• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Calling all the Resident Gurus! (Paging Tom)...

Matt.Cross

Where can I get a rifle-length STRAIGHT gas tube?

Gonna be tough, Matt - it would be something made for a special gasblock, with a higher-than-normal gas port inlet on it.  I know the DPMS SASS gasblock is a little different (and I think it's a higher gas port on the block, due to barrel thickness).

Like Drew said, stainless is a bitch to drill, and small diameter stainless sucks even more.  I don't think copper would stand up to the task. 

Do you have any diagrams of what you're planning to do, Matt?  That would help.  You might be able to get away with a National Match gas tube - they're different than standard gas tube, because they have to clear the internal free float tube.  I haev one of those that I could get pics of.  Hell, I think I already have pics of it somewhere, next to a standard gas tube.  Rifle-length on both pieces.

If you decide to make one, there are two criteria you have to meet:

1) it needs to be 303 stainless tubing, of the correct ID and OD.

2) you need to find a way to flare the end that meets the gas key on top of the bolt carrier.

Where can I get a rifle-length STRAIGHT gas tube? I'm getting ready to have an innovative adjustable gas block prototyped and I will need an unbent gas tube. Anyone that could help me find one, I'd appreciate it immensely.

how about get two or three regular ones, cut them as needed. Make a few sleeves to act as splices and silver solder the entire bitch back together.

^^^  That would work, like a fuckin' champ.  <thumbsup>

EDIT - If you pick up a National Match gas tube, you'd only need one other regular gas tube.  <thumbsup> <thumbsup>

One connection, one sleeve, and only one place to look if it's leaking gas.

Like Drew said, stainless is a bitch to drill, and small diameter stainless sucks even more.  I don't think copper would stand up to the task. 

Do you have any diagrams of what you're planning to do, Matt?  That would help.

I don't have it on a blueprint yet, it's still in my head at this point. I am trying to remember who it was here who built their own adjustable gas block and came straight out of the block with an unbent gas tube. I wanted to follow a similar pattern, but it may not be strictly necessary. I suppose what I need to do is look at the largest common size gas block bore (.937 - .940 probably) and see how close the bore for the gas tube is in relation. So if anyone has a GB for a .936 gas shoulder and you can take a picture and or measure the difference between the bores, that would be helpful.