• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 upper w/sight problems

My coyote has a solid FF handguard was able to get the blind nut that comes with rail [it was the smallest section] dirll 2 small holes one for screw the other for dimple so as not to twist rail.Screw has a dab of blue locktite held nut behind rail with metal u shaped piece and tighten down the attached sling device to that.What do you think bro?  http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG406/103  <dontknow>

• 1 month later...

Ok, free float tube installed and torqued-check

Sling stud installed and loctited- check

green OD canvas GI sling installed- check

175g FGMM ammo loaded- check

1 SRC target installed at 200 yards.

Check zero- 2rds into the X- check

20 rounds into the x, prone with sling at 200 yds- check.

We have a shooter.

Iron sights, this puppy just shot 600yds, 22 rds 199-15x, and 200 yds offhand 199-13x.  Going back out this weekend with the electronic targets at 200,300 and 600 to see if I can psyche myself out some more.

• 4 months later...

Tried an 800pt XTC NRA High Power Match this past weekend with this. First relay had no wind, good scores. I was second relay.. What I originally thought was a dust devil turned into a steady 25knot wind that swirled, shifted, stopped, started and switched. Try off hand with a LR308 that you really haven't shot before. It makes you wish you had practiced more. By the time I got to 300 rapid, I was laughing so hard, I couldn't see thru the tears. Had ammo problems, mag problems, FTF, FTE and the trigger was erractic in let off.  I stopped at 300, packed up as the DPMS gods were telling me something I just couldn't decipher. Finally sunk in. Want to be good at a match? Practice with the rifle you plan to use. Had no problems the day before with my M1A and shot really well. Guess I need to spend some time with this beast and tame it.

Trigger Problems anyone?

• 5 months later...

Here it is November. Most of the problems were me. Never mix magazines. Front sight blade will stick up beyond ears when installed correctly as detachable carry handle with A2 rear sight sits higher. Can't get rear sight down any further so front sight post has to go up. Free float tube has to be tightened to nth-inch/ft lbs or it will spin free causing loose barrel as well. Trigger always will be rough with cosmoline/packing grease still on parts, gathering sand and grit. Cleaning it all off smoothed things out considerably. Extractor will break if steel case ammo used- sheesh. Sighting in using 168 grain practice loads guarantees a splatter pattern. The list was endless. Lucky I didn't have anywhere to go this summer or fall. Now I have to wait for a decent day to bench and sled the beast at 25,50,100 and 200yds to make sure I got it all together right. Receiver upper and lower are still cherry and seem patient with me. I'll sacrifice chickens, goats, cattle you name it just to appease the laughing gods of DPMS. Can't find virgins around here anymore.

Good solid rifle though. Think I'll keep it just to annoy the feds.

Clean the threads of oil/grease & use a little blue loc tite on them to keep hand guard torqued . You will still be able to remove it, if need be .

There are a lot of good triggers out there . If you want to keep it with a std. type trigger , Spikes Tactical has a enhanced trigger set , that are NIB coated & mine settled it at about 5 1/2 # & is nice & smooth . 

ALG Defense also has some nice smooth triggers in stock configuration , the one I have has settled out at about 5 1/4 # & is also coated .

Both triggers are in the $ 60 range, The ALG has two types to choose from .

And of course , there's always the higher dollar ones , which are much better.

Most don't have the problems , you are experiencing with your DPMS . I think they have the largest production numbers of all that pattern of 308AR's & with a lot of them being produced , you get a few that are sub par . Sending it back many times is not a good reference to there customer service, that's for sure .

Had some help cleaning up the stock trigger parts. Once I cleaned it completely of everything I then lubed it sparingly. Smoothed out tremendously. Rifle went back and forth because it was under warranty and I'm cheap-rather have them fix the problem. Out of warranty now so I work it and learn as I go. DPMS still is very responsive via email and was probably more than patient with me originally. I talked to a number of gunsmiths at WOA, Colts, and others. While I am sure they could fix all the problems they would find, upselling me to their particular models/brands just isn't in my financial future. Nice folks all though.

Trying now to find a compatible A2 NM rear sight for the LR308 carry handle. One that sits lower than the one in place but still attaches to the carry handle. Also browsing the 'net looking for a vented full size free float tube that won't break the bank. Can't believe how much folks want for a free float tube with longitudinal slots for cooling. Have had this for over a year and it has less than 200rds thru it. Oh well, now for a break in the weather so I can see where to go next.

Also browsing the 'net looking for a vented full size free float tube that won't break the bank. Can't believe how much folks want for a free float tube with longitudinal slots for cooling. Have had this for over a year and it has less than 200rds thru it. Oh well, now for a break in the weather so I can see where to go next.

Ripper, here's one for $129. You might give them a call to make sure it's compatible with the DPMS platform.

http://guntecusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61_73&product_id=299