• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first build....Maten MKM Key-Mod set ...Need all the help I can get

SoonerFirearms

• 2 weeks later...

For optics, any opinions on the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 Illuminated Mil Dot FFP?

I purchased this a few months back and put it on my Remington 700 6mm rem, but I'm thinking this would work great on this .308 build.

I plan to purchase the KAC 45 degree sights also (future purchase) . Things are starting to add up quickly!!! The JP Silent Captured Spring arrived Friday, so the barrel kit should be here sometime this week. I've wanted to test/review the Silent Captured Spring to see if it's worth the extra money. I've read a lot of good feedback about it....

I wish Mega Arms would call to notify me that my MKM will be shipping out 3 months early. I shot them an email a couple weeks ago to confirm that the estimated Nov 29th delivery date is still accurate. They said they were still on track....Man I hope.

I got my barrel kits in....I need some help.....I was supposed to get them with JPs normal compensator. They came with the Recoil Eliminator on them......

When I get my Mega MKM set in, is it going to be tough to take the Recoil Eliminator and gas block off so I can get the Mega supplied barrel nut on. Is JPs Recoil eliminator going to have a lot more muzzle blast and barrel flip? I don't mind staying with the recoil eliminator....My only worry is taking it off and re-installing it.

I'm not talking bad on JP at all....They have been great, products arrived fast, and their quality is awesome. I'm just trying to decide if I should stick with the recoil eliminator or go ahead and get their normal comp installed on it.

Here is a pic of the barrel kit I just received post-13347-0-40605700-1379112695_thumb.j

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is the comp that was supposed to come with it....

I'm thinking with a 18" barrel, the recoil eliminator might punish me....Please let me know what you guys think I should do.

The recoil eliminator won't punish you brother. Everyone within 10 miles to the left and right of you, yes, but you'll be in the in eye of the tornado.

<thumbsup>

Edited by Matt.Cross

Sounds good....Recoil Eliminator it is......Now......?

Is it going to be difficult taking the Recoil Eliminator and gas block off so I can put the barrel nut on? I want to make sure I get them put back on right.....

What tool do you recommend for taking the Recoil Eliminator off? I don't want to scratch it all to hell...lol

I'm not a newbie to firearms, but I am a newbie when it comes to building them. I'm a virgin with the .308 platform....I'm confident that you guys will help me get through this and answer all the dumb questions I will ask...I'm the type, if I'm not 100% sure on something, I will ask.

I have never installed a barrel, gas block, compensator, trigger, buffer system, or LPK....I have only bought complete rifles until now....This is something I've been wanting to do so I can gain the much needed knowledge I lack with the platform. Since I'm a new FFL holder, I'm trying to learn the AR-15/.308 platform and learning everything I can about the 1911 platform. These are the firearms that I love. I'll shut up now....The 1911 I will tackle after I get comfortable with this .308

Thanks for everything....I'm sure this thread will continue for most of the year.....You guys have been very respectful, informative, patient, and helped me a ton. I'm relying on this forum 100%....

Again, thanks for everything.... This forum truly is the best one I've been a member of....A lot of the others have way too many rude, disrespectful doichebags....I don't see much of that with the .308ar forum.

• 2 weeks later...

What tool do you recommend for taking the Recoil Eliminator off? I don't want to scratch it all to hell...lol

Upper receiver vise blocks to secure the upper.  Appropriate standard open-end wrench for the brake.  For little ARs, it's 3/4".  For the big ones, it varies, but is usually 13/16" or 7/8".  Some are custom/special/different.  There's no written-in-stone standard, outside of the typical (but not always the same) barrel threading (5/8x24).

• 1 month later...

JP told everything was installed hand tight so it shouldn't be hard to get off and put the barrel nut on...

On a side note, Mega Arms contacted me today and said my MKM is ready for shipment!!! Finally, the wait is over.

I still lack a buttstock, trigger, and LPK.....I bet this will push me a little faster to get these things ordered.