• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z5V's Springfield Armory XD45

98Z5V

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn, I HATE this pistol.

These things are worse than AR15s.  :o

I picked up a Springfield Armory XD45 several months ago.  I catch so much poop for being a 1911 guy (a Kimber 1911 guy, only).  The plastic-pistol guys are always giving me hell.  Glock guys, I respect you.  I won't own a Glock, though.  I do not like the trigger.  Nope, not at all.  I have shot the hell out of them, and I don't like them, won't learn to like them, etc. 

I figured the only other plastic pistol I could try out would be the SA XD.  So, I tried one.  It didn't have the Glock-type trigger, and shot okay.  Alright, we're moving forward...  Has a backstrap safety, like a 1911 - BIG plus for me (tricks me into thinking I'm shooting another 1911...).  I liked it alright.

Then I found the one I ended up buying - the SA XD9661HCSP, 4" Service Model, with Thumb Safety.  Holy poop, this is almost a 1911!!!  <laughs>  Ambi mag release, ambi thumb safety.  I like it. 

Before things got stupid - well, a couple months, before, actually - I was shopping for them pretty good.  Found a couple online for decent prices, but called my local gun pusher about it.  If he could get it, I'd have him order it.  Kind of a guilt thing, since I have him transfer so much poop for me (another guilt thing with him was paying full retail for a SureFire 60 mag, at $129 - I kind of owed him that, in a way).  Not only could he get it, he had one in the glass case at the shop.  I left work and bought it, right then.

Now, NOT being a plastic pistol guy, I had NO IDEA how much poop is out there for these things.  No idea.  These things are WORSE than ARs.  I'll have a bunch of stuff on order for this pistol, but right now a Springer Precision trigger kit is in the mail.  I'll give that an update when it comes in.  Future plans - not too distant future, also - include some tritium sights (probably adjustable rear, and probably Dawson), extended mag release, and Cerakote (two different colors of dirt).  It's in a Masters Leather holster right now, but I don't like how it draws from that.  The Mernickle is on order (a couple days ago), so I'll have that one in 3 or 4 weeks - and I already know how it will draw from that.  Nothing but spectacular holsters.  They rock.  <thumbsup>

These things are ridiculous.  I don't really hate it, either, outside of the fact that it's (1) gonna cost me more money, and (2) it won't be my last XD or XDM.  Fcuk. 

This is what 40 rounds of .45ACP looks like.  13rd mag, one in the pipe, 2 spare 13rd mags.  I carry this every day now.

100_0675_zpsc6b2fac0.jpg

100_0676_zpsee0b975c.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I thought I was sick with 4 XD series pistols.  <laughs>

What ever you do, when you can't sleep or when you're just surfing around the internet, do NOT go here:  http://www.pistolgear.com!

I know those Springer Precision are popular with the comp shooters.  I really like that Powder River Precision on my 5.25...did we shoot that New Years?

Something in my head keeps saying "Wifey needs an XDM in 9mm...buy it!  Buuuuyyyyyyy iiiiiiiiiiT!!!!"  >:D

The 4.5 was used when I got it and it is FAR heavier than the 5.25 with the slide relief.  The stock sights are half replaced with Heine Straight-8s with tritium.  It is said they are the hardest sights to replace...truth.  The best success has been reported by using an arbor press to push them out, especially the front.

My daily carry is the 3.8 with the Pierce pinky grip extender.  This one has by far the most through it of the .45s (the 9mm is run constantly by students...and me, not even a clue how much has been shot through it).  It is bone stock and has around 3,000 rounds eaten up.  The most recent loads were some Frankenstein pills, 255gr RNL cowboy poppers.  When they hit steel they hit HARD.  <laughs>  My buddy said he worked up some 300gr .45acp loads and would find the data for me.

I'm sorry bro...you were saying how bad you got it.

Please continue.  <lmao>

Jon

Jon, I had to go with Springer Precision on the trigger kit.  They're the only ones doing a kit for the XD with thumb safefy.  I was checking them out, as well as Powder River, trying to make up my mind.  PRP had nothing for the thumb safety model, so that made my mind up for me. 

The trigger kit and extended mag release will be here Friday, so it'll be in the pistol Friday night, then shot Sunday morning.  I also picked up two Arredondo extended magazine baseplates, but they hit the "backorder" status on me.  They be here in another two weeks.  That will make the two spare 13rd mags into two spare 15rd mags.  <thumbsup>

After this will be a couple internal upgrades, tritium sights, then a blast with some paint.  The sights will go on after paint.  Maybe a barrel.

These things are ridiculous.  :o <laughs>

Ron, here are some of the barrel options:

http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc;jsessionid=8A752CBA64067CDAA15A0186FA6C0669.qscstrfrnt06?categoryId=34

Jon, I had to go with Springer Precision on the trigger kit.  They're the only ones doing a kit for the XD with thumb safefy.  I was checking them out, as well as Powder River, trying to make up my mind.  PRP had nothing for the thumb safety model, so that made my mind up for me. 

The trigger kit and extended mag release will be here Friday, so it'll be in the pistol Friday night, then shot Sunday morning.  I also picked up two Arredondo extended magazine baseplates, but they hit the "backorder" status on me.  They be here in another two weeks.  That will make the two spare 13rd mags into two spare 15rd mags.  <thumbsup>

After this will be a couple internal upgrades, tritium sights, then a blast with some paint.  The sights will go on after paint.  Maybe a barrel.

These things are ridiculous.  :o <laughs>

Ron, here are some of the barrel options:

http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc;jsessionid=8A752CBA64067CDAA15A0186FA6C0669.qscstrfrnt06?categoryId=34

Tom, I can see that this pistol is going to be nothing but financial trouble for you. I'll pay for shipping to send that beast out here so you can have some peace of mind and not have to deal with it anymore. No thanks necessary, it's for the greater good.  <laughs>

Yep. I see that they only offer the threaded model for the XD(M) model. Also showing as backordered. Not bad though....considering that I don't have the pistol......yet.

Hello, my name is Tom and I am an accessory addict. <lmao>

It's in the DNA, brother.  We can't fight that, not even a little.  I have 10 motorcycles/quads, with #11 on the way in a couple weeks.  ONE is bone stock.  ONE!   Damn 1995 Suzuki DR350.  It's the perfect bike, unmodified.  Modding poop is a sickness/affliction/addiction/passion.  We can't help it, those of us that have the disease...  :o :cookoo:  It's just poop that keeps happening, in the grand scheme of things. 

Don't fight it, brother...  <laughs>

Yep. I see that they only offer the threaded model for the XD(M) model. Also showing as backordered. Not bad though....considering that I don't have the pistol......yet.

AHA!!!  I found threaded XD barrels!  :hethan:

http://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=00PG055

Jon...  thanks ALOT for the link to pistolgear.  Really.  :fawkdance:  Like I needed that.

Matt...  I'm thinking more and more about it.  I'm thinking you're right.  You might have a box delivered soon...  <dontknow>  Just sign for it, brother.  :(

Big pluses from Pistol Gear, their stainless rollpin sets.  Brownell's sells those pins too (if you get their discount  <thumbsup> ).

I'm certain, since you did NOT listen to me when I said "Don't go to Pistol Gear," that you won't listen when I say do NOT go to XDTalk.com and peruse the accessories and/or the gunsmithing sections.

DON'T DO IT!!

Jon

Man you guys are brutal.... <laughs>

No kidding, huh?  I have to fight back by trying to afflict someone else...  <thumbsup> <laughs>

The trigger kit and extended safety show up tomorrow.  Tomorrow night will be fun.  I might have to head out into the desert Saturday morning before work, instead of waiting until Sunday.  That way, I'll know if I have to send this thing to Matt, sooner rather than later.

I'm already watching a 5" XD45 Tactical.  You know, in case this thing actually works out.  I have a two-tone paint scheme for it already layed out.  Cerakote Patriot Brown, plus some Cerakote Magpul FDE.  I'll try to dig up a pic.  Trying to decide on how to flip the colors - light on top, dark on bottom, or the other way.  Like this, below... 

post-71-136297289048_thumb.jpg

So, basically, unanimously, you guys are saying dark frame, light slide. 

Got it.  Brownell's doesn't stock either of these two colors in Airdry, so I'll have to order right from Cerakote.  I might end up using alot of this Patriot Brown, so I'm getting a bigger container of it, and a 4oz bottle of the FDE. 

The Sniper Grey was a 4oz bottle, still have 1.5oz of it left, and that's after painting a stripped 5.56 upper and lower, carbine receiver extension, 13" rail, and a flashlight.  A little goes a long way with this stuff, just because it goes on so damn thin.  It's badass.  <thumbsup>