• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Proud owner of a new 308 MK12 with a question

First, I'd like to say hello. I think I've read almost every post in the DPMS section of this forum. And with out you guys, I may not have purchased my FIRST 308. So THANKS!!    :D.  Pics and a range report coming soon.

As soon as i got it home, i broke it down, and thoroughly cleaned everything. When I started to reassemble the BCG, I saw something I had never seen before. My question (and maybe I'm over thinking this) is am I supposed to insert the firing pin as far as I can before inserting the retaining pin? The firing pin is different than the one on my stag 2t, it appears to have an additional "retaining swell" closer to the bolt. I assume it's like my AR and I'm supposed to just drop it in and pin it.? Any input will be appreciated!

So far my rifle appears to all I had hoped it would be!!

DPMS MK12 .308

Welcome aboard !    Heres a lil tip on the firing pin retainer....notice that it fits in nice n tight....but watch out after you break in the rifle...when i take out the bcg's out of my rifle that pin will just fall out real easy....im always hunting those damn things after a day at the range and it comes down to cleaning the Bcg's...they arnt like the clip pin on a ar15...they stay put...my 308's are  loosie goosie...even after I spread em apart with a knife they still fall out when cleaning :)  Wash

Thanks for the replies guys! Didn't make it to the range this weekend, but i will soon enough.  Also, did any of you break in the barrel as DPMS recommends?  It seems a like a bit much. Did it appear to make a difference? I understand its hard to compare, but i wonder what kind of accuracy improvements are really possible with that sort of break in.  I couldn't find much for reviews on this particular rifle, so i plan on doing a thorough review after iv sent a few down range. Until then, here are a few pics!

post-2181-136297278293_thumb.jpg

post-2181-136297278299_thumb.jpg

post-2181-136297278306_thumb.jpg

post-2181-136297278312_thumb.jpg

ahahaha I didn't notice! :-[ I will check the pics a little better in the future! Just picked up some Federal GMM, i cant wait to shoot this thing! Its a beast, kinda makes my AR feel like a toy.

Good job!  Yes, that was my first thought after firing my 308....damn all those ar15's ive collected over the years....hmmmmm well they are like popguns...but I  woudnt wanna get tagged by one either!    :)  Wash

Thanks for the replies guys! Didn't make it to the range this weekend, but i will soon enough.  Also, did any of you break in the barrel as DPMS recommends?  It seems a like a bit much. Did it appear to make a difference? I understand its hard to compare, but i wonder what kind of accuracy improvements are really possible with that sort of break in.  I couldn't find much for reviews on this particular rifle, so i plan on doing a thorough review after iv sent a few down range. Until then, here are a few pics!

I tried the DPMS break in, as far as I'm personally concerned, it's a fraud. Find the round that it likes and stick to it like glue. Wasting barrel life on break in rounds is pretty much pointless, IMHO.

;D ;D Awesome, you handeled the recoil like a champ  8) i wasnt even sure if the bang i heard was you shooting until i noticed the brass bouncing off the wall! What about the bore snake? Is there some reason i wouldn't want to use one?

Hi Final  came home and used the boresnake!...the concussion coming off the 16" barrel was sumthin else!

:)Wash

Agreed on the blowback from the 16" barrel.  I have both a 24" and a 16" 308 and its like night and day (of course its also night and day when you are carrying them too!)

After reading extensively about ballistics, bullet weight, powder charges, etc, I am seriously considering dropping the 24" altogether since there is negligible performance gains at the distances that I shoot (I keep it under 600 - 650 yards). 

Congrats on your new 308, it should provide years of faithful service.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, thought id post a pic from my trip to the range.  I dont have a scope for it yet so i took my burris ar332 off the ar and used it for the day. This group was the last 4 rounds i had with me, otherwise i would have fired one more shot.  75yds using 168gr Federal GMM. Every round fed, fired, and ejected without problem (using DPMS magazines) I believe DPMS has another loyal customer.

post-2181-136297280485_thumb.jpg

No worries TFG, we're here to help. I think Edge misunderstood your first comment, and what exactly you were trying to unscrew.

The swivel stud should be screwed directly into the rail. If not, then it is screwed into a plate on the inside of the rail. In the past, I put a roll pin punch or an allen key through the hole in the swivel stud for the leverage to twist. It shouldn't be much more than "hand-tight". If you have any difficulties it may be secured with LocTite. Don't go overboard heating it up. It's a very small part, and a butane lighter should suffice for adequate heat.

DON'T LOSE THAT STUD. In the future, you may decide that a bipod would be a nice addition to your rifle. I believe there are more bipods designed to attach to a swivel stud than there are to attach to a picatinny rail (they're usually less expensive too <thumbsup> ). Having that stud in your parts box may come in real handy during that time.