• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

building the wife a new shooter

Robocop1051

So for Christmas I've been slowly working on a new build for my wife. She's constantly on me about why she doesn't have her own rifle and I have... well, I have mine.

So I'm working on a plinker/light hunter. She like shooting squirrels with me. She's also very petite, so weight can turn into an issue.

The first build I was looking at is a .22lr, using the barrel and BCG from Taccom3G. It'd be super lightweight and inexpensive to shoot. It's also fairly affordable to build.

The second option was the .17 HMR build from Alexander Arms. You get a lot more bang out of a rim fire. Practically quadruple your effective range. I'd gain a bit more weight, but quite a bit more performance. The ammo isn't atrociously expensive or rare either.

Pros and cons for both. A lot of my decision will be based on a return email from Alexander Arms.

What do you guys think? Opinions? Experience?

If I do the .22lr build, I imagine the build will be ~5 lbs. I've seen them as light as 3.8 lbs, but they are strictly .22lr shooters.

I'd like to keep it semi-tactical, and able to quickly convert back to a center fire rifle with just an upper swap.

I'm waiting for MAG tactical to release their Mg upper receivers. Then I'll likely add the new MI Gen2 keymod, or the BCM keymod if it gets released.

I figure that the parts I want/like will add an overall 1.5 lbs to the rifle. I use gunstruction to mock up a basic idea of what I wanted.

It would be good to get the opinion of a squirrel hunter on the use of .17, if there's a plan to eat those critters. Which are tasty, I'm told. It might be there's so much punch to a .17 that it wrecks a lot of meat. I've heard, for instance, that CCI Stingers (.22) wreck a lot of squirrel meat and a slower round is better.

It would be good to get the opinion of a squirrel hunter on the use of .17, if there's a plan to eat those critters. Which are tasty, I'm told. It might be there's so much punch to a .17 that it wrecks a lot of meat. I've heard, for instance, that CCI Stingers (.22) wreck a lot of squirrel meat and a slower round is better.

17hm2-kills em good lots of usable left

17hmr- try ur best for head shots bc it opens em like a brock lestner opening a bag of lays potato chips.

.223 36gr grenades-what squirrel?

Only tree squirrels are good eatin. The little ground rats we shoot are garbage. We leave them for the birds... or to bait the coyotes.

As for builds....

These are something of what I had in mind. They aren't "exact" but you get a good idea of what I'm thinking about. They're very similar, just changing barrels and internals.

.22lr Taccom 3G

22LR_zps549567b2.png

.17 HMR Alexander Arms

17HMR_zps33f4452f.png

Edited by Robocop1051

Well , .22 ammo has been hard to find & that .17 fodder is not exactly plinking ammo priced . Hard choice.

Those two rifle configurations look like they will be close to the price range of a full blown AR 15 in 5.56 cal..

Just build her a Carbine in 5.56 & get a  22 cal. conversion for it . <dontknow>

Build them both, and which ever one your wife doesn't want I'll buy for "my wife" :D

Edit-

Went back and re-read some of the posts I had been following and ran across my comment ^^^^^^

I obviously skimmed this post way to fast and assumed you were joking about a build for the wife. My bad, I feel like an idiot.

Edited by .308LiteHunter