• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fun at the range.

shibiwan

I was at the Usery range (aka Usery Mountain Shooting Range, aka Rio Salado...) bright and early yesterday to test out some of the pieces I made. Pretty happy with the results although some of the parts need adjustment (i.e. the 12oz buffer was a little too heavy for Fed XM80C rounds).

Was really happy with the 200 yard group. :D (FGMM SMK 168gr)

post-14035-0-45268600-1381769221.jpg

post-14035-0-45268600-1381769221_thumb.j

Edited by shibiwan

Nice target, so how was the felt recoil with that heavy of buffer?

Much much much less recoil. It actually felt pretty comfortable to shoot, and bruising on the shoulder is non existent (I seem to bruise at the shoulder when I shoot the 308). Was surprised that I could hold the groups tight at 200m with the buffer plus the Giessele SSA-E.

The XM80C was the only problemmatic round. The FGMM SMK's and American Eagle shot fine. With the XM80C, I believe the XM80C was under powered (for the 12oz buffer) so the rifle was randomly short stroking by about 1/2", causing it to FTF, and empty mags were caught at the BCG, not the face of the bolt. The 175gr reloads I got off my friend fired fine with no issues.

Next test - reduce the buffer weight - bring extra weights so I can swap them out at the range. Hoping to finish making the compensator too and see if I can get better/quicker follow up shots.

Edited by shibiwan

Next test - reduce the buffer weight - bring extra weights so I can swap them out at the range. Hoping to finish making the compensator too and see if I can get better/quicker follow up shots.

Well for reference, Slash's .308AR carbine heavy buffers come in at 5.6oz and 6.5oz.

I just hadn't been to either one, so I wasn't sure, man.  I need to try it out one day. 

Just give me a shout - I'm a RSSC member and can bring guests in... I think....

.....correction: I can bring in guests at $5 instead of $7...$2 savings... woop dee doo.

Oh yeah, here's a pic of the main range from a few weeks ago.

post-14035-0-34876000-1381815245.jpg

post-14035-0-34876000-1381815245_thumb.j

Edited by shibiwan