• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Review of M&P10

EasyEJL

I think I read something like 1300 for it. I had to take a double take but I'm not sure what gun stores would want to sell it for now. After reading up on it, it seems like a basic model with no bells and whistles. Pretty obvious for that price too.

Update: seems to be in the 1600-1750 range. I know I read that it was going to be cheaper just prior to its release though.

Edited by jrtmasp

it seems like a basic model with no bells and whistles.

Pretty far from a basic model, with full ambi controls, right from the factory.  It's so much more a KAC SR-25 than any DPMS-based rifle.  And that's a hell of alot cheaper than you'd get any SAR-25 for.

I'm thinking that people really need to re-think this rifle.  You're getting a hell of alot from them, straight from the factory, that ONE other manufacturer is providing - and that's KAC.  Compare prices and features of those two, and tell me what you come up with...

Pretty far from a basic model, with full ambi controls, right from the factory.  It's so much more a KAC SR-25 than any DPMS-based rifle.  And that's a hell of alot cheaper than you'd get any SAR-25 for.

I'm thinking that people really need to re-think this rifle.  You're getting a hell of alot from them, straight from the factory, that ONE other manufacturer is providing - and that's KAC.  Compare prices and features of those two, and tell me what you come up with...

First off, I am a proud S&W owner but just don't feel that this rifle is stacked. I do realize that this isn't the term you used but I'm just making a point of where this rifle falls. It may be closer to a KAC than a DPMS but IMO I feel that it's still a very long road from a KAC. This is both in quality and price. KAC is definately overpriced. Many reputable companies are producing AR-308 variants at this point and ambi controls are becoming more and more common. I would have to go with the Colt version if I was going to buy a .308 AR tomorrow that is reasonably priced. I say this based on the last time I looked at them prior to the school shooting incident.

Again, I'm not bashing S&W just giving an opinion. I've never fired or held this .308 model but am just not impressed. I have first hand knowledge of a few of their products that hit the market too soon and how common QC issues were. I would wait on any new S&W for at least a year or two.

If anyone is interested in buying one, I can find out more for you. I know people in the company that give me an honest assessment of products I ask about. This includes flaws that I was advised about in the early Bodyguard models and other handguns for example. The one thing I can vouch for is the S&W gunsmiths that have helped me are great and will work with you on any issues if there are any. I haven't found this across the board with other companies.

Edited by jrtmasp

Many reputable companies are producing AR-308 variants at this point and ambi controls are becoming more and more common.

Just start with a list of the ones that come with ambi controls - I'll be happy with that.

List up.  <thumbsup>

Just start with a list of the ones that come with ambi controls - I'll be happy with that.

List up.  <thumbsup>

A number come stock with ambi features. I like them but am still a bit "old school" in my preferences until they grow a bit more on me.

You wanted me to name a few with stock ambi controls.

I'll start with the obvious KAC. Colt, POF, LMT, and HK all also have ambi features.

...and yes, I know prices are higher than S&W and H&K can be left off for obvious availability reasons but they are still on the list.

A number come stock with ambi features. I like them but am still a bit "old school" in my preferences until they grow a bit more on me.

You wanted me to name a few with stock ambi controls.

I'll start with the obvious KAC. Colt, POF, LMT, and HK all also have ambi features.

...and yes, I know prices are higher than S&W and H&K can be left off for obvious availability reasons but they are still on the list.

POF only has an ambi bolt release - it doesn't have an ambi bolt catch.  Ambi mag release for it is the Norgon.  Still, no ambi bolt catch.  Not fully Ambi.  I have three (3) ARs like this.  They're close, but not fully Ambi.

Same notes for the LMT.

Don't think the Colt CM-901 has an Ambi bolt catch, either.  Just the bolt release.  Not fully Ambi.

The H&K 417 is full Ambi?  The 416 isn't, and the 417 is a direct, larger copy...

I think you see my point.  Let me know if you don't. 

Edited by 98Z5V

I love a spirited debate/conversation lol. You're making me work for this one. My original choice was Colt and here is the link with specs. I love Colt but don't own this one.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtLE90116S.aspx

POF lists their current .308 AR with ambi bolt and selector. Check it out for yourself...

http://www.pof-usa.com/16.5-p308-black.html

The LMT MWS has a ambi mag and safety selector.

http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/308-modular-weapon-system.html

HK 417 doesn't have many, just the selector and charging handle from what I understand.

The last one is a no go for me just based on price.

I would buy from any of the other companies though. What can I say besides that I have expensive taste. That's not to say smaller price tags don't carry a good deal with a quality product. I never said they don't after all.

Ambi controls seem to be growing in popularity so I don't see anything but this becoming a growing trend. The next gen of more companies will probably have all the ambi features.

Edited by jrtmasp

jrt, here's what I'm talking about - nobody else does this.  You can add aftermarket ambi controls, and a factory can do that, too.

This piece right here, in the red circle, is what sets this rifle apart from everything else on the market - no matter what ambi controls the other manufacturers claim.  They can't, and aren't doing this:

post-7-0-17589700-1365655141_thumb.jpg

jrt, here's what I'm talking about - nobody else does this. You can add aftermarket ambi controls, and a factory can do that, too.

This piece right here, in the red circle, is what sets this rifle apart from everything else on the market - no matter what ambi controls the other manufacturers claim. They can't, and aren't doing this:

I do concede that this is an extra "bell and whistle" so far as most manufacturers are not offerig this amount of ambi features. However, please take a look at the Colt and this video

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0O9wUV8ozmk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0O9wUV8ozmk

The lower from AX762 will too but it is only a lower so that was not an example that is the same as our discussion. Not to mention the company has taken at least a year longer than they said they would for release and who knows when the upper will be out. The S&W ambi features, personally, don't make me want the rifle any more over some others but it is nice.

Edited by jrtmasp