• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrels. What manufacturer should I go with?

Haystack

On my introduction post I got 10+/- barrel makers, but no 100% definitive which is the best. I've read Mike Rock and 5R from Obermeyer are up their, but Boots is out several months on shipping and Walther is 8+ months. If I cannot decide on a specific maker I'll probably go with a Rainier Arms UltraMatch due yo its availability. I want superior accuracy, and longevity. Not quite thread a needle at 1K but hit a 10 inch plate several times. Even if I buy an ULTRAMATCH now and get on the list for Walther or another maker. So I in effect am pre-accurizing to all of yalls own annoyance. I despise having a "best no less" mentality.

Haystack, I hate to tell you this but there isn't any #1 barrel maker. You can buy two barrels with the exact same specifications, SN# 000001 and SN# 000002 from Whoevermanufacturing and #1 might shoot 3/4" MOA , #2 might do 3/8". If anyone tells you that Whoevermanufacturing is the absolute best & most accurate barrel they're full of crap! IMHO

But who is the most respectable manufacturer. I understand anomalies in manufacturing that can add or detract from the intended use of the part / component in question. But who has the most use and accuracy bias overall? Lothar Walther (guessing from Larue's inherant sub m.o.a. out of the box) or

Always! Always! Always....double-check headspace if you change barrels. Or, buy a new bolt when you change barrels. AR's are pretty forgiving......but it's always best to play it safe. A set of headspace gauge's are only about 100 bucks (or less). A pretty good deal, to save your hands or face.

Just throwin it out there

Also look into Lilja he makes good stuff not at long on the waiting list. I would say the most I see advertised and that are know would be the following. These are listed as they come to memory and not by order of best or worst. I hope this helps alot will depend on your barrel length and what you want to do or how long you want to wait. 

Krieger / Criterion

Bartlein

Rock Creek 

Hart

Lilja 

Douglas 

Lothar Wather

Ranier Arms Ultr match which is a Shilien 

I've read Krieger and Lothar Walther are the best as far as reputation for a manufacturer and Rainier as a completion/distribution company have incredibly high remarks for customer service and out of the box reliability

I'd personally go with Krieger, but I have a business related bias against LW, so take it for what it's worth.... ;)

• 1 month later...