• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt Catch Broke on first shot

Justintoxicated

Finally completed my LR308 style rifle, ill post pics somewhere I guess.  I took it out and broke it on the first shot.  I loaded one round to test fire and the bolt catch broke in 2 on the first shot.  it was a CMMG bolt catch.

Then I went to remove it and the head on the bolt catch set screw was stripped out :(

Got it out with a broken bolt extract and a wrench.

So now, do I request the 2 replacement parts from CMMG or is there something better?  Especially the set screw, I don't want that to strip out again I freaked out when I wasn't able to remove it, and it stripped out super easy when it stripped.  I only used 2 fingers to tighten it...

Armalite 308 bolt catch, and SI Defense stainless screw for it.  Call SI D for the screw (or 2), and have them send it US Postal to you.  <thumbsup>

Nice, I will call SI tomorrow.

Where can I get an armalite bolt catch?  I see them on armalites website but they have 2 versions.  Which one will work for me?

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10203100&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=11203100&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c

A series is for the pmag specifically 

Well I want to use pmags, but this is an LR 308 rifle not an armalite, so still not sure which one to choose.

Will it hold up though?  Is it worth it?  This is more of a bench gun that weights 16.5 lbs.. 

Well I want to use pmags, but this is an LR 308 rifle not an armalite, so still not sure which one to choose.

Will it hold up though?  Is it worth it?  This is more of a bench gun that weights 16.5 lbs.. 

for the LR308, right now its the LR20 model pmag. they are coming out with new ones, but I don't think they've started actually selling them yet.

Dunno if thats really worth it, but it does seem like the only way to get the extended bolt release lever onto an LR308 pattern given the way the upper is made. that one has it built into the bolt latch mechanism instead of being an addon that clamps on.

for the LR308, right now its the LR20 model pmag. they are coming out with new ones, but I don't think they've started actually selling them yet.

Dunno if thats really worth it, but it does seem like the only way to get the extended bolt release lever onto an LR308 pattern given the way the upper is made. that one has it built into the bolt latch mechanism instead of being an addon that clamps on.

I have 5 pmags on backorder for 3 months not, no idea if I will end up with the old or new ones.  Right now I'm using ASC 10 rounders.

Reviews on brownells are hit and miss.  One guy says it will not fit right on his DPMS style AR, but worked fine on his mega.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-hardware/bolt-releases/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-extended-bolt-release-prod31943.aspx

hmm yeah, interesting. I had bought one of the tactical link EBALs to use, but it doesn't fit given the shape of the DPMS upper's cutout. I hadn't poked around for reviews on those yet i may ask phase 5 about it on their facebook page, just to see what they think about that one review.

hmm yeah, interesting. I had bought one of the tactical link EBALs to use, but it doesn't fit given the shape of the DPMS upper's cutout. I hadn't poked around for reviews on those yet i may ask phase 5 about it on their facebook page, just to see what they think about that one review.

I'm afraid to post on facebook from work.  maybe I can find it on my phone or something though.

A series is for the pmag specifically 

Is the A-Series the one I want then?  I don't know which armalite would work.  I just read the Si defense is about $78 WTH!

edit - they don't even make them anymore...

Ok, so for the armalite Bolt Catch, its $31 because it's $15 to ship the $16 part...

Damn...seems pricey, and does not appear any different than the CMMG one I used in the area where it broke (the narrow area between the lever and the catch.

Edited by Justintoxicated

Either Armalite AR-10 bolt catch will work - I'm running the original version in mine, since 2010, before there was a Pmag-model.  EIther one, brother.  It's a beefier design than the DPMS part.

I ordered the armalite, but I don't think it has shipped yet.

I got the following response from CMMG.

I have issued a sales order to our shipping department. They should be pulling a new bolt catch and bolt catch screw and shipping them out to you today. By the way our new bolt catches for our .308s are stouter so you hopefully won't have this one break.  Should I cancel my order for the armalite one?

Should I cancel my order for the armalite one?

No.  Spare parts are good.

Second, sounds like CMMG is now shipping an Armalite AR-10 bolt catch.  After all, their "new part" is beefier. There's only one way to go with that part, and it's Armalite - they (CMMG) didn't redesign the part.  They sourced from somewhere else... 

No.  Spare parts are good.

Second, sounds like CMMG is now shipping an Armalite AR-10 bolt catch.  After all, their "new part" is beefier. There's only one way to go with that part, and it's Armalite - they (CMMG) didn't redesign the part.  They sourced from somewhere else... 

^^^^^^^   SPARE AR PARTS ARE ALWAYS A GOOD THING TO HAVE ^^^^^^^^^^^

Somewhere here, I posted pics of the rifle-parts box.  I offered anyone that could name all the parts some free schit.  I don't remember what I offered for a winner, but it wasn't cheap schit.  That still stands, but now you have to find the post, and the pics of parts box...  <dontknow> <laughs>

I snapped a picture of the bolt catches when I got them in.

left to right:  Armalite, CMMG (the one that broke), CMMG Gen3.

I'm thinking to install the CMMG, it looks the most stout, but who knows which materials are best.  i would imagine the actual metal is more important than design as far as breaking?  Can someone explain to me in a new way what the little notch that is tabbed out does?  That is supposed to catch on the magazine right?  Note that the armalite's nub sticks down unlike the CMMG, I would imagine this is a superior design?  However the CMMG seems a little thicker.   How important is it to have that nub lower than the rest of the edge? Should the bolt stop work without a magazine inserted?  Mine seems to catch the bolt without the mag inserted.

8837849010_8da73d487f_b.jpg
BoltCatches by Glamisduner, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I just can't solve the bolt catch issues.  Not sure who to point the finger at next?

I installed the CMMG bolt catch and took it out.  The problem is that sometimes the bolt will bind up on the catch.  I took the upper off to see what was going on.

8934788940_fb10157db7_b.jpg

So you can see the bolt catch seems to have some interference with the upper.  It's not able to be pushed flat against the upper so the bolt binds a little.  The gun still cycled for the most part but if I pull the bolt back with the charging handle sometimes it will get stuck on the catch, then slam forward.  Once or twice the bolt locked back before the magazine was empty.

So then I thought I would try the Armalite Bolt catch, but that failed too, I guess it's a hair thicker, this catch gets stuck open or closed due to the increased thickness of the catch.  It mostly fits, but seems to get pinched in the lower where the spring and detent are.  It's not going to work unless I sand it down at a minimum.

Heres a picture that explains the bolt catches and there issues.

8934788818_72b017b25d_b.jpg

So, I can grind out that curve in the CMMG bolt catch and I think it would solve the problem, the gun still cycles even though the bolt catch is binding up a little so it probably wouldn't take much.  The armalite would require at least some sanding because it is too thick for my lower.  Or should I contact JD Machine and see if they can modify my upper and lower to work with a bolt catch?

Edited by Justintoxicated

I'd feel better about modding the small replicable part the the receiver. Do some cutring on the CMMG catch since its the least valuable. If you get it to work...great. If not...no big loss.

Yea I agree, bust out the dremel.  I think I will wait to see what JD and CMMG say first though.  I'm almost 100% that it will work on the CMMG, since the rifle still cycles now even though it catches a little. Removing just a tiny bit more material and it should be gtg.  Not sure how much it would weaken the bolt catch though.  Otherwise I would definitely have to grind the upper to fix it at which point I'll be kinda pissed since its was $600 for the matched set.