• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Please help with my new build

jrtmasp

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if they're ok to own...I don't have the ATF interstate "blessing" to move them out of Md. .

I was gonna say that - NFA items across state lines requires prior approval.  Which could take awhile. If you can get it, at all.

Exactly. I mean, friends of mine have had the interstate approval (in the past) to take thier stuff to Knob Creek. That's the big macine gun shoot for anybody who doesn't know. But in these times, I would only assume that the ATF paper trail is slowing down. I'm about to start month 7 for my form 1's that I filed for my 2 SBR builds.

Exactly. I mean, friends of mine have had the interstate approval (in the past) to take thier stuff to Knob Creek. That's the big macine gun shoot for anybody who doesn't know. But in these times, I would only assume that the ATF paper trail is slowing down. I'm about to start month 7 for my form 1's that I filed for my 2 SBR builds.

7 months? Hopefully you'll get it soon. I only know one person, personally, here in MA that has bothered to go through the process. Most friends that I know that regularly shoot don't want to deal with the additional hassle. I'd still like to do it on a 300 blk build.

I let another mega set slip through my hands from joeboboutfitters. These notification emails are still a cruel temptation.

Edited by jrtmasp

7 months? Hopefully you'll get it soon. I only know one person, personally, here in MA that has bothered to go through the process. Most friends that I know that regularly shoot don't want to deal with the additional hassle. I'd still like to do it on a 300 blk build.

I let another mega set slip through my hands from joeboboutfitters. These notification emails are still a cruel temptation.

I plan on doing one, on the 2Vets lower I have.

Is that a Seekins? Almost looks like theirs, but a bit more extreme. This is the one I have sitting in the safe. 

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/files/2012/10/2-Vets-Arms-Co-Spartan-AR-15-Lower.jpg

Someday soon. Was thinking it could be my gift to myself for graduating academy… fill out the tax stamp stuff and send it in and order up all the goodies!

Is that a Seekins? Almost looks like theirs, but a bit more extreme. This is the one I have sitting in the safe.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/files/2012/10/2-Vets-Arms-Co-Spartan-AR-15-Lower.jpg

Someday soon. Was thinking it could be my gift to myself for graduating academy… fill out the tax stamp stuff and send it in and order up all the goodies!

I like the engraving on it in the pic. I found a company that does nice work on receivers where there's room to do it if you don't already have something like that.

That lower does look like a rabid Seekins on steroids. I think it's by Tactical Innovations but I didn't see it on their website. On GB they want 350 for it stripped. The Seekins that I told you about is no more than $270 and it is not completely stripped. That 350 is way overpriced just because it looks different. No way I'd pay that.

Edited by jrtmasp

Rainier posted on FB that they are getting Seekins stripped in stock, should show up on their site soon….. :drool:  <munch>  :laughing4:   You are on the clock…… sorry draft is on!

Ok. Why do I feel like I'm going to have to join a 12 step program over the next few years? I'm sure before long I'll have so many lowers I'll need a seperate safe for them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which adjustable gas block I should go with?

I have the PRI now that I want to replace and see if there will be much of a difference going to an adjustable.

It seems that people really like the Syrac http://www.syracordnance.com/collections/all

And I really think PRI http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186780&CAT=4274

would do fine as well. 

Hi Jay, my name is Greg, and I too have a problem….. <lmao>  <laughs>

Don't we all?

Apparently the answer to that is yes. I will be capping myself at 4 though. The MAG TACT., Seekins (the standard and SP223), and a Double Diamond LE AR carbine lower. See, at least I have an organized compulsion...lol. 2 out of 4 have already been "captured."

Apparently the answer to that is yes. I will be capping myself at 4 though. The MAG TACT., Seekins (the standard and SP223), and a Double Diamond LE AR carbine lower. See, at least I have an organized compulsion...lol. 2 out of 4 have already been "captured."

I've been eyeballing the DDLES lock frame Glock ar15 lower, to use with my G21's. 

• 1 month later...

Sir that's a fine looking boom stick! <thumbsup> I just scanned over this entire thread and found no mention of optics <dontknow> Surely a precision weapon of this magnitude deserves an optic that will enable it's full potential? The old rule of thumb says that you should spend at least as much on the optic as you did on the rifle. >:D

Sir that's a fine looking boom stick! <thumbsup> I just scanned over this entire thread and found no mention of optics <dontknow> Surely a precision weapon of this magnitude deserves an optic that will enable it's full potential? The old rule of thumb says that you should spend at least as much on the optic as you did on the rifle. >:D

One step at a time brother, lol. I rushed the build and completed it way too early. This, in turn, prevents me from coughing up enough for glass this year. Getting behind this beast without a quality scope is very limiting but it is what it is at this point. I'm over 3K into it so a matching price point on a scope will definately not be in the cards (nice try).

At this point I'm just researching and will invest in a scope next year, probably in May. I want a tactical scope probably with a x14 to x20 range zoom. This is only an approximate. I picture a black cerakoting finish on the barrel, larue scope mount/rings, replacing irons with a 45 degree offset red dot and whatever scope is decided upon. I could also potentially add a Cascadia PRS stock sling attachment merely to complete the look and give the option to add a quick release sling, if I ever do add one.

Edited by jrtmasp

NIce looking unit there my man. It's nice when they finally come together isn't it?

Thanks and yes it is nice to see the (almost) complete product. I look forward to finishing it next spring and seeing how accurate it really is. I have a feeling the money I sunk into it has paid off in overall quality. There's not much recoil, the trigger is great, and accuracy with irons seems to be top notch. Also, the little money that I've lost from too many separate S&H charges and minor mistakes don't add up to money that I've saved on good recommendations from forum members. This is especially true with the FA SS barrel. I was going for a custom barrel for this that would have set me back 2-3x's the amount I paid. Although I'm sure many of these barrels are great, it just wasn't worth it for me at this point in time. Even after cerakoting this barrel w/i the next few months, I'll have under $450 into it.

Edited by jrtmasp