• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Brand New LAR8EO - Ripped Rim Off First Round Fired

GS455

With all due respect Washguy I have read all posts (that's why I ask questions).  I was simply reaffirming that I have never had any problems with this ammo in other well made firearms.  Now I know certain ammo can be finicky for certain rifles.  1950s 8mm Yugo is a no-go in my semi autos due to hard primers and old Turkish 8mm is hot loaded (for semi autos) and the brass is weak.  Many ripped rims with that before I realised it's bolt gun ammo only.

RR is well aware of the ammo I was using and have no problem with it.  From what I have learned here and elsewhere the evidence of the abrasion on the brass and at least one ripped rim the chamber is somehow tight&rough and holding on to the spent brass a bit too tight for normal extraction.  RR is concerned and want it back right away. 

Edited by GS455

^^^  Sure would void it.  I'd just send it in and have it looked at under warranty.  Well, provided it doesn't take them 14 months to get it back to you.  If they're gonna be quick about it, there's no reason not to, but that's something I'd verify in a phonecall prior to shipment.  It would be quite easy to bring it up politely - "Hey guys, I'm just wondering how long the process will be, from shipment-to-shipment.  I waited 12 months (or whatever) from payment-to-receipt of this rifle, and I'm really excited to get it out and run it..."

Something along those lines.

I have run German,and Paki milsurp without a hitch.RRA Standard Operator.Call RR like brother Tom suggested.I have run used Fal mags that I repaced the springs in from Wolff.Recently had a bro makeup some rounds that ejected but on the followup shot BCG went rearward enough to reset trigger but just went click.Haveing to pull back CH which turned rifle into a single shot.Followed with factory didn't miss a beat.Sold them on the job to a bro with a Ruger Scout.The only thing was right out the box brass had a noticeable scuff from extractor which after 700 or so rounds has decreased and was different relative to case from ammo used.

Already been called. It's going back next week. Will advise on return and will definitely ask about turn around time.

Meanwhile . . . anyone know who does refurb work on Russian PU Scopes? Oops. Guess that's a topic for another forum. :-(

Edited by GS455

Meanwhile . . . anyone know who does refurb work on Russian PU Scopes?  Oops.  Guess that's a topic for another forum.  :-(

I think I found a possibility just yesterday or the day before.  I'll look it up.

EDIT - These guys might know; worth the call, anyway.

http://www.tworiversarms.com/index.html

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...

Got the rifle back beggining of the week.  The reemed and polished the chamber, replaced the extractor.  EXCELLENT prompt service.  We'll see how it does next time out to the range.

BTW They have no problem with any specific milsurp by name but do warn against corrosive ammo and reloads.

Got the rifle back beggining of the week. The reemed and polished the chamber, replaced the extractor. EXCELLENT prompt service. We'll see how it does next time out to the range.

BTW They have no problem with any specific milsurp by name but do warn against corrosive ammo and reloads.

oh they also mentioned Magtech as problematic

• 2 weeks later...

Methinks you need to send it back to have the chamber checked - especially since it's brand new. Send the empty cartridges along with it too...

-S

Had a similar problem with my LAR-8 and three different uppers a few years back. There were some extremely sharp and jagged edges on the back side of the chamber lugs that needed to be smoothed out. They were scoring every piece of brass that went into the chamber, with some occasional FTEs. Sent the uppers back to RRA for the (partial) remedy, and admonished them for not being more attentive to QA/QC before sending the uppers out for sale the first time. Had to send one back a second time and now it's all g2g.