• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite BCG or DPMS BCG for AR-10 build

Heya all,

Have a question here that I would like to get some clarity on.  I am building an AR-10, Armalite upper and Lower, Larue 13.2 rail, 16 in LW-50 barrel, and FSC30 so far.  I would like to use an Armalite BCG, but they have proven impossible to find. DSG, Ranier, even Armalite do not seem to have them.  This has brought me to look at DPMS instead.  From my research I have read that a DPMS BCG will work in an Armalite upper with an AR-10 Barrel, but the you need to have an Armalite bolt.  Now I have seen this on this site 'Dimensionally Armalite and DPMS bolt carriers groups are nearly identical to within a few thousandth's of an inch of each other. This means they are interchangeable. However the one thing to keep in mind is you cant interchange the bolts between the different brands of bolt carrier. This means only use an Armalite bolt in an Armalite bolt carrier and a DPMS bolt in a DPMS bolt carrier.'  Does this mean I can in fact use a DPMS BCG (including the bolt) with an Armalite spec'd barrel (I really wish BCM would start making .308 BCG's)?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much

Technically only the barrel extension and the and the bolt need to match... That is not the best plan of action though.

I have to 110% recommend that once you pick a format (Armalite vs DPMS/KAC), stick to that format for the remainder of the build.

Keep checking Rainier Arms. Get on their mailing list, so they'll email you when it comes in. If you get impatient, try places like Calguns.net and SnipersHide.com for a used one. I see them on there all the time.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. I just bought a LW barrel, which is Armalite pattern, and comes with a fitted bolt. the rest of my gun is DPMS pattern. I am planning to purchase a DPMS pattern carrier, and I intend to remove the DPMS bolt and measure it, along with the bolt provided by LW. I hadn't checked availability of Armalite bolts recently. My plan is motivated by the number of different Mfg's that are producing DPMS pattern bolts vs the number that are making Armalite. (is anyone other than Armalite even producing an Armalite pattern BCG?). From my research, I've been led to understand that, as listed above, it's the bolt and barrel extension that are the key,and need to be the same pattern, but whenever your entering uncharted terretory, you have to be prepared to make your own decisions and deal with the consequences. In this case, if  the Armalite bolt and the DPMS carrier proved to be incompatible, and were to fail during firing, the consequeces could be severe. I will share my results once I've purchased the DPMS pattern bolt and have measured the two bolts, but, just as with load developement, you should never do something just because you read somewhere that someone else says that they have done it successfully. If you try it or get any other info on this, please be kind enough to share your information and I will be sure to do the same.

Armalite makes one of the finest bolt and carrier units on the market.

If you're going AR10 pattern, stick with Armalite. 762SASS carries Armalite bolts, and if they're out of stock, they usually are pretty fast at filling backorders.

If you're going DPMS pattern, stick with DPMS.

I highly doubt if there would be a failure in either BCG, provided they match up mechanically and headspace properly, but I'm not the kind of guy who likes mixing apples and oranges - if you get my drift.

Thanks for all the helpful info all.  I did email Armalite asking about how long it would take if I purchased a BCG from them since they are out of stock and it would be an order.  The reply I got was disheartening (this is in no way a dig on Armalite), what it said in so many words was that due to the political climate driving demand for the product, the need to supply BCG's for fully assembled rifles, that they could not in good conscience give me a time (I was hoping for something like 3 month, etc).  I did not post the actual reply as it was stated in the mail that it was for the intended addressee, and I do not want to breach that.  Once again I want to stress in no way should this be taken as a negative on Armalite, in fact I appreciate their honesty.

In the meantime while I still have my 'notify me' requests out to sites that sell them, I have seen that JP makes their own BCG which works with AR-10's.  This is more expensive, but I would not be taking any loss in the quality department.  I will wait and see a few weeks as I will be traveling anyways to see what shows up.

If you want to know why this stuff is scarce , well its because a lot of people think commieberry still has a chance to rip off this coming election & people are trying to stock up & or buy before that happens & he signs an lame duck executive order baning all that we hold near & dear.(firearms wise , that is)

Happened four years ago also .

I have never done it ,but as said , as long as you stick with bolt/barrel combo( DPMS/Armilite ), the carrier is said not to make a difference.

Just what I read on the internet . <dontknow>

• 1 month later...

Armalite makes one of the finest bolt and carrier units on the market.

If you're going AR10 pattern, stick with Armalite. 762SASS carries Armalite bolts, and if they're out of stock, they usually are pretty fast at filling backorders.

If you're going DPMS pattern, stick with DPMS.

I highly doubt if there would be a failure in either BCG, provided they match up mechanically and headspace properly, but I'm not the kind of guy who likes mixing apples and oranges - if you get my drift.

This is the best advice.  I agree on all counts.