• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best bipod?

I am building an LR-308 and have it almost done. The thing is gonna be a beast though (it's probably gonna be around 10lb when I'm all done...) and I am going to need a bipod on it. I don't want to go too crazy as my budget is limited. I will be varmint hunting with it and will need to shoot from a kneeling position. What brands would you recommend? I know Harris is a good name but I have heard good stuff about some of the cheaper brands like UTG and NcStar as well. Thanks for your input!

Ethan

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. I'm on the fence between an Atlas and a GG&G. I'm leaning toward the Atlas because its so adaptable, its just a little pricey. I like the GG&G except that the legs don't adjust very much...I'm going to the PO in a bit to pick up my Leupold 6.5-20x50 in a bit. I will definitely need a bipod for this rifle. My total weight (bipod included) will be right around 14lb so I won't be free-handing it! It should be a long range tac driver with the 24" bull barrel it has...

I just put on an Atlas on my LR308 this morning... LOVE that thing. Not gotten it to the range obviously, but testing it out at the house makes me think it will kick ass. I was looking at the G&G as well, but the review I watched on YouTube from Accuracy INternational sealed the deal for me. It is VERY adjustable, which will be handy.

I just put on an Atlas on my LR308 this morning... LOVE that thing. Not gotten it to the range obviously, but testing it out at the house makes me think it will kick ass. I was looking at the G&G as well, but the review I watched on YouTube from Accuracy INternational sealed the deal for me. It is VERY adjustable, which will be handy.

The only thing that I'm hesitant about is in a couple reviews of the Atlas it wobbled a little when they moved the gun. Is that because they had the cant knob loosened or is there a small amount of play in the legs themselves? When the cant knob is tightened I would want the bipod to be very secure...what are your thoughts Jim?

I have the Harris HBLMS 9"-13". I installed a sling swivel stud to my free float so I don't have to have an extra picatinny rail installed. While its not considered "QD", it sure is easy to remove and install. This ultra light model has the spring loaded legs and it swivels for moving shots.

The only thing that I'm hesitant about is in a couple reviews of the Atlas it wobbled a little when they moved the gun. Is that because they had the cant knob loosened or is there a small amount of play in the legs themselves? When the cant knob is tightened I would want the bipod to be very secure...what are your thoughts Jim?

Well, first off... this is the review I watched -

Now, that siad... yes, there is a little 'wobble', but I think that it is designed that way. In the video, there is mention that a front/back movement is needed, and I agree. That is what mine has...  if there is any side/side movement, it is because the knob is not tight enough. I actually loosened mine so there would be a little - helps with leveling out the rifle. Again tho, I have not had mine at the range yet. I hope to on Tuesday, and I'll take my MidwayUSA shooting pad so I can lay prone and really give it a workout.

I'll go pull it out of the safe, and play with it some more. Might even take a pic or two and post a write up on it since I just completed it. I'll post again with more info and possibly pics.