• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FNG from WA

FARTHAMMER

As the title states I'm a newb to AR10's but an old hand at the AR15. I'm looking to build a precision long range rifle that will shoot bolt gun accurate and pull double duty as my primary deer/elk/all big game rifle. I'm very interested in the  MEGA MATEN as they are local and all the stuff I've seen from them was top notch. Well thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be a slew of advise and info.

Welcome to our little hideaway. You are in for one hell of a build. Squeezing as much accuracy as you can out of a rifle, and keeping it light enough to hunt with, is a delicate balance.

Stay away from unnecessary rails and combat gimmicks. Even muzzle devices can be ditched. Take a look at the Remington 308 and the JP LRP-07-H for some concept ideas.

Yeah I know all about going broke building an AR and from buying a JP PSC-11. Man John Paul makes fantastic stuff doesn't he? Anyway I'm not into the tacticool thing with all the rails and lasers/light/chainsaw mounts and as for weight as long as it doesn't end up over 20 pounds I'll be fine, most shots are long and prone from a ridge. I was looking at a JP supermatch barrel for the heat dissipator for those long days killing paper zombies from afar. Any other things I should be looking at?

My experience has been that the fit and finish of the DPMS .308 receivers/uppers I've used has not been as good as the Mega receiver set. If building for long rang accuracy a sloppy fit between the upper and lower can be annoying, although there are ways to "fix" the problem if you have it with the DPMS set. For myself, I would not be all that concerned about the 6061 vs the 7075 material, although I'd consider it a plus if the receiver I pick was of the better material. I'd be more concerned with how well the parts were machined.

Since your interested in long range and are not planning to mount anything to it, a light weight free float tube will  save you some money. Since you say that your not that conserned with the weight. I might suggest you take a look at the Magpul PRS stock. I recently picked one up and although I have not had a chance to try it out at the range yet, I really like the LOP and cheek riser adjustments, and I think it feels much more solid than the CTR type collapsing stocks. Good luck with your build.

• 2 months later...

Hiya Fart    I have built 5 mega ma 10's and own 3 <thumbsup> just got thru yesterday building a monolithic 6.8 to go with my monolithic 308.

It just doesnt get any better...when you put one together stand back and take a look ....nothing but smiles!  every mega functions perfectly...gotta love em...need help

?  holler at me :)  Wash