• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

E O Tech 510

The "EOTech 510" is a series of optics, not a specific optic.  You'll need to specifiy which one you're talking about, here.  In the 510 series, you have the 512, 516, and 517.  There are differences on those specific optics.

Which one are you looking at?

The 510 series are perfect for civilian and LE shooters. The 550 series is for night vision use. So unless you plan on using NV scopes, the added feature is worthless.

512's are great stand-alone products. If you plan on adding a magnification too, go with the 517. The side mounted controls are easier to manipulate when the magnification is in place. I load these up with lithium AA batteries and get LOTS of use. I replaced my last set of batteries, not because they were dead, but because I couldn't remember how long ago I had put them in.

I have three of the 512 models in play on various rifles, they are excellent short range units.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood the tech in the whole 510 series to be the same, but the battery required is what makes them different, which changes the frame size obviously.  Like the 512 is 2 AA's, another uses CR123's, ....

Hi,

Yes the 512 was the one I was refering to,sorry! They are available for about $400 at optic world! I'm not sure about the 65 moa circle and the 1 moa dot. I might prefer just the 4moa dot like on the Aimpoint M2????? How do you guys like the circle set up on the 512???  Thanks!

I have three of the 512 models in play on various rifles, they are excellent short range units.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood the tech in the whole 510 series to be the same, but the battery required is what makes them different, which changes the frame size obviously.  Like the 512 is 2 AA's, another uses CR123's, ....

The 512 uses two AA batteries, and has the controls on the rear of the unit.

The 516 uses two CR123 batteries, and has the controls on the side of the unit. (Shorter than the 512)

The 517 uses two AA batteries, and has the controls on the side of the unit. (Same size as 512)

Don't be surprised if the 510 and 550 series halo sights go extinct in the near future. It looks like EOTech is focusing a lot more attention on the XPS Series lately. Especially with the recent price drop on 512's.

I am personally a fan of 1 and 2 MOA dots. I'd like to try the 2-dot version, just to see what kind of drop it marks.

Hi,

Yes the 512 was the one I was refering to,sorry! They are available for about $400 at optic world! I'm not sure about the 65 moa circle and the 1 moa dot. I might prefer just the 4moa dot like on the Aimpoint M2????? How do you guys like the circle set up on the 512???  Thanks!

I made a mildly long reply about that right here - hit the link...

http://308ar.com/forum/general-discussion/what-is-the-negativity-with-eo-tech/msg17255/#msg17255

If I was going to war, inserting myself into a live-fire situation on a daily basis, I'd probably pick an Aimpoint (or an ACOG). They are all NV compatible, built beyond super rugged and the battery life is unparalleled.

For everything else (hunting, plinking, home defense, Law Enforcement) I highly recommend the EOTech. Give me the HHS, and I would finish out the rest of my career with it on my rifle. (The EXPS series has an 8hr shut off)

The T1/H1 is a great run-n-gun piece when saving weight, but the Aimpoint reticle is still just a dot (a big FAT dot).

Aimpoint T1/H1 now has the option for a 2MOA dot.  No longer just a 4MOA-only system. 

The M3 series you can get with 2 or 4MOA dots.

The M4 series is a 2MOA-only series.

The PRO optic is a 2MOA-only sight.

2MOA ain't bad, for dot size.  The older M2 stuff I was issued was 4MOA-only, and we made it work - we didn't know the diffeence, then.  Comparitively, now, 4MOA is one fat, huge dot... 

I fight myself daily on whether or not to buy this sight for my 14.5" 5.56. You like them? What do you know about the Primary Weapons clone??

Primary Arms, I think is the one you mean, brother.  The PA clone is a 3MOA dot, and it works very, very well, considering what you're paying.  I haven't been able to kill one yet, and some have been on rifles for over a year and a half.  You're gonna make me go get a camera, ain't ya?...  <laughs>  I'll be back in a few minutes... 

EDIT - Here's the ones I'm running the PA mini on.  All the ones on the AR platforms are on ADM mounts - damn great mount for a mini red dot.  The one on the GSR is just using the base the PA dot comes with.  .308 bolt recoil hsan't phased the dot in any way.

post-71-136297278326_thumb.jpg

I wish I got paid royalties on this poop...  :o <lmao> <laughs>

Rob, let me know how you like that dot.  <thumbsup> <munch>

Before you buy that mini, though - I left one more PA red dot out...  I put the M3 clone on my son's birthday rifle last year.  I built the highest quality rifle I could for him, but I'll be damned if I was gonna see him smash up an Aimpoint M3, so I went with the PA M3 clone, in a gen-u-wine Aimpoint QRP mount.  BCM lightweight 14.5 pinned upper - only upper I've never built myself, and bought complete, BCM BCG, standard trigger, BAD-ASS in there (of course  <thumbsup>), KAC M4 RAS non-floating rail with KAC panels and VFG, Matech rear sight, foliage MOE furniture.  The boy really doesn't know what he has in this rifle.  :o  One day, he'll understand.  <thumbsup>

post-71-136297278335_thumb.jpg