• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first build....Maten MKM Key-Mod set ...Need all the help I can get

SoonerFirearms

Greetings 308ar.com.  I just joined this forum. I'm a FFL dealer and decided to order the Mega Arms Maten MKM Key-Mod Extended Rifle Set. I couldn't resist. It will be awhile before it ships, so I thought I would get a head start on educating myself about the AR-10 platform. 

I'm familiar with the AR15 and own a few, but I've never built one. I know the AR10 platform is a little different (maybe a lot?) I want this to be a extremely reliable rifle with quality components. Mega Arms is offering .308 barrels now also. Should I go with one of their barrels or get something else.

I guess it boils down to....What other Components do I need to buy to complete this build?  What manufactures do you recommend for the barrel, BCG, LPK, etc. What buffer spring would you recommend? I don't quite understand the barrel adapter/BCG compatibility thing. 

I'm sure you guys/ladies get these same questions A LOT. I've never put my own barrel on, gas block, etc. I've worked on my AR-15's some, but mainly just the BCG. So my gunsmith knowledge and terminology is limited. I'm just a new dealer (had my FFL for about a year). I have about 6 months to round everything else up so I don't mind purchasing top quality components to complete this build. I don't want to go cheap/less quality on this build. 

I appreciate your time and look forward to any suggestions provided. I will start by browsing this forum.

Lets start with a correction. Only Armalite makes an AR-10 as the parts between these large variants are not 100 percent interchangeable. Referring to them all as AR-10's confuses the conversations.

Now here the deal. Buy whatever you can find in stock. It's crazy out there. No bolt carriers to be had. If you go with an Armalite barrel you need an Armalite BCG. If you go with a DPMS style barrel youll need that style BCG. The DPMS style stuff under normal circumstances would be much more abundant. You need DPMS style or Magpul 308 Mags. You cant use AR-10 mags.

Hows that for a start  ;D

Welcome, let me muddy the waters even more, by saying that Armalite makes the best lpk's, which can be cross platformed, so buy one for your build! I personally think that Geiselle has the best triggers. Your buffer tube can be an ar15 part, I suggest mil-spec, and the best buffers and springs on the market belong to Clint at Heavy Buffers.

Barrels, I like the Rainiers Ultramatch, DPMS based, so stay with that pattern for your bcg, which imho the best are made by Young Manufacturing.

GOOD LUCK ,  HAVE FUN!

Thanks for the feedback.  Knowledge is priceless....This should be plenty to keep me busy for awhile.  I totally agree with the market being nuts. It was hard getting things in before these recent turn of events. It's damn near impossible now. All of my distributors are dry to the bone.  It will be tough rounding up the BCG, Barrel....pretty much everything....Hopefully it settles down soon....I'm hoping all of Feinstein's ignorant, illegal bills get shot down. Again....Thanks....

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the Geiselle triggers, I have three of them. +1 for Rainier Ultarmatch barrels, I also have a Noveske 18", both are great IMO. Battle arms for the ambi safety, i have them in all my rifles. I also have the MATEN MKM on order and keeping my fingers crossed. I like a flash hidder (Smith Enterprises Vortex) vs a muzzle break but we all have our likes. Good hunting on your parts gathering.

I don't know if my advice will reflect the current situation with regards to parts availability, but I recently found an Armalite bolt carrier to complete one of my builds, and when I was searching for it, I noticed that they were much harder to locate than barrels. So, since it's recommended that you match your bolt type (Armalite or DPMS) to your barrel extension, it might be a good idea if you were to wait until you've got your BCG, or at least the bolt, before ordering your barrel, that way you will be able to be sure to order one that matches the BCG you finally end up with. BTW, I've used both types and they each have worked equaly well in the MA Ten receivers for me.

Sounds like a great idea JGun....So far I've emailed Young Manufacturing and Rainer Arms....No reply yet...I really do like the Ultra Match barrel....I think I will go ahead and order a barrel through Mega....I'm sure they are quality barrels....

Anyone know if JP Rifles has a BCG (DPMS style) that will work....I've read people use JP's Enhanched bolt....Didn't know if they carried the bolt carrier also that would work....

A few more things....

LPK....Does it matter? Will any AR-10 LPK work?

I'm thinking I'll got with Geiselle on the trigger.

During the build, which areas should I pay "extra" attention to?

Last thing....Any tools I need to purchase?  I have until November to get everything....This is the expected ship date

• 2 weeks later...

The sooner you want to put it together, the more you will pay. At this point you are left with waiting for makers, or buying from private sellers or Gun Broker at significant mark up.

LPK seem plentiful by privates. Generally $120-150. Who knows about Armalite, and you can give up hope getting anything from DPMS this year. Through out this whole ordeal of looking for parts... DPMS is by far the more popular/plentiful. Lots of Armalite stuff too, just not as much.

Barrels still seem to be around. You can always go custom, who knows what their back log is. I got my barrel from Fulton Armory. They only had 1 in 12s left which I am OK with. I liked Ranier, but I do not know their wait.

BCG are the hardest to come by right now They are going for big money. I have seen DPMS and Armalite BCGs go for $700 on GB. NOBODY has bolts. A DPMS bolt went for $300 on GB, and JP bolt went for $400. I thought I was silly paying $300 for my JP, but it was the last piece I needed.

Fulton still has carriers, but no bolts. I emailed a few times with JP... they are out, and their focus is on getting rifles out the door, but the contact was fairly confident retail parts would start to filter out. Do a back order and wait. "Fairly confident" was the best I got, everyone else just laughed.

I just saw a SI BCG group buy on here just the other day, and they were talking about getting the order.

I got through to Young Man. and they said they do not even know when they will get back to making .308s... right now they are just doing .223.

The above suggestion on waiting for a barrel is a good one. I got my JP bolt which is DPMS, and then I was committed to finding a DPMS carrier and barrel. Of course when you need a particular thing.. seems all that is for sale is the other stuff. Seemed like Armalites were everywhere.  ;D

Pieces parts are just hit and miss everywhere. Nobody has everything... you have to get this here, that there... and shipping on every little thing. It can be pretty maddening.

You have to be diligent... but my rifle is complete. Needed new gas rings which will be here Friday and I'm done. $5 for rings. $11 for shipping. :)

• 4 months later...

Alright guys help me out...I'm thinking about emailing JP and placing an order for both MKM extended rifle sets that are due to me around November....I'll list what I had in mind...If something won't work or if you think I should try something else, please chime in....This is my first .308 platform (DPMS/Armalite) project....I own several AR-15s, so I know what works and what doesn't....The only information I have for this build is your input and input from this site. I'm wanting a dead reliable, accurate, finished product....Hopefully I want have to many headaches once I get it together. Anyways part list...I haven't emailed JP yet....

16" .308 barrel (black Teflon color) w/ Enhanced bolt JPSM308-16L10

- bolt carrier (whichever one you recommend, JPBC-4 or JPBC 4SP? )

- JP adjustable gas block (JPGS-LO...Yay or nay?)

- JP low mass buffer (JPLMB, will this work?)

- JP polished Spring ( JPS-OSC.308 or JPS-OSR.308?)

- Mid Length Gas tube ( GTI- MID)

I found a DPMS LPK for $85......

Buttstock, pistol grip, flash hider/compensator will come later...I'm thinking I will go with the Battle Comp...Haven't decided yet. Trigger, I'm still up in the air with it....I looked over the JP EZ trigger,...I don't have a broad range of knowledge when it comes to triggers.,..I know who the major players are, but no hands on experience with them or anything involving the .308 DPMS/Armalite platform.

Anything I'm leaving out and would you change Anything out on the parts list? I have a feeling this build is going to nickel and dime me to death. Oh well, I might as well be a grizzly if I'm going to do it.

If you are going with JP, another option for springs/buffer would be the JP Silent Captured Spring (JPSCS-10).  I have that one on my build. 

I also have the JP adjustable gas block.  It functioned well once I adjusted the right amount of gas.  This only takes a few shots.  The only knock is that the adjustment was on the side which was covered by my Troy handguards.  Not that big of a deal as I just drilled a hole in the handguard to allow the allen key to adjust the block.  I'm not sure if the MKM set would have that issue.  I've seen people recommend Syrac which is adjustable from the front.

I couldn't wait for JP to provide me with a bolt carrier.  I had one on order since January and finally decided to cancel it.  It was available on Brownells recently though but I already picked up one from GB.

If you like the concept of a BAD lever, the Magpul one will not fit.  I opted for the Phase 5 Tactical one.

I'm a big fan of the Geissele triggers.  I have the SSA-E one on my Maten.  This is a 2 stage trigger vs the JP which is a single stage trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a JP trigger in the first AR15 I built, but have since gone to the Giessele triggers (SSA-E & Hi Speed National match). So I have 3 AR builds under my belt and 2 MATEN MKM builds working. PARTS are the are the problem, not the part itself, it's the waiting for the parts that is getting old.  

The parts list you list you have so far is heading in the right direction, Battle Arms safety is the way to go. I did have others but switched over all the rifles to battle Arms. The 3 AR15s that were completed and have the ones for the MATEN builds. I think I was able to score an Armalite AR10 BCG last night, the order does not say back ordered but I also don't have it in hand yet. So the barrel will need to be the AR10 platform. DPMS or Armalite both are fine to use.

I don't post as much, I read a lot here. I find the members are VERY good at helping each other.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright guys, I just ordered my barrel kit from JP Rifles, take a look at the specs and let me know if there is anything you would change, add, etc. They are charging my card Friday, so I have a few days to change things up if needed.

-Barrel: 20" .308 JP Supermatch™ cryogenically treated stainless steel barrel

20" length ● 1:10 twist ● medium contour

-Barrel/Comp Finish: Black Teflon

-JP Standard-Profile Compensator 1" x 2.25" .350 exit

-Comp Attachment method: Blended attachment

The muzzle treatment is attached to the barrel via thread, timed and blended for seamless transition. No welding or pinning is used.

-Gas System: JPGS-8. JP Adjustable Gas System Low profile .936" bore Black Aluminum

Head-spaced Bolt: JPEB-308 EnhancedBolt™ assembly, .308 Win.

-JP AR-10 Silent Captured Spring

This will get me close to having all the components for the MKM build. I still need to decide on buttstock and trigger. I will pick up a LPK also.....Anything else I'm missing besides the Mega Arm MKM set? I don't want the MKM to arrive and I have one of those "oh poop, I forgot this part", moments....

Happy Shooting

Looks good. 

Geissele trigger.  If you're hesitant, just get the SSA-E, which is a non-adjustable trigger on the user level.  If you like it, and want to upgrade down the road, then you could spend the money on one of the Hi-Speed models (adjustable by the user).

Looks like you've got receivers covered, a barrel, bolt, and gas system.  What are you planning for the rest of the rifle?  Stock, grip, back up sights (if any), primary optic, etc?...

I still need to decide on buttstock and trigger. I will pick up a LPK also.....Anything else I'm missing besides the Mega Arm MKM set?

Definitely try various Geissele triggers out before you buy if you can. I like the SD-E of the ones I've used (SSA, SSA-E, SD-E).

You're also going to need to try different stocks out. I had an EMOD on my Mk216, but found that my head sat a little to low in my scope with it. I tried Robo's ACS though and that was perfect for me (and as such bought shibiwan's).

You'll also want to get a mil-spec carbine receiver extension (7075 aluminum, lots of "mil-spec" tubes are only mil-spec diameter and made of weaker 6061 aluminum), an end plate (probably one with a QD such as the B5 systems, IWC, or Noveske), and castle nut.

I think I will spend the money and get a Geissele trigger. Seems like they are the way to go....

On Srocks.....I really like the looks of the Magpul UBR......I have never used one. I've used the PRS, EMOD, and the Ergo F93... The PRS was on a .338 Lapua. I had no problems with any of them....

I really like the Ergo Tactial Deluxe pistol grip, but I haven't looked at any pistol grips that are new to the market.

Optic, still undecided. Probably a Vortex Viper or Razor, Nightforce, Bushnell, etc. i will go with quality glass. I love Troys iron sights, but they have made some stupid business decisions here lately and I don't think I can stomach my money going to them.

On Srocks.....I really like the looks of the Magpul UBR......I have never used one. I've used the PRS, EMOD, and the Ergo F93... The PRS was on a .338 Lapua. I had no problems with any of them...

You like heavy stocks!

I love Troys iron sights, but they have made some stupid business decisions here lately and I don't think I can stomach my money going to them

With glass up top why not get KAC 45deg flip up irons?

If you can find them in stock, I'd be buying them in a heartbeat. They are like trying to find a unicorn!

http://www.rogtac.com/optics-sights/back-up-iron-sights/kac-offset-buis-300m.html

There you go. Use "SAVE10" to get 10% off (good till labor day). Free shipping on all orders. I get stuff from this shop all the time.