• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LPK recommendations for SI HK receiver???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well gents, I received an e-mail from John at SI Defense this morning. He's sending me a shipping label and wants me to ship both the upper and lower back. I'll give him a call in a bit and discuss the particulars, but that's where we stand at this point. Just the fact that they're paying for shipping both ways is an excellent note. Something that other manufacturers should take note of and try to emulate! ;)

Edit: Both the upper and lower went out today at 1149 eastern time.

Edited by 2336

While I've got you guys' attention and we're waiting for John at SI to work his magic, I've got a dumb question. The ejection port door rod and spring - are they the same between Armalite and DPMS pattern weapons? The doors themselves are the same, correct? I figured I'd ask since I still have a few smaller parts to gather for this and my AR-10B build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  I had to leave town to take care of a short notice problem up north in Indiana.  As I mentioned earlier I saw that SI Defense had shipped the "fixed" upper/lower receiver set.  The package arrived Friday and my neighbor was good enough to pick up my mail and put the package from SI Defense (and one from Armalite, too!  Different story though!) inside on the dining room table.  Got home early this afternoon, all excited of course!  After unloading the truck and getting settled back in I opened the package from Kalispell, Montana.  Looked at the paperwork that accompanied it which said "RETURNED TO CUSTOMER WITH NEW UPPER RECEIVER".  I then unwrapped the receiver set.  It looked just like the set I sent off!  The "new" upper is a standard - again, not the HK format, and is brand new because this one isn't serialized to match the lower.  It looks like they just slapped another standard upper on there without even looking.  WTF!!!  Just in case there was something I might be missing, such as the possibility that they had modified a standard upper to work with the HK magazines I tried it out - still no go!  Again WTF!!!  This has been a monumental waste of 20 days!  Do these people even look at the parts they're handling???  I was going to e-mail John in the sales department but I think this crap deserves a phone call!  I don't think this is gonna be fun. >:(

Edited by 2336

Well folks, I must admit I had a completely different expectation of what was going to happen this morning.  Talked to John at SI Defense.  Apparently they have some new folks that aren't paying attention!  Anyway, they're going to pay for 2-day Air both ways and make this right.  Regardless, this is frustration that I really don't need right now.

SI will make good for you. They have a stellar reputation here. I would stake my name in their defense. Hell, I'll make the call for you myself if you needed it.

Remember, everyone is having Christmas right now. It's not easy for anyone this time of year.

My personal suggestion... Tuaca and hot apple cider. (E&J and eggnog wrecks my stomach)

SI will make good for you. They have a stellar reputation here. I would stake my name in their defense. Hell, I'll make the call for you myself if you needed it.

Remember, everyone is having Christmas right now. It's not easy for anyone this time of year.

My personal suggestion... Tuaca and hot apple cider. (E&J and eggnog wrecks my stomach)

Right on brother, they have done right by me and will continue to have me as a customer. Everybody's having to deal with the rush of this season.

Well gang, the receiver set is on it's way back.  Talked to John this morning.  They're paying 2-day shipping there and back.  He's already set aside the correct upper receiver and will have his production manager handle the fitting of the new upper personally.  I hope to have it back before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Well gang, I got the receiver set back a couple of days ago.  Got the correct upper this time, here's a few photos:

100_2255_zpsf4730e24.jpg

100_2256_zps5dbca12e.jpg

Plus they were nice enough to send me a couple of 20rd HK magazines to boot.  Well, I've got some minor issues to iron out with John at SI so I'll leave things there.

Well, the next step is to open up this package that I just got from SI Defense!  Ooh, ooh, ooh! :banana:   Got my first lower receiver back, with a correct HK format upper.  This set fits so tight it's awesome!  Talked to Robert and John.  Looks like I accidentally got someone else's order.  So, they'll be e-mailing me a shipping label and they'll get the other set back.  Now I can really start gathering parts for this build!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Looks like things are looking up!  I'll post more photos in a few minutes. <thumbsup>

Almost the final chapter.  Sent back the other receiver set and the two 20rd HK magazines.  That apparently was someone else's order that got sent to me by mistake.  Got an e-mail from Robert yesterday, that they received that receiver, but they're sending the two 20rd HK magazines back to me, along with the forward assist.  Turns out that John had intentionally sent those mags to me in the first place as a thank you. ^-^   So, it all turned out good. <thumbsup> Now to start gathering the rest of the parts for this build! :banana:

Edited by 2336

• 9 months later...

I couldn't help but notice you have the same issue I had.

Screenshots_2013-11-22-20-35-30_zps37f86and touched it up

To prevent this from getting worse, you'll have to relieve the inside of the safety lever. Find my .308 build thread in the "SI Defense" section.

Didn't the bolt catch cutout raise any red flags? Amazing that it made it through so many hands and passed inspection each time. I look forward to SI-D's response to this.

Robocop1051,

I just finished taking a dremel to the backside of my safety selector.  Also, I was a bit annoyed with the rear take-down pin.  I didn't like having to use a punch or something else to get the pin started when opening the receiver halves so I replaced the DPMS length take-down pin with an Armalite take-down pin.  Problem solved.  The Armalite pin has about 1/16" exposed on the left side, just enough for me to get it started with my fingertip.

On the rest of the stuff, here's the status:

Just got in my barrel - BHW 18" polygonal rifling, rifle length gas system, lightweight profile.  Sending it off to get an "F" FSB mounted, then complete the build and post photos.

Have an SI Ni-B BCG on the way.

Edited by 2336

Not really sitting on it.  My work takes me on the road a lot, far more than when I was active duty.  I did a month at Ft. Stewart, GA in April , then 3 months at Cranbury, NJ, then 5 weeks in 29 Palms, CA.  Got back home the 15th of October and was able to order the parts I needed to complete these projects.  Just have to get a small bit of machining done and then I can get down to assembling!  I hope to have some photos for you guys by mid-Nov! <thumbsup>

• 4 months later...

Okay gang, I finally got off my duff and did some stuff.  Unfortunately some of it wasn't right.  So folks, get ready to pile on!  LOL  I'll post the photos first.  This is the HK with the 18" BHW barrel and a set of A1 triangular handguards.  Second photo is the Ni-B BCG from SI Defense.

100_3146_zpsvyj6xwhc.jpg

100_3011_zpsf2910cb9.jpg

Okay, now here's the embarrassing part - someone didn't do their due diligence when it came to research - one guess.  If you look very close you'll notice that the slip-ring is pushed all the way back in order to mount the A1 handguards, which were also shortened.  When I sent the barrel off to get the FSB mounted the guy that did the work mentioned that there was about a quarter inch difference in the gas port location between the AR-10 barrel and the BHW barrel for the HK, with the HK being a quarter inch further back.  I didn't realize that the DPMS pattern barrels can't use standard AR15 length handguards like the AR-10s can.  BTW, I have shot it with the BHW barrel and I LIKE IT!  Nice tight groups, I just need a taller front sight post, she's hitting very high and I can't get the front sight post up any higher without it coming out.  So now here is my question.  Are there A2 type handguards that fit a DPMS pattern rifle length gas system with a triangular handguard cap?  Standard A2 handguards pulled off my M16A4 clone measure 12" flange to flange and are about 3/8" too long.  So I guess I need something 11 1/2" to 11 3/4" long.  Push come to shove I'll tear everything apart and mount a float tube but that's not what I intended.  I was looking for a more military/utilitarian look.

Edited by 2336