• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LAR8 EO What BUIS ?

GS455

Will be looking for a low profile rear flip sight.

1) Rock River seems to recommend and sell the ARMS #40L. ($100+)

2) Troy Rear Folding BattleSight has been reccomended. ($100+)

3) I've seen other-forum folks recommend the Magpul MBUS (Magpul Back-Up Sight) GEN 2 (Around $50)

4) MaTech (only for .556?)

5) Midwest Industries ?

I know ARMS is milspec. Don't know about Troy. I don't mind spending a buck. Just want the best within reason.

Pros / Cons of either ?Other suggestions ?

I use Magpul BUS Gen 2 rear on 14.7 5.56 magnifier to EoTech goes right over it.I use that type rear sight on all my rifles. ;D There are others,but for the money it works for me.The other 2 rifles have scopes that fit over MBUS Gen 2's.

I second the MBUS. I loved them until I put on my scope (didn't want to loose zero). so I installed 45deg off set sights. When my 16" upper comes in I will be putting them on that. Light weight and easy to use.

I am admittedly clueless about ballistics and geometry but don't the Magpul MBUS and the MaTech have their clicks calibrated for .223/556 ?

Don't know.

Shoot it with the sights you get and find where it hits.

I never had (easily) adjustable sights on anything until I was in my early-20s.  Shooting lots helped me dial in loads with Kentucky windage.

I need to shoot that much again.

Jon

I am admittedly clueless about ballistics and geometry but don't the Magpul MBUS and the MaTech have their clicks calibrated for .223/556 ?

7.62 or 5.56 iron sights work the same. Try this out with your iron sights you will see. http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/artweaker/sighting%20in/M16A2_Zeroing_25M.jpg

This works to sight it in at 25yds for 100yds. The ballistics of the 5.56 vs 7.62 does not work on calculations at the bottom of the page for beyond that.

If you are using a scope and quality ammo this is the best info I have found out there.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=79382.0

There are no range clicks on those sights, so they'll work on anything that you can match a front sight up to.

Most rear back up sights only adjust for windage, and nothing more.

Matech, KAC, and very few others even offer major elevation changes.

There are no range clicks on those sights, so they'll work on anything that you can match a front sight up to.

Most rear back up sights only adjust for windage, and nothing more.

Matech, KAC, and very few others even offer major elevation changes.

Huh.  So does that mean you zero your elevation for 50 yds (same at 200 ?) and then just learn your vertical holds

Okay, so, 500/200 is for 5.56.  Then what about .308?

BTW I am looking at a Magpul MBUS I got for a guy in trade of something else.  It's all plastic and the aperture seems moderately loose and wobbly.  At first I thought I got the wrong thing like this was for Airsoft or something.  Shouldn't the aperture be pretty snug and tight or is this normal?