• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 Barrel/Gas System Lengths

Gray05

I am in the process of gathering parts for a AR308 based on a SI Defense matched receiver set. I want this gun to be a hog/predator hunting gun. Hog hunting requires hopping on and off the four wheeler and shooting free hand. Predator hunting could very well involve me shooting longer distances from a rest position.

Obviously I need the barrel length to be conducive to mobility. Typically everybody goes for a 16" barrel for a light carbine. After reading, I want to avoid a 16" because it seems to be commonly agreed that carbine length gas systems cause greater recoil. So, I am looking to go with an 18" or 20" barrel with either a mid-length or rifle length gas system. I guess I am looking for guidance and advice from anybody that has experience with .308 setups similar to this. Is 20" heavy or long for moving around and free hand shooting? Is there any real performance difference between mid and rifle length gas systems? Am I nuts for being concerned about the carbine length gas system?

In addition, I have hard time accepting the idea of shooting a .308 round out of a 16" barrel. It just seems crazy. That must be deafening and quite a fire ball.

First off, welcome to the forum.

I have a 14.5" barrel and a 20" barrel, and they are both loud! (muzzle brakes) I would not worry about getting a 16" barrel, it will suit your purposes more than fine out to 600yds plus with the right ammo and scope. After that it may not be the best length for making a good kill shot, and I would step out to an 18".

As for recoil, you can get a heavy buffer from HeavyBuffers.com, they are a no compromise buffer that significantly reduce recoil…. I run them in all my .308 and 5.56 rifles

Thank you. From my reading, this seems to be a very helpful, friendly, and polite forum. A rare gem on the friendly and polite front. I look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks for the encouragement on the 16" option and the buffer tip. I do want to keep this rifle relatively light and manageable.

The .308 does have a shit ton of gas. The carbine gas allows a lot of gas to move through the action. This causes the action to move faster and with a lot more force than is needed.

I'll bet a 16" medium or heavy barrel will do as good, if not better, than a 20" barrel with similar contour.

You don't need to get a long barrel to have a rifle length gas system. Several guys here have 16" rifle length barrels. My barrel is 17" with a rifle length gas system. It works flawlessly.

YES! That is what has been annoying. I can't find 17" barrels anywhere. I can't find 16" or 17" with mid or rifle length gas systems. Who makes these barrels? I have looked at Krieger, Nemo, DPMS, Rainier, Black Hole, etc. I don't see these kind of options available through any of them.

My barrel is a custom Saturn barrel, done by Proof Research.

If you can find someone that does Saturn or Rock barrel blanks, you can generally choose all your specs. They usually run $400-$600, and often come with a matched bolt. I think YM barrels can be ordered to spec as well.

If you want accuracy AND portability, check out Proof Research's carbon fiber wrapped barrels. You'll get bull barrel performance with medium barrel weight. You'll spend a few more dollars... But it'll only be once!

Welcome to the forum Gray. I'll go along with Edge on this one. I've got some 16" 308's (Armalite  mid-length), and I also run the heavybuffers.com buffers. I also run muzzle brakes on mine also (oh yeah....they definitely pump up the volume). Between those 2 easy mods, they really smooth out the recoil. If you need more after that, you can always swap out the gas block for an adjustable type. But you usually only need to do that if you're gonna be running suppressed.

I'd start with the heavy buffer first. That's a quick swap and worth every penny. And also like edge said, I run them on all of mine. You'll be amazed with the difference that'll make.

Ron

You guys are seriously slipping...  :cookoo:

OP, Fulton Armory makes a stainless 16" rifle gas .308 barrel, medium contour, 1:10 twist.  Criterion makes it for them.

It'll handle the heavy bullets just fine, is mobile (16" barrel), offers less recoil than other 16" 308 barrels (rifle gas), and can still rock targets at 600 yards easily. 

I'll check next time I see the website open again.  <thumbsup>

I'd try to call, but I'd feel like a dick not buying anything, and just pimping information.  I do need a National Match A2 flash suppressor, so I might risk the call.