• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

HEY NEW GUYS!!!

98Z5V

Gotta get your attention somehow...  <lmao>

Seeing lots of new registrations, but not many posts.  Hmmm...  I say to myself, "Self..." - well, because that's what I call myself...  :o  "Self, what's going on here?..."  And this is what I'm thinking:

The new guys are just looking around first, me thinks.  They'll start posting.  Big possibility of it all is that people are thinking about getting into the .308, and are just lurking for info.  They don't have any parts or guns yet, and might feel uncomfortable about posting anything just yet.

Maybe a post titled "All those that are thinking of getting a .308..."  and get into the thread with something like "don't be shy about posting questions here, if you're thinking about getting into this shooting platform - post up.  We don't know everything, but between all of us, we can probably guide you in some kind of a decent direction...  "

Then, I realize that junk won't work.  Not at all.  At this point, I don't know what to do, so if new guys want to post up and ask questions, then just let it fly.  Nobody here has a bajillion years on the .308 semi platforms because they haven't been around that long for the civilian (non .mil) community, but there is some experience here on them.  Any question at all is a good one - promotes conversation, enlivens the board, makes you better looking to the opposite sex, grows back some hair in those "thinning spots..."  ;D  It's all good - fire away, speak up, just have fun.  Just don't be shy about joining the conversation, no matter what it is.  Well, .308 semi related, or other board-topic related, anyway...

So, how'd I do, Drew?  You know, since you made me post this...  <laughs> <munch>

I thought I was "self" and you are "your" ......

Hey, we can roll that way, no problem.  <thumbsup> <laughs>

Every once in awhile I have this discussion:  "Self, ya really think there's someone else out there named "Self?!"  When I look in the mirror, I know it's true...  Worries me, but I deal with it...  <lmao>

I've been here for a little bit, though I'm probably considered "new"  in terms of print out production.  I would echo the sentiments above in that whether you have a rifle or not.....post.  I'm a member on a couple other gun boards and I can categorically state that this is the one site that's free of ego's and know-it-all's.

Good bunch of people here.

What do you mean dirigo??? It almost sounds like you are saying I don't know anything???  >:( Compared to Imschur and 98 and some of the others I don't know much.  I've been on the site for a while, and yes I'm a mod, but I have only had my DPMS 308 for a little over a year.  AND, unlike some of the guys (98), I don't have 53 other 5.56 pea shooters too.  My 308 is my one and only ;D shhhh don't tell my fiance I said that :o  If you have a question, speak up, I guarantee you won't be made fun of and I'm pretty sure you will get the answer you need. And for all you super shots out there, if you had to learn a hard lesson, post it....I wanna learn from your mistakes not my own lol <thumbsup>

Dustin

AND, unlike some of the guys (98), I don't have 53 other 5.56 pea shooters too.

Pfffff...  I've only got a handful, man.  Plus, I can't shoot.  <dontknow> <thumbsup> ;D

One could say that the more you post, the more new projects you attempt.  With that, I don't think I can afford to post a whole lot more.  ;D

Nah, it just depends how far gone you are with BRD.  Sooner or later, you'll be way beyond cure - then you're just resigned to the fact that you've got it - and you're comfortable talking about it...  <lmao> <laughs>

I agree with the old saying, "there is no such thing as a stupid question."  How will you ever learn if you don't ask??  I am currently building my second LR 308 based rifle, and don't think I would have attempted either one without the knowledge gained here. 

I'd post a lot more if I had my .308 AR working, but the replacement barrel is still back at the manufacturer because it was improperly machined and I had to send it back after it trashed my original bolt and started trashing the replacement bolt I bought.

What's worse is, the manufacturer has a reputation of, let's say, taking their time on repairs of their defective equipment.  I got no confirmation that they received the barrel, so I have absolutely no idea where it is or what is being done to rectify the situation.

Had said things not happened, I would have been the poster child of posts, because it was a new barrel, it was a long bull barrel for long range target stuff, and that's all new to me so I would have been full of questions to ask here.  As it stands, I'll have no questions to ask about something I can't do, right or wrong, because I don't have the tool to do it.

Should I post asking questions about the 338-378 Weatherby Magnum?  That's what I'm doing load workups on while I wait for the .308.

Agree from above, and on a serious note, seems like a good website.  I'm lurking for any info I can get.

A few things for members and lurkers. All of my sites require checking ego's at the door. Folks being treated poorly and getting beat up for questions is one of the reasons I originally felt the need to create these sites and forums.

I still get mountains of email from guys too shy  or who think joining and posting at a forum is beyond their pc abilities. My message to you guys is sign up, if you cant get through the registration process email me and Ill register you myself. We will get you pc literate. Dont be shy. Only one person here bites and he has had his shots (Tom).

You folks who are just starting out or who dont have a 308 based AR yet there are plenty of other areas for you to participate even its just general chatting or telling 98zv5 he needs to get off his butt and get a .338 Lapua.

We are all here to learn share and more importantly enjoy ourselves.

Drew

Lynx, sorry to hear about your jacked up barrel fiasco.  That's not right, man...

Should I post asking questions about the 338-378 Weatherby Magnum?  That's what I'm doing load workups on while I wait for the .308.

By all means, talk about those works ups - I'm trying to soak up as much as I can about reloading and load development, since I'm getting into that myself now.  It's all good stuff.  <thumbsup>

Only one person here bites and he has had his shots (Tom).

You folks who are just starting out or who dont have a 308 based AR yet there are plenty of other areas for you to participate even its just general chatting or telling 98zv5 he needs to get off his butt and get a .338 Lapua.

Actually, I have had Rabies shots - that's a pretty ugly story, too.  All kinds of experimental shots.  Hmmm...  that might explain alot of me, right there...  <lmao>  ^^^ All that .338LM stuff is why I'm reloading now, Lynx...  :o

What do you mean dirigo??? It almost sounds like you are saying I don't know anything???  >:( Compared to Imschur and 98 and some of the others I don't know much.  I've been on the site for a while, and yes I'm a mod, but I have only had my DPMS 308 for a little over a year.  AND, unlike some of the guys (98), I don't have 53 other 5.56 pea shooters too.  My 308 is my one and only ;D shhhh don't tell my fiance I said that :o  If you have a question, speak up, I guarantee you won't be made fun of and I'm pretty sure you will get the answer you need. And for all you super shots out there, if you had to learn a hard lesson, post it....I wanna learn from your mistakes not my own lol <thumbsup>

Dustin

Whoa guy! 

Just coming back to this topic today.....and all I can say is, I'm not sure where you drew that out of.  The only thing I am saying in my post is:

1.  I'm new here

2.  I've only made a few posts

3.  There are no ego's here

4.  Great site and great group of guys

Hope that clears it up for you.

• 7 months later...

Bump, primarily for good reading...  <lmao>  and the secondary reason to welcome all new registrants again.  There's really never a bad time to get into the conversation here.  Seriously.  Remember, we take humor VERY seriously here...  <laughs>

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. :)  I am starting on my first AR platform 308. have DPMS upper and lowers,  I guess I am going to use mostly DPMS parts, I like the look of the SASS  but the little I have read I don't think I will build that one.  I m going to send fire control group to bill Springfield for a 3.5 lb trigger.  want threaded barrel even if I put thread protector on it.  I have built 2 fnfals  and 7 AR15's  so I am not completely in dark on this build. they are just bigger parts.  I have no idea what FFT to use, it is cold out side and don't know if they can take the abuse. I dont have any safe queens, shoot at home every week and go to range on average every other week. do some reloading . that's enough info  hope to contribute here with some post not just sit on side lines