• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SASS Barrel

MarkB

Hi All,

Hoping someone can clear up a question I have about barrels.  I've seen posts here  that mention SASS barrels, while other posts just simply say barrels.

Is there anything special about one designated as SASS?

If so, do they require anything different than a regular barrel (ie gas block, gas tube)?

Many thanks,

Mark

The ArmaLite SSASS barrel is Ceramic Coated for the tactical apperance, Stainless Steel Match barrel with an adjustable gas block.

Cut with a 1:10 twist for optimized 168gr bullets.

One of the 4 major manufactures that submitted for the gov solicitation. Since ArmaLite did not win the contract, they were the first to go public with it for sale to the general public.

Looking at a Lothar Walther SASS barrel in 16" , I need to confirm the twist, I think the Canadian SASS was 1 in 11.25. Not to fond of the thread, not going to suppress it, I cannot seem to find a brake to fit.

Chambered for 7.62x51mm/.308. Threaded 11/16-24TPI for OPS suppressor. These are black ceramic coated. These barrels were made for a Canadian contract.

Chambered for 7.62x51mm/.308. Threaded 11/16-24TPI for OPS suppressor. These are black ceramic coated. These barrels were made for a Canadian contract.

If you don't run the OPS INC muzzle devices that are specific to that barrel, you'll be out of luck finding anything to fit on the end of that particular barrel.  The most common threading for 30-cal muzzle devices is 5/8 x 24.  Just a heads up.

If you don't run the OPS INC muzzle devices that are specific to that barrel, you'll be out of luck finding anything to fit on the end of that particular barrel.  The most common threading for 30-cal muzzle devices is 5/8 x 24.  Just a heads up.

Thanks that is what I have been finding out, sent a message to OPS Inc. to see what they have.

The reply to my e-mail:

"If it's an 11/16-24 threading and it's set for our suppressors it should also have either a collar or a profiled barrel and it would be set up for a 3rd model suppressor.  If you are looking for a brake for it check out Brownells.com, they should have that threading with our brake.  If they do not let me know and I'll talk to our machinist and get you set.  If you need anything else just let me know"

Sounds like some good guys at OPS Inc.  <thumbsup>

The reply to my e-mail:

"If it's an 11/16-24 threading and it's set for our suppressors it should also have either a collar or a profiled barrel and it would be set up for a 3rd model suppressor.  If you are looking for a brake for it check out Brownells.com, they should have that threading with our brake.  If they do not let me know and I'll talk to our machinist and get you set.  If you need anything else just let me know"

Sounds like some good guys at OPS Inc.  <thumbsup>

They are the best if you ask me. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Daniel Dregne the other day. Great people, great product, and very eager to do anything they can to help you.