to go Jimmy !    that barrel should be great.....now we are rolling,,soooo triggers?

Up until 3 weeks ago I was a RR national match fan....but the Geissele 3 gun trigger is out standing! I have the Geissele ssa enhanced also...but its 3 gun all the way now

your shooting will become better using this bad boy :)  Wash

I have a RRA 2 stage in my AR-15 and I'm happy with it, but I'm wanting to see what else is out there. This build is already going to break the bank so I might as well put some money into my trigger, but this is a paycheck build, so I'm going to have to check the for sale ads here and on AR15.com or whatever it is...

Can someone verify this barrel I got is an ultramatch? I looked on rainier's website but can't find anything. The markings on the barrel say "rainier 41dk3", "LR-308 1-10" I know what that means, then there is "22". And those are the only markings on the barrel...

Can someone verify this barrel I got is an ultramatch? I looked on rainier's website but can't find anything. The markings on the barrel say "rainier 41dk3", "LR-308 1-10" I know what that means, then there is "22". And those are the only markings on the barrel...

Jimmy  give them a call .....Toll-Free: 877-556-GUNS

:) Wash