• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Please help with my new build

jrtmasp

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a photo below of the Fulton barrel that I plan on buying tomorrow...

can you do me an enormous favor? when you order that, also order one of these for me

http://www.fulton-armory.com/ejectionportcoverpintitantacticala4upper.aspx

and send it to me by regular mail? Its the only thing I need from them, and I hate to pay their flat rate $10 shipping for a $3 item. At moments, I wish I wouldn't have bought a stripped upper

can you do me an enormous favor? when you order that, also order one of these for me

http://www.fulton-armory.com/ejectionportcoverpintitantacticala4upper.aspx

and send it to me by regular mail? Its the only thing I need from them, and I hate to pay their flat rate $10 shipping for a $3 item. At moments, I wish I wouldn't have bought a stripped upper

so sorry brother... Already did it prior to your post. The S&H on small parts is a pain. Just did it last week for a 3 dollar trigger pin on a Mossberg 500a. Dumb move by disassembling it and leaving it on a table for months...the pin fairy took it.

I think the Mega Maten set thats in route has the handle and cover included....hopefully it does when it arrives. I really don't want to have to buy those.

I do find it comical that those 308 extractor cover pins are almost as hard to find as magazines right now. well, not exactly comical. I guess I can wait and hopefully find something else I want from them (maybe muzzle brake), not like i'll have the lower in for at least another month anyhow

I think the Mega Maten set thats in route has the handle and cover included....hopefully it does when it arrives. I really don't want to have to buy those.

I believe you are good with that,but everybody has their favorite c.handle…. I like the PRI Gasbuster, and since you are ordering from there anyways... <laughs> 

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1037

and to make it easier for you

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1550

How about that, all your parts in stock! I'll help you spend all the money you need, plus maybe some for me?  <munch> <laughs> And don't forget that muzzle brake, also in stock!

Ok now you're feeding the addiction. Money is starting to go quickly now. Holding off on the Troy TRX because apparently they have two DPMS versions. I will have to measure my upper when it gets here to avoid a return.

<lmao> <laughs> Just another Masshole, sir!

I believe the Mega uses the lower rail height, but send Troy a call, or if you need help getting through I might be able to get through to my friend on the inside to ask. Lots of guys here have used the Mega set so maybe they'll chime in for you.

I appreciate the offer but waiting another day or two for the mega is not a big deal. I'd be able to get the Troy anyways because of it being a MA company and having connections if a worst case sold out situation happens.

There are definately better looking charging handles than the stock one but that's another 80+ dollars that could be spent buying a necessary component.

Next question...where can I get a good BCG or be on a short wait. Now that I've moved away from the JP lomass stuff, I shouldn't have to spend as much. i still want quality though

Battle arms (site sponsor) has them.

ah yeah, they do now, thanks. at first they only had it up as a combo choice with the ambi safety. an ambi safety isn't an all bad idea as all 3 of my kids are lefties, but I'm trying to conserve now that i'm at the tail end budget wise :)

I hadn't seen the Raptor or those levers before...very nice.

My son (only 5) is a lefty. This build with the Maten Mega is not their stock ambi design so I'm out on any ambi stuff. Any future AR builds will all be ambi for my son down the road. I plan on building 1 or 2 AR-15's. 1 is never enough afterall.

Well it looks like certain sites are starting to get some smaller components in (ie...Fulton Armory and DSG Arms). I was finally able to piece together the elusive bolt catch assembly.  98Z5V, you did warn me but I must concede that most of it is my fault for wanting a higher quality selection of parts. Damn that Geiselle Trigger, among just a few. Although, the Fulton Armory barrel saved me a lot and I feel that it will be a good fit for what I actually need. The BCG is still a bit of a question mark. I am not too excited about the potential of having to get a JP BCG. It just seems overpriced to me. Still looking for alternatives that will still be quality products.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks. So far so good.

Here's a question...

I just got a nickel boron coated BCG from a co. They supposedly used to make them for KAC. Anyways, it seems to be a good quality product but I'm trying to check headspacing. There are no vids that I have seen that take the entire bolt apart. I have familiarity with taking the extractor out...obviously not hard to do. However, going the next step infuriated me last night and I had to give up so I didn't break something.

The problem is getting the ejector out for proper headspace gauge checks. I followed 8541 Tactical MA Ten build series vid on headspacing but it didn't work. I used a handgun casing and clamp to push the ejector down and then used a 1/4 punch (think that's the one) to try and push the ejector pin out. That little SOB won't come out. In fact I couldn't even see it...wtf? I looked through the light and nothing there. I can see right through as if nothing is there. I still have tension when I took the clamp off so I couldn't have lost it. Bolt ejector still works. What am I doing wrong???

Edited by jrtmasp

Rifle is looking great man, as far as the head spacing, I don't have enough experience here, but many here do and can help. 
Thanks, Edge. I am long past having an addiction. I just bought an Atlas bipod. I had to follow suit with "only the best." At least it can be used on all rifles that I will be buying and building many years too come.

Thanks, Edge. I am long past having an addiction. I just bought an Atlas bipod. I had to follow suit with "only the best." At least it can be used on all rifles that I will be buying and building many years too come.

True that! 

We have to get together when that bad boy is finished.

Well...the good news is that I was finally able to complete the headspacing check. This came after at least a dozen failed attempts at completely stripping the bolt down. The problem came with trying to get the bolt roll pin out. That little bastard just would not come out. I learned that I simply wasn't putting enough pressure on it with the pin punch tool because I didn't want to brake the bolt components or the tool. ...the bad news is that my extra elbow grease was an overkill and while I rotated my hand, I pushed the pin completely into the palm of my right hand. Ya...it didn't feel good. I did manage to pick it out and finish and the rifle passed with flying colors. Of course, this was most likely going to be the case anyways but at least I have the peace of mind. Hopefully my hand doesn't get infected now.

The Troy sights have finally arrived and I'm very impressed with the quality, just like the TRX rail. The tritium sights are most likely an unnecessary option but it wasn't that much more so why not. I will be taking my "baby" to the gunsmith tomorrow to pin the brake...thanks Massachusetts, you're the best (vomit).