• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pretty Impressive

Thing to remember is how relevant is this to your own application and needs. Also some coating are for things like lubricity, color etc. Corrosion resistance might not be critical or intended.

Here at the day job we use ceramic coatings for wear and durability. We use teflon and chrome type finishes for lubricity and to keep sticky things from sticking.

I didn't see Titanium Nitride in the mix.....

Material Notes: Thin film coating applied by environmentally safe, Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) vacuum system. Can be applied to most metals to provide enhanced surface characteristics, and can also be applied to some ceramics and plastics. Has the appearance of gold, but is an ultra-hard material. Is harder than carbide and chrome, approximately 85 Rc. Is highly inert - Will not corrode and has excellent chemical resistance. Provides a non-stick surface. Prevents galling. Can withstand elevated temperatures. Is non-toxic - Used for surgical devices and food processing equipment. Is dense and non-porous. Is typically 3 micrometers or 0.0001" thick. Has a uniform thickness that follows the contour of the part's surface. Forms an outstanding bond to the base material that will not blister, flake or chip. Cutting tools typically last 3 to 10 times longer than uncoated tools.

Edited by BLKSHEEP

Impressive, but I disagree that corrosion is more prominent than wear. Especially when you take into consideration modern cleaning tools, quality cartridges and avid shooters. I know some SWAT guys that are easily doing 5k rounds a year in their Colt M4's. There's no signs of corrosion, and plenty of wear.

Thats my thing too. My Colt has seen many hot and humid CT summers and cold snowy Vermont winters since 1992 and with normal care the phosphate has shown no signs of anything other than wear. Now I can see where folks in special situations might need to worry about corrosion but the average joe maybe not so much. But to each his own

Thats my thing too. My Colt has seen many hot and humid CT summers and cold snowy Vermont winters since 1992 and with normal care the phosphate has shown no signs of anything other than wear. Now I can see where folks in special situations might need to worry about corrosion but the average joe maybe not so much. But to each his own

Very true. I think many are being sold on the idea of how one can avoid corrosion with this and that coating or the little amount of lubrication that might be needed with certain coatings. Unfortunately, there's a big price difference between many of the choices.

I'm interested in cerakoting because of the durability and how there's a growing number of certified people that are very good at the patterns that they can create. However, I'll be paying through the nose for the look. It's not something that I'll be carefree about doing with all my rifles and handguns....mainly because that equals less in the safe.