• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

School the newb *ready to shoot*

85 Jimmy

Just placed an order with Brownells for a Troy TRX battlerail, midlength gas tube, low pro gas block, and the gas tube roll pin. I was going to order the BCG, but it was out of stick before I could place my order...

So now I need

LPK

BCG

Buffer and spring

muzzle device

BUIS

Already ordered/have

MATEN reciever set (backordered, 2 weeks down)

18" ultramatch barrel (have)

UBR stock (backordered)

MIAD grip (have)

TRX rail (ordered)

gas tube (ordered)

gas block (ordered)

Am I missing anything?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just placed an order with Brownells for a Troy TRX battlerail, midlength gas tube, low pro gas block, and the gas tube roll pin. I was going to order the BCG, but it was out of stick before I could place my order...

So now I need

LPK

BCG

Buffer and spring

muzzle device

BUIS

Already ordered/have

MATEN reciever set (backordered, 2 weeks down)

UBR stock (backordered)

MIAD grip (have)

TRX rail (ordered)

gas tube (ordered)

gas block (ordered)

Am I missing anything?

Way to go Jimmy! now you're getting with the program!  one thing on the trx battle rail... hope you got the 13.8 length...thats the one that covers up the middy gas block....and looks so fine!..one thing more trx makes two different heights of rails...for the mega ma 10 you need the trx high rail...make sure you get that one !

you just gotta get a good trigger group or that ultra match dont mean crap :)

I used to be a rock river nm trigger fan got many of them and for 100 bucks a good  trigger but...ive drank the kool aid and now have 2  Geissele triggers...one a ssa enhanced two stage pretty much like a Rock River...but better.....twice the price...worth it?...kinda..but I now have their super 3 gun in a new mega build....man oh man...its a single stage that is one fine trigger....and yes worth the money! gulp gulp... <laughs> Dont forget the barrel wrench! I use the pri qstn for the muzzle,but there are a bunch of em out there...find one that necks down/tapers down close to the diameter of your barrel so it looks sweet <thumbsup> This new build had an ambi bolt catch latch installed from mega....if yours doesnt have that....order the 308 bolt catch  latch and dont use the ar15 one from the lpk

You sure you want the ubr stock? its heavy and expensive....check out the magpul acs...ive never had a car stock lock up so solid ,with not a hint of wiggle until I started using these.Cheek weld is awesome too.

:)  Wash

What you have ordered or have so far is beautiful.

What the guys said about trigger. I can't speak for triggers except for the one I have. I think it's a great trigger.

But everybody raves about the Geissele (spelling?) and they make lot's of models to choose from. They make a 3 Gun trigger that might be the one I'd choose right now. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/344901/geissele-super-dynamic-trigger-3-gun-version-ar-15-lr-308-small-pin-154-matte

Then there is the AR Gold for .308. That is another I would have on my short list. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45085/Product/AR-STYLE-308-GOLD-TRIGGER-MODULE

I have the JP EZ trigger from JP Enterprises, comes with JP safety selector included in price and you can have that be ambi if you want for just a wee little more money. http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

There are so many other trigger options, these ones are on my short list. Well I have the one but if I had another build going I'd likely chose one of the other two just to try a different one.

Whatever trigger you choose, if you don't know already, it is highly recommended the minimum trigger pull weight for a .308 AR is 4lbs. If you go much less than that is said that the .308 AR can go full auto on you. That is because of recoil of the .308 if you have too light of a trigger pull the trigger can be bouncing off your finger and keep going, I think it happens something like that or other, however it happens it's not good.

I forgot to ask, What color did you chose with the Magpul stuff?

I've got the UBR and I love it!!! Don't listen to Wash he not know what he talking about  <lmao> <laughs>

Oh, but he's right the UBR is heavy but that does not bother me, it is very well built and is the only one that held up to a butt stock crash comparison drop test, all others broke, UBR did not. It's expensive too yeah? That doesn't bother me either, well not anymore anyway  <lmao>

No Fail  <lmao>  Im just trying to save Jimmy money <lmao> you know me.. im not an enabler <laughs>...so here you go Jimmy...this is my lil honeyhole for saving funds :) Wash

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-21532-magpul-ubr-ar15-utility-battle-rifle-collapsible-stock-black.aspx

or this <laughs>

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-21534-magpul-ar15-acs-adaptable-carbine-storage-stock-mil-spec-black.aspx

so that $139 savings can go for the trigger!

dont tell anyone bout this place...okay? <laughs>  Wash

No Fail  <lmao>  Im just trying to save Jimmy money <lmao> you know me.. im not an enabler <laughs>...so here you go Jimmy...this is my lil honeyhole for saving funds :) Wash

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-21532-magpul-ubr-ar15-utility-battle-rifle-collapsible-stock-black.aspx

or this <laughs>

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-21534-magpul-ar15-acs-adaptable-carbine-storage-stock-mil-spec-black.aspx

so that $139 savings can go for the trigger!

dont tell anyone bout this place...okay? <laughs>  Wash

Darn it!!!  <lmao>  :D

Jimmy, have you seen one of these yet? http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-21591-magpul-ar15-afg1-angled-fore-grip-black.aspx

Thanks for the site, Wash  <thumbsup>

Jimmy here is a BCG in stock http://www.fulton-armory.com/boltcarriergroupcompletetitanincludesboltcomplete.aspx

But I don't like that price, this one I think was less the last time I checked here, must be the times?

What do you think, Guys?

But if it came down too it I would do this    http://www.fulton-armory.com/bolt-carrier-titan-chrome-with-chrome-key.aspx

And then get this    http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-EB308

All my magpul furniture is black, and I did get the 13.8" high profile TRX. And I've already ordered the UBR, so it's too late to back out of it. I wanted to put one on my AR-15, but put a CTR on it instead. I got it for $201 using a coupon code I got from the forum. I'm not in a huge hurry to get everything in, I still have a 14 week wait on the receivers. Next paycheck I'll probably get a Geissele trigger group, the lower parts that I need (not a whole kit), and the buffer and spring. The check after that I'll get some KAC micro BUIS, smith's vortex flash hider, and a B.A.D.A.S.S. safety selector. Then I'll be on the look out for a BCG. Rainier arms has them in stock right now, but I've already spent this checks play money.

I did get the ambi lower, so i shouldn't have to worry about the bolt catch. I have seen the angled fore grips, but I'm going to steal the GG&G bipod off my AR-15 to put on this, I might get an AFG for the 15.

So now I need:

Geissele trigger

LPK

Buffer and spring

muzzle device

BUIS

B.A.D.A.S.S.

Magazines

Already ordered/have:

MATEN reciever set (backordered, 3 weeks down)

UBR stock (backordered)

MIAD grip (have)

TRX rail (ordered)

gas tube (ordered)

gas block (ordered)

chrome BCG (ordered)

How tight should a low pro gas block be? The Rainier ultramatch calls for a .750 gas block, so I got a Troy .750 low pro gas block. Last night I slide the barrel nut on the barrel and attempted to put the gas block on and it made it maybe 1/8" onto the barrel shoulder. So I threw the barrel in the freezer to see if it would shrink enough to slide it on. Well this morning I attempt to put the gas block on with the barrel fresh out the freezer and it only makes it about 1/4"... I have both the barrel and gas block in the freezer now...

Here is my method from my last "issue".

I put a chamber brush in the chuck of my 18v power drill, then I wrapped the brush with a heavy layer of extra fine 0000 steel wool. After a thorough polishing job on the inside of the gas block, I greased both surfaces before attempting assembly. A few light taps from a plastic hammer were required for faster results.

Tight is better than loose. Tight can be fixed. The 308 system is not quite 'plug and play' as you are discovering. There will be some fitting required.

Just checked them with a caliper and the barrel is spot on at .750 and the gas block is at .748  ::)

Yep you can run into a tight gas block...I would do what the Guys have said....first a lil moly grease and gun oil mix..,  my witches brew.Dont be forcing the gb on ...you dont wanna scratch up your barrel....looks like though you need to polish out just a tad of the inside of the gb...one time this happened to me....I just took some wet/dry sandpaper and wrapped it around my  pointer finger and polished it out oil and all.. till it fit....took 5 mins maybe  :)  Wash

If your measurements are in fact accurate, you have a .002" interference fit. Most people feel that it's not an ideal situation when you are creating a localized constriction on the barrel. Picture it this way, bullet travels down the barrel and reaches a point where there is a ring (gas block) squeezing it and then passes the constriction where the bore has no outside pressure on it. Now keep in mind, the barrel wall is thicker than the GB wall so the barrel stretches the GB bore more than the GB bore squeezes the barrel. But the problem is so easy to cure that there's no excuse not to do it. As 98 said tight is better than loose, I'd rather have parts that I can fit than parts that are a loose fit. I've heard people say that a loose fit isn't a problem because the carbon will fill  and seal it over time but I've sent GB's back that were a loose fit. Also, in this case it's better to polish out the undersize GB than to remove material from the barrel. I usually remove material from the part that is out of spec, in this case the GB. You would be fine with a 1/2 thousandth under or oversize GB bore. This is an area where it may have no effect on the function of the rifle if you were to press the GB on as is, but most accuracy conscious builders wouldn't want the press fit, also the set screws on the bottom of some gas blocks, it is not a good thing to crank them down too tight, for the same reason, you create localized pressure on the barrel bore. Better to mark the spots, dimple the barrel slightly and snug them down just enough to hold the gb in place, and don't forget to use red loctite on those set screws.

looks like though you need to polish out just a tad of the inside of the gb...one time this happened to me....I just took some wet/dry sandpaper and wrapped it around my  pointer finger and polished it out oil and all.. till it fit....took 5 mins maybe  :)  Wash

This is what I did. Took some real fine sand paper and polished the inside of the gas block until it fit. It was still tight enough that I had to lightly tap it on with the handle of a screwdriver. I hope it doesn't have to come off for any reason in the future...