• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

another barrel thread...

blue109

so im looking at 2 barrels....both in stock at the moment. the fulton 16", and the rainier select 16" im not a ninja sniper. i will probably never shoot past 500...im content with near MOA groups...... i dont reload...and i generally shoot mediocre quality ammo.  i want a rifle that is fun and reliable.

the fulton has the rifle gas

fulton has 1:10, select has 1:11 twist. .........probably doesnt matter to me?

fulton is chrome lined and ill probably shoot surplus now and then.

select is stainless and i think that looks hawt.

fulton has a .625 gas block? whats up with that? seems a little small?

both have an accuracy guarantee. both have good reps online. 

select has a 90day no questions asked return policy.

select is quite a bit cheaper. i could do select with an adjustable gas block or the fulton with a standard. im not on an unlimited budget for this build. still need to pony up for a free float rail and a slash buffer. i have cash money burning a hole and if i dont buy now some catastrophe will befall me as usual and ill spend the money on responsible crap. i know if making people spend money on gun parts was an Olympic sport, a few of you would have a drawer full of gold medals.

will the fulton with a standard gas block function as well/better than the middy select with an adjustable?

and issues with a .625 od barrel? seems kinda thin to me.

Edited by blue109

so im looking at 2 barrels....both in stock at the moment. the fulton 16", and the rainier select 16" im not a ninja sniper. i will probably never shoot past 500...im content with near MOA groups...... i dont reload...and i generally shoot mediocre quality ammo.  i want a rifle that is fun and reliable.

the fulton has the rifle gas

fulton has 1:10, select has 1:11 twist. .........probably doesnt matter to me?

fulton is chrome lined and ill probably shoot surplus now and then.

select is stainless and i think that looks hawt.

fulton has a .625 gas block? whats up with that? seems a little small?

both have an accuracy guarantee. both have good reps online. 

select has a 90day no questions asked return policy.

select is quite a bit cheaper. i could do select with an adjustable gas block or the fulton with a standard. im not on an unlimited budget for this build. still need to pony up for a free float rail and a slash buffer. i have cash money burning a hole and if i dont buy now some catastrophe will befall me as usual and ill spend the money on responsible crap. i know if making people spend money on gun parts was an Olympic sport, a few of you would have a drawer full of gold medals.

will the fulton with a standard gas block function as well/better than the middy select with an adjustable?

and issues with a .625 od barrel? seems kinda thin to me.

Fulton has been doing this a long time. The rifle gas system will be a smooth shooter. The .625 is a light weight profile. Heck thats actually an inspiration at this moment. If I was able to build a new rifle that might be a great barrel to build a project around. I miss the old days.

If your in no hurry get on Rainiers notify list and spend an extra $100 on Rainiers Ultra Match, those bad boys are made from Shilen blanks. Run a stock pistol grip and shoot a few boxes of cheap ammo to offset some of the cost difference. IMHO the barrel is the last place to skimp.

.625 is also 5/8"

The .308 barrel threads are 5/8"

Look at the barrel picture from FA.... Do the threads and the gas block location look the same diameter?

The ".625 has block" has got to be a typo.

As for the Rainier Select... I bought a 14.5" Rainier Select in 5.56. It was ok, I guess?!?? The finish wasn't all that great, and the threads were a little rough. In fact, when I was cleaning the initial oil off the threads, the rough threads snagged the fibers of the rag I was using. I sold it online, the same afternoon I got it in the mail. I replaced it with the elusive Rainier Match (not the UltraMatch) barrel, by Wilson Barrels. The difference was a 14.5" stainless .223 Wylde 1:8.... I was actually taken back by how much nicer the Match barrel was.

If you're on a budget, and just "ok" is good enough... Get the Select. It will shoot and lay you a long time.

If you can find the extra $$$ in your wallet, and you want the peace of mind that you'll never think "damn, I wish I got a better barrel when I had the chance"... The FA barrel is better made from a better product. Even the spec's are better thought out. If you can afford it now, you will never regret it. Personally, if I had not have bought my über expensive carbon fiber barrel, the FA 16" rifle length barrel was the only other alternative in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, Rainier is a great company and FA might not compete with them in service, but the Select barrels are not a show of Rainiers quality.

Rainer has a noveske 21" in stock. It says that it is for armalite style.

What difference is found between the dpms and armalite style barrels?

It also says the noveske is a NATO chamber.. But from what I've been reading on here it sounds like it doesn't really make a different for the 308/7.62 caliber in a high quality barrel.

Rainer has a noveske 21" in stock. It says that it is for armalite style.

What difference is found between the dpms and armalite style barrels?

The bolts for each are different as with the barrel extensions. Armalite and Noveske are AR10. Everything else is DPMS/ SR25 pattern. Unless you have a Mega Maten set, then you can choose, but must be consistant throughout your build