• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Buffer / spring and Accuracy

There can be a change in accuracy, based on bolt lock time.  Buffer weight does play into that.  If you're way overgassed, and your bolt is unlocking too soon, your accuracy will be poop.  That was the whole basis for the Tubb CWS, in the first place - increase bolt lock time to increase potential accuracy - recoil reduction was a secondary (if that) design consideration.

I'm going to apologize now if these are dumb questions. Is there a possibility the the longer lock up time (even in milliseconds) from the heavy buffer would cause the chance for excessive pressure? I was grabbing the rifle from the safe this evening to get ready for the range tomorrow and I noticed the hand-guard is loose. It only turns less than a 1/4" but it still turns.  I cannot tighten it cause it stops on the gas tube. Isn't that the barrel nut? I did have the muzzle brake installed last fall but I didn't experience anything like that at all up until Friday. Should I not shoot it and take it back to my gunsmith? It didn't experience excessive pressures to allow to push the barrel forward and loose did it? 

I doubt the additional bolt lock time will do a thing, and won't add any excessive chamber pressure.  The round runs fine, by design, in a bolt gun, and it's lock time could be forever.  Literally. 

Your barrel nut is loose.  Don't shoot it like that.  Time for disassembly, to tighten that barrel nut.  This same thing just came up not long ago - I think ss diagnosed and fixed this for a friend with a CMMG.

That was a great thread!!! I'll see my local gunsmith Tuesday and hopefully this issue will get resolved. Thank you guys so much!!! It shot like a dream before this. I will put it up against any bolt gun on the range. I was hoping by installing the buffer would allow the rifle to run more efficient and not beat up the bolt. The first thing that came to my mind was that I hoped I wasn't trying to fix something that wasn't broke; that I should have left well enough alone.....If it will help someone else one day, I'll give an update w/ a range report....Thanks again to all!!!

• 2 months later...

Improper torque when it was assembled.  Otherwise, it won't loosen up - as you've seen - because the gas tube is almost a "locking pin" for the barrel nut.

Here's the thread to the other instance:

Proper torque on the barrel nut is an absolute must. If its not tight enough you get exactly what happened to the other gentleman plus you can run the risk of damaging various components. On  the flip side if you over torque you can warp the upper with the barrel index pin. The aluminum U shape slot the steel pin fits into will cause it to basically bend or could crack the upper. If the U shape slot goes out of spec due to over doing it on the torque you will " over index " the barrel.   That will cause your iron sights to go to the extreme left or right, usually left and will affect co-witnessing.