• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ace Skeleton Stock Problem

jrtmasp

I wanted to put this in a separate thread from my build one and see if any of you guys have had any issues with the Ace Skeleton Stock. I now have about 100 rds through my AR-308 and this seemingly popular stock has already broke, wtf?!?

I have attached 2 pics that might give you an idea of where it broke. Also, I did not overtighten the screws and I applied a small amount of blue locktite to prevent the screws from loosening. I have shot all my rounds from the bench and have never abused the rifle or stock in any way whatsoever. Should I be complaining to the company? It was purchased through MIDWAYUSA, if that would even be worth it to begin with. A closer look at the pad makes me think that the quality behind this product is subpar. Why would there be any type of cheap plastic in the rubber to begin with?

post-13504-0-29391800-1367094493_thumb.j

post-13504-0-64850700-1367094502_thumb.j

I would call Midway.My Coyote came with that stock but I didn't think foam would last so I changed it out right away.

Wow....I've had my ace on my 5.56 gun for years and its solid as a rock. Id make some calls

I thought it was solid from my initial once over. The bottom screw went first and 10 rds later the whole thing broke and fell off. I was just a bit pissed off, as I'm sure you guys can guess. The look of it really grew on me too. I will make some calls Monday and see what happens. Looks like that Magpul PRS might be back on the "to get" list.

The good part is that the friend that I brought is in love with the rifle. I may have converted another. I think that he'd get one tomorrow if he didn't have a newborn at home. I love how this gun fires. It was only a bit more recoil than the S&W AR-15 that he brought

I had the ACE ARFX, and then swapped it for the ARFX-Entry. Both mine held up to the .308 just fine. I only swapped because the LOP was too long for me on the full stock.

My advice... Contact both companies (Ace and Midway) and see if they'll replace the butt pad for you. Chances are, you'd end up with two!!

I had the ACE ARFX, and then swapped it for the ARFX-Entry. Both mine held up to the .308 just fine. I only swapped because the LOP was too long for me on the full stock.

My advice... Contact both companies (Ace and Midway) and see if they'll replace the butt pad for you. Chances are, you'd end up with two!!

Thanks for the input. Maybe I just got a defective product. It seems that ACE wouldn't be so popular if this were a common problem.

Although I think both stocks are good products, I belive that you're going to find that they are very different animals. The PRS, although a strong well built stock, is pretty heavy compared to most of the other options out there, colapsable or fixed, while the Ace, although it lacks tha adjustability of the PRS, is one of the lightest stocks that you can buy. I belive you will find that switching from the Ace to the PRS will have a noticable effect on the balance of your weapon. You may like it, but I bet it feels different. I have not tried one, but I've heard some good things about the new Magpul MOE fixed stock. As others have suggested, I'd contact Ace, I've found them to be a company that stands behind their products.

Although I think both stocks are good products, I belive that you're going to find that they are very different animals. The PRS, although a strong well built stock, is pretty heavy compared to most of the other options out there, colapsable or fixed, while the Ace, although it lacks tha adjustability of the PRS, is one of the lightest stocks that you can buy. I belive you will find that switching from the Ace to the PRS will have a noticable effect on the balance of your weapon. You may like it, but I bet it feels different. I have not tried one, but I've heard some good things about the new Magpul MOE fixed stock. As others have suggested, I'd contact Ace, I've found them to be a company that stands behind their products.

I'm sure you're right about the weight issue. I like the weight of the rifle right now and will try another pad next time I go to the range but I have a very generous offer from another member here for a PRS and will likely jump on it next month. I am still surprised at the plastic components w/i the pad though, which seems to be a horrible design flaw (IMHO). This thing will be a moose next year when I add the scope so what's another pound or so anyways?

I definately love the ACE and just hope that it's a fluke defect because I still plan to buy one of their minimalist stock next year for a build. This will not happen if the second pad cracks like the first.

Edited by jrtmasp

I'm not sure if you just got a bad one, but, aside from one friend that had a problem because the top screw of his pad was too long and protruding into the buffertube, yours is the first problem with the Ace fixed stock that I've heard of.

No, really, who did you buttstroke with that thing?

All kidding aside, I've had one on my LR308 for a while now an have had no problems at all. I think you may have just gotten a defective part.

Ha...there are a few that I'd like to but fortunate for them I didn't want to risk scratching my baby. It's ironic that just before it happened I had mentioned that I wasn't a fan of the 1 inch pad anyways and wanted to go back to the stock one. I got my wish.

That's an A2-length screw, that was shoved through the back of an A1-length system, by the buffer.

That's exactly what that is.  The difference between the two is 5/8", and that's what I'm seeing shoved out the back of that buttstock.

Check the bumper on the end of your buffer - it has a hole in it.  Dead center.

That's an A2-length screw, that was shoved through the back of an A1-length system, by the buffer.

That's exactly what that is.  The difference between the two is 5/8", and that's what I'm seeing shoved out the back of that buttstock.

Check the bumper on the end of your buffer - it has a hole in it.  Dead center.

I'll be checking all the screws tonight. You know way too much about this stuff, brother. I thought everything was good to go but what you're saying makes sense. Looks like I picked the right forum to join and learn from when it comes to building, thank you.