• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Please help with my new build

jrtmasp

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already passed on all colors except the black, my only choice. All black on this which is why this is so difficult to finish. No one has it. I, of course, am not helping because I won't overpay...I already did that on the receiver set. I was pleasantly surprised by the gunsmith I used today. He's not listed but is talented and only charged me 35 for pinning the brake. He also does cerakote finishing and does precision work on long range rifles....my new best friend.

J, we may need to get together and visit this gentleman….. I hear the doors opening..
I just stumbled onto him, "Mike," through a local overpriced dumpy gun store that uses him for stuff they can't handle. He only goes by word-of-mouth and is a very pleasant guy to talk and deal with. He's a certified cerakote tech or whatever they call themselves. He doesn't do any crazy Red Creek Tactical design stuff but will do any solid and create colors to your liking. I was impressed.

Mike also mentioned that he specializes in Remington 700s. He used a bunch of terms that were over my head but he sounded like he could make a bolt action shoot the wings off a fly at whatever distance. We'll talk, Edge. If you need work and are willing to ship or whatever I can PM you his info when you have the extra $$$ to play with. I can get you a discount too.

Edited by jrtmasp

I just stumbled onto him, "Mike," through a local overpriced dumpy gun store that uses him for stuff they can't handle. He only goes by word-of-mouth and is a very pleasant guy to talk and deal with. He's a certified cerakote tech or whatever they call themselves. He doesn't do any crazy Red Creek Tactical design stuff but will do any solid and create colors to your liking. I was impressed.

Mike also mentioned that he specializes in Remington 700s. He used a bunch of terms that were over my head but he sounded like he could make a bolt action shoot the wings off a fly at whatever distance. We'll talk, Edge. If you need work and are willing to ship or whatever I can PM you his info when you have the extra $$$ to play with. I can get you a discount too.

roger wilco!

• 4 weeks later...

Well....

Finally finished and ready to fire. Range report to follow.

New pics of it complete (for now). I'm definately happy with how it has came out.

...I had to get a pic of it unloaded but with a 10 rounder so some of you can see how our "balls" are cut off here in MA.

post-13504-0-91443300-1366196959_thumb.j

post-13504-0-94776600-1366197089_thumb.j

Edited by jrtmasp

Said 1 in stock.....http://www.mwgco.com/ar-15_accessories/product/MAG-308-BLK.html

Did you check with LaRue? I don't think that they show out of stock until after you buy, you'd need to call them. http://www.laruetactical.com/magpul-prs-stock-obrar-10sr25

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for that stock for a long time and many don't let you know it's out until you submit for the order. I never tried LaRue though.

I'll try the ACE for a bit. The good part is I like the stock and if I feel it's not a good fit for this AR than I'll probably use it on my ultra light AR-15 build next year. I like the look a lot better than I thought I would. It was a little bit of a pain in the ass to install but it's worth the investment and was very reasonably priced.

Initial Range Report:

I'd like to get some member advice on how things went. First off, I'm very happy with the rifle and how accurate it was with its mechanical zero. I chose not to zero the rifle. I fired about 50 rounds with it and cleaned every 5 or more rounds. I was surprised at how much lube it took. The interior maintained a decent amount of lubrication on the upper receiver but my one and only misfire seemed to come when the last round in a mag didn't properly feed. It looked like the bolt needed more lubrication but I don't know how much more I could have added without going overboard. That was the only feeding setback.

I used 3 different types of ammo which happened to be the only types I could get my hands on and they are as follows:

Winchester 308 WIN. 150 Grain Power-Point

Federal Fusion MSR 308 WIN. 150 Grain

Hornady 308 WIN. 150 Grain SST Interlock

All my experience with ARs is with M16s and M4s and this was a fun and a new experience. The recoil was minimal which I think was due to the brake and high-end buffer and spring I went with. The Winchester ammo struck me as cheap and the Hornady fired very different. It was more accurate and the rifle just fired it in a way I can only describe as more smoothly for a failure of a better word. I can't wait to get a scope on this rifle.

Due to the fact that I didn't zero it, I decided to just have fun and shot all groups at a distance of approximately 70-80 yards. Below are the pics. I think the groups were good considering I wasn't wearing my (reading) glasses and it was with Troy iron sights.

A few things that troubled me were the small dents on the brass. I know other members have had this issue in the past. Also, the brass seemed to eject with such force that the deflector's coating is getting worn prematurely. Do you guys feel that this can be easily resolved with an adjustable gas block? Everything else is top notch so I'd be disappointed if it's anything but that. The FA barrel currently has a non adjustable PRI gas block. Note the pic of the dented brass. This is the same location and size that all the brass had their damage.

post-13504-0-85619700-1366581113_thumb.j

post-13504-0-05540300-1366581142_thumb.j

post-13504-0-66503700-1366582093_thumb.j

Edited by jrtmasp

Initial Range Report:

I'd like to get some member advice on how things went. First off, I'm very happy with the rifle and how accurate it was with its mechanical zero. I chose not to zero the rifle. I fired about 50 rounds with it and cleaned every 5 or more rounds. I was surprised at how much lube it took. The interior maintained a decent amount of lubrication on the upper receiver but my one and only misfire seemed to come when the last round in a mag didn't properly feed. It looked like the bolt needed more lubrication but I don't know how much more I could have added without going overboard. That was the only feeding setback.

I used 3 different types of ammo which happened to be the only types I could get my hands on and they are as follows:

Winchester 308 WIN. 150 Grain Power-Point

Federal Fusion MSR 308 WIN. 150 Grain

Hornady 308 WIN. 150 Grain SST Interlock

All my experience with ARs is with M16s and M4s and this was a fun and a new experience. The recoil was minimal which I think was due to the brake and high-end buffer and spring I went with. The Winchester ammo struck me as cheap and the Hornady fired very different. It was more accurate and the rifle just fired it in a way I can only describe as more smoothly for a failure of a better word. I can't wait to get a scope on this rifle.

Due to the fact that I didn't zero it, I decided to just have fun and shot all groups at a distance of approximately 70-80 yards. Below are the pics. I think the groups were good considering I wasn't wearing my (reading) glasses and it was with Troy iron sights.

A few things that troubled me were the small dents on the brass. I know other members have had this issue in the past. Also, the brass seemed to eject with such force that the deflector's coating is getting worn prematurely. Do you guys feel that this can be easily resolved with an adjustable gas block? Everything else is top notch so I'd be disappointed if it's anything but that. The FA barrel currently has a non adjustable PRI gas block. Note the pic of the dented brass. This is the same location and size that all the brass had their damage.

Yes, an adjustable block would help with the brass, but I bet it is still ok, and will be reloadable.

The deflector will wear…. this is .308 and the brass is coming out at 3x the force of 5.56… not a big deal.

My personal experience with Winchester ammo is cheap.. cost and reliability, accuracy…. Federal has been my favorite factory ammo, then Black Hills, and Hornaday.

Once you start shooting for accuracy, start using heavier bullets, it'll be more accurate with the 1-10 barrel. I may have Federal GMM I can help you with once you come out here…..

Edited by edgecrusher

It looked like the bolt needed more lubrication but I don't know how much more I could have added without going overboard.

Glad to hear that it ran well with the bolt carrier group.  I recall reading on the Harris Tactical site that because it is Nickel Boron, you should use something like FireClean on it.  I purchased a bottle out of curiosity in the past and just put a few drops on the BCG.  I've yet to shoot my build yet but it still looks wet after sitting in the safe for a few weeks.

Glad to hear that it ran well with the bolt carrier group.  I recall reading on the Harris Tactical site that because it is Nickel Boron, you should use something like FireClean on it.  I purchased a bottle out of curiosity in the past and just put a few drops on the BCG.  I've yet to shoot my build yet but it still looks wet after sitting in the safe for a few weeks.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I want to run a few different lubricants through it as well. I did keep my word though and will not fire 7.62 until I have quite a few more rounds through it. I also noticed that the 1 inch pad for the ACE stock was an overkill. I know I'll use it on another build so I'm not worried about it going to waste. I figured having long arms (being 6'4) would mean that it would be a good fit for what I felt I needed. It looks sharp but I'll be going back to the stock one.

Nice, Atlas?

Yes, it's a ACCU-SHOT ATLAS Bipod with ADM 170-S Lever. It's way more money than I should have spent on a bipod but I couldn't help myself. I didn't want to keep buying cheap one after cheap one. It was backordered for over a month, but that's not a long wait anyways.

You can definately tell a big difference from the quality over a more basic one. This will probably go with me whenever I shoot now. I just want to get a difference leg base attachment set for it that can take more of a beating than the stock rubber ones will likely endure.

Range session? Did I hear range session? Md ain't that far from Mass. My arm could probably be twisted into taking a road trip. Couldn't bring the SBR's or suppressor's. But the SASS and carbine's could always come along for the ride.

Edited by Rsquared

Range session? Did I hear range session? Md ain't that far from Mass. My arm could probably be twisted into taking a road trip. Couldn't bring the SBR's or suppressor's. But the SASS and carbine's could always come along for the ride.

Sbr's are ok here to own, so they may be ok to bring. Arm twisting in progress! Also, we haven't set a date other than May.