• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z5V's Springfield Armory XD45

98Z5V

98Z5V How can you abandon your Kimber? are you going to the dark side? Mine is a tac 11 custom and looks worn out but it will never be replaced..... :)

I had been intrigued by the XD pistols and their reputation, not long after they were first marketed by SA, but didn't want to take the plunge without speaking to someone in person that had one.

A customer came into the store wearing one, which was all scratched up and beat to hell.  After inquring, he said he'd been out rock climbing and gone up a 200' incline (too steep to walk, so they used rope to ascend).  He got to the top, removed his harness and the belt snagged the XD which pulled out of the crap holster he had, then skittered, fell, and tumbled down the 200' they had just climbed.  Went down, picked it up, BLAMBLAMBLAM!!  Reholstered, reclimbed, went on their way.

My Kimber never would've done that.

Jon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Kimber never would've done that.

Jon

poop, all my Kimber's will do that.  They're made out of Kryptonite and Unobtanium, assembled by wizards practicing Black Magic and sorcery.  :o  They're badass, and I'll never give them up.  <thumbsup>

I just wanted a gun I can kick the poop out of, and not worry about how it looks, or how it would affect value.  ;D

In Casa Grande yesterday with the ANG folks, one of them scooted the XD9 across the concrete bench and everyone else tensed up and looked at me.

Scooted it back and forth and kept talking like nothing happened.  :D

That same XD9 I'd take in a class and rub a key ring on it so hard that there would be brass stripes on the slide.  Invariably students would later ask "What's that pistol you were grinding the key ring on?"

Jon

How much of the trigger take-up does the Springer-kit eliminate?  Overtravel?

Why not try the XDM for the next one?  >:D

Jon

I never answered you, brother...

You must fit this trigger bar, so you have alot of options here.  Trigger takeup - that's the first thing they have you fit, but after going through the process now, I'd leave it alone, and do it last.  I will on the next one.  Once you file it away, it's gone forever.

Overtravel - with the new sear, it fires with the trigger almost all the way back in the trigger guard - in it's design, there's very little overtravel, and a very short reset.  Fit the firing of it first (what they have you do second), then worry about the takeup.  If you get it to fire, and it won't reset, then you'll need to mod the takeup in order to get the trigger to slack forward more.  If it reset, without making a takeup mod, then you'll have a very, very short-throw trigger.  <thumbsup>

I worked a little bit of takeup slack into it very first.  It's good, as is.  I worked the firing second.  Now that I've done it, I could fit one almost perfect right off the bat, without making small adjustments and trying it out, over and over.  I've seen it work, know what it does, and it would be easy the next time.

As far as the XDm - I'll pick up another XD.  I don't think I'd like the extra parts in the XDm, that really serve no purpose.  If I picked up the XDm, I'd convert the thing over to XD functioning right away. 

With this setup, this trigger is almost a 2-stage trigger now.  It's pretty damn awesome.  ;D

Your's shot pretty damn great, brother.  I can't remember enough, now, to compare...  But a comparo is coming!  <lmao> <laughs> <thumbsup>

PRP didn't offer anything for the model with the thumb safety, so SP was really my only choice.  And I like it.  ;D

• 1 month later...

My first pistol was an XD 45 5in tactical I absolutely love this gun. I've put a lot of rounds throug it and never a hiccup. I've killed everything from rabbits to deer with it. I carried it on me and in the pickup for the last 5 years and shows not much wear. Great piece of iron!!! Want to get a sub-compact one of these days

I have handled one, whilst visiting Jon - bad idea.  I wanted to do the paperwork right then.  It was the standard magazine, and I really want to handle one with the 7rd extended magazine first, before I let it suck the money out of my wallet...  <laughs>

It is a very nice piece. 

P.S.  Your refined degree of gun-pushing instigator qualities have not gone unnoticed...  <lmao>

I have handled one, whilst visiting Jon - bad idea. I wanted to do the paperwork right then. It was the standard magazine, and I really want to handle one with the 7rd extended magazine first, before I let it suck the money out of my wallet... <laughs>

It is a very nice piece.

P.S. Your refined degree of gun-pushing instigator qualities have not gone unnoticed... <lmao>

Me enable the enabler in chief ? :))

I handled one and I want one, but I have other projects to finish first.

Edited by Matt.Cross

• 5 weeks later...

I've had my service XD45 for about 5 years now. First thing I did was send it to Springer for a trigger job, clean up and polish. Put some TFOs on it and called it good. I SOOO love that gun. Fits like a glove. I recently broke it all the way down and cleaned it all up. It has held up great.

I might not have mentioned... but I really love that gun.

Oh ya, and I just put on a Springer extended slide lock. Plenty of "grip" and further forward which helps out this lefty. I do not think I would benefit from a match barrel at this point, but more practice and a few hundred more rounds down the barrel and I will be replacing it.