• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grip on AR-15/DPMS LR-308

Friends,

I have a question. Does the grip (or 'pistol grip') on an AR-15 fit on a DPMS LR-308?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about ordering a Tubb Precision T2K RH Wood Grip (Walnut). I have larger hands, and I also like wood -- sort of old-fashioned that way. So it would suit me well and make my rifle distinctive.

Tubb isn't very good about explaining what fits what, but if I read things right, the grip they're selling at least fits the AR-15, maybe. Their references to the "SR-25 and TUBB 2000" are disturbing, and maybe irrelevant. And then they talk about AR "style" -- like it looks like Rambo might shoot bad guys with something similar, but actually only fits the Walt Disney platform.

If it actually fits the AR, and the AR part 'crosses over' to the DPMS, I'm good to go.

Thanks!

Edited by gnatshooter

I've done a fair amount of woodworking in my time, even some cabinets. One thing's for sure, you can remove wood from a wood piece, but you can't add it back. This needs to be right, and done right, right out of the box. Making this piece requires machines I don't have.

That's what he said . He also said its because of they don't use a side safety, so the can raise the thumb platform . 

I'm sure he has one or can have one made for an AR 15.

Or a Dremel tool would make short work of it .

Well, if that's the only issue, I can fix that in less than two minutes with a belt sander. Very cool!

As far as I can tell, Tubb is the only outfit that sells AR (sorta) wood grips anywhere. They'd make more sales, I'd bet, if they fixed a few things with their website -- and that pesky glitch with the safety lever. I know a couple pro woodworkers who could take that market in a hearbeat, and maybe they should.

With the demand for AR-type rifles that look unique, I'd think the market for wood grips would be fairly big. Not big enough to retire on, maybe, but big enough to buy a fine rifle or two.

• 5 months later...

ive swapped my grips back and forth from my ar15 to my lr308... the only difference i see is that the top part of the grip has some space above it on the 308. magpul sells a spacer for the miad grip to solve that problem. if youre running a grip that doesnt have that back strap then it should be a direct fit?

http://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul-MIAD-AR10-SR25-Grip-Wedge-BLK-p/mag065.htm

theres no sanding involved.

i have the miad on my 308...

Tubb Precision responded to my email about their grip on the DPMS LR-308. They said, yes, it will fit. Period.

So it fits the DPMS, but won't fit an AR? Hm.

Depends on the lower receiver. Some 308's have a different radius on the section between the grip and the buffer tube. If the grip has an upper curved backstrap area, it leaves a gap. This isn't true of all 308 lower receivers. The CMMG will accept a standard AR15 grip like the Magpul MOE, and MIAD.

BTW, the MOE+ is nice.

Edited by shibiwan