1. 1. .308 bullet Choice

• 150 HPBT SMK
    • 155 HPBT SMK
    • 155 HPBT SMK Palma (new)
    • 168 HPBT SMK
    • 175 HPBT SMK
    • Moly
    • No Moly

I need some ideas. Up to this point, I have loaded 155 palma bullets as my go to accuracy load, with 155 a-maxes as an "almost as good" substitute load. BL-C2 has been my go-to powder so far because I can load every rifle round I load with the same powder. I settled on the 155s because that was what shot best out of my first .308, a FAL, and I have never revisited that choice. Now I have this monstrous gift certificate from Sierra to use and I am wondering if I shouldn't reconsider my bullet choice, at least.. I am likely going to be able to buy a lifetime supply of bullets, so I need to be a bit more sure than I am.

I also have more rifles to feed now... In addition to my FAL -which truth to be told has always been a 4 minute gun with milsurp, 3 minute with handloads, I now have a couple AR pattern .308's [16" bushmaster and 20" DPMS] and a 18" M1A, all of which are more accurite than the FAL. It seems everyone else on the net likes 168's better than 155's, especially for the M1A. Another consideration is I also still have some SA milsurp that I shoot at closer ranges [<100y] and on hoser 3 gun stages, so being able to load to a similar trajectory and POI is a distinct advantage of the 155's.

Right now 90% of my shooting is under 200y, although sometimes at very small targets, with a very few stages out to 4-600 yards. I may shoot the occasional hi-power match to "practice" my long range shooting, but even then, the longest range within reasonable driving distance is 600y and most of the matches near me are held at 200y. I also do 90% of my shooting with irons. Occasionally I will toss a red dot on for matches without long rifle shots, but I only own 1 rifle that could take a magnified scope easily.. and at worst that would be a 1-4 or 1-6.

So, given all of this, and with the caviat that of course I would work up a load and test in each gun, should I stick with my 155's or venture into the unknown world of 168's?

It doesn't hurt to try. Heavier are all the better for longer range too, but since you don't scope that should not be of concern. but I chose 168 & 175 for you anyway. I'm going to get some Nosler Accubond 180's and try in my AR. I got a good tip on a load from someone.

You neglected to tell us what twist rate is on your rifles ?  Some barrels like light bullets (150 to 155 gr ) some like (165 to 175 gr) others like (180 gr + ) .

I am part way through a bullet test and my 20" DPMS likes 165 and 168 gr bullets.

If I were to start the most logical thing to do would be to buy three boxes of bullets, a 155gr , a 168 gr and a 175gr then make up some loads and test them in each gun. You will find out quickly which rifles like what weight bullets. Take notes !

Good luck.

I am likely going to be able to buy a lifetime supply of bullets, so I need to be a bit more sure than I am.

That is remarkably fortunate!  I have no idea what I'd do with a lifetime supply of bullets, but my first reaction would probably be an internal short-circuit!  :o <laughs>

You neglected to tell us what twist rate is on your rifles ? 

This, right here, is the key ingredient...  Need an answer on that - if you're using this lifetime supply for every rifle, then the twist rate on every rifle would have to be provided, to "guess" the best weighted bullet for all.  <thumbsup>

Lifetime supply of Sierra bullets gift certificate?!?  Does she have a pretty sister that's horny, likes pudgy married guys, wants to be a concubine, and likes shooting almost as much as she likes reloading her man's ammo?!

Barrel twist can be worked with.  It used to really bug me that certain bolt makers offered .30-06 with a 1in10 barrel but their .308s had a 1in12 or even a 1in14 twist.  The science is out there and these AR308s are supposed to handle any safe-pressure load a bolt-action will handle.

Jon

Twist rates:

Bushmaster 1:10

DPMS 1:10

FAL 1:12

M1A Scout 1:11

My point is not to wring every single milimeter of accuracy out of what amounts to 2 military guns and 2 rack grade rifles.  I am mostly working on generalities, my plan is to be able to be able to decide to shoot any of my rifles on a given match weekend without having to worry that I don't have ammo loaded for *that* rifle.  If I could afford FGMM, I would just shoot that, because it mostly sets the accuracy standard for almost every .308 out there in it's 168 gr offering.  OTOH, the 155's have the added ability to be interchanged with SA or most any other decently hot 147 gr surplus ammo and enjoy roughly the same drops and sight adjustments.  So keep the opinions comming. 

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, my choice would lie on the heavier side considering your available twists.  However, i take into account everything you've said, and try to look objectively at what you're asking, and that places my opinion to be strongly in the 155s.  You've shot them, you like them, you have a solid reason for that weight (the similarities to the 147s mil-surp trajectory) so i say stick with what you know.  I do think purchasing a box of the 165s or 168s to load up some before you use your awesome gift cert, just to see what you think as to the performance in each rifle, would be a valued evaluation.  Anyhow, since you aren't terribly concerned with the longer ranges, i would imagine in your few shots at 4-600, you'll be able to make those 155s work well enough for your purposes with a little practice. 

Russ

I have run across some shooters with the opinion that the 155 gr is a better long range bullet than the 168 gr and if you want to improve on it you need to go up to the 175 gr.

They use the 155 gr in the International Palma match because of a weight restriction in the rules, but as in most competitions that results in greater development work being done.

The ranges for the Palma match are 800, 900 and 1,000 yards.

• 11 months later...