• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Questions for my build

Cali_Ed

Hello everyone,

Building a 308 from a tm lower and possibly upper if they ever come back into stock.

The purpose of my rifle will be to shoot paper and if "SHTF" provide food.

I'm not worried About weight, and want to be able to shoot up to 1k with. Out to much trouble.

So my questions to you guys are

- barrel length and manufacturer. (Kreiger, Rainer ultra, or??)

- what bcg to run for optimal performace

- what stock( was thinking prs or thordsons featureless stock)

- trigger i was thinking going with ssa-e

- what glass to run ( dot sight with magnifier or scope)

Going to be shooting bench rest or prone mostly if this helps.

Thanks again

I have a NF 5-22X56 ZS/ High Speed Turret on my Remington 700 300 WM.  If you are going to 1000, you will need a 20 MOA base...and probably/maybe a 40 MOA base for a 308. (depending on the optic).  I shot the Win Mag to 1700 in Idaho at a Defensive Edge course with 70 MOA elevation and a 20 MOA base. 

I was thinking a 20" barrel, from reading other build threads there are huge wait times for the good barrels is this correct ? 1700 is a long ways. I'm keeping it under 1k. Thanks for the suggestions. Any of you guys have experience with the Rainer match barrels vs Kreiger vs black hole i think it is.

Young mfg national match is sold at rainer and brownells. I dont have any experience with but i hear good things. What i can say is my jp looks as good as the day i got it. Shows almost no wear but on the bolt face. Shoots sub half moa when im in the groove with reloads and FGMM. One thing i did need is a bcm extractor spring upgrade ($5) for it to not FTR on the cheaper ammo. Got my bolt from a guy on here. Btw someone on calguns has a full JP low mass bcg for sale

Edited by bubbasks

I would pay more attention to Barrel/chamber , trigger & glass than BCG. ,Sure nice to have a better made BCG , but once the cartridge is in the chamber , the BCG is out of play ( as long as its locked & head spaced correctly ,that is ).

I have a 20" & a 16" HB by Fulton Armory & the 20" is a tac driver , both have FA BCG's  , the 16 "HB has only MBUS sights , but I have a 6 x 18 scope coming to do side by side comparisons this coming year . It will not stay on the 16" because I'm building an 18.5 this coming year & that's the 6 x 18's home when its done .

Most will want a longer barrel for the retention of Velocity , for long range shooting .

Nothing wrong with JP parts , they do make some of the best parts on the market , but I see no difference in a so called " Match " BCG & a STD. DPMS type, as far as operation .  

Barrel/chamber , trigger system ,  glass ,ammo &  the shooter is what will get you to reach out & touch them.

Some will say they want tight fitting receiver match up's vs. a looser fit ,but I see no way to factually test that, any more than comparing a " Match" bolt vs. a std bolt . No two barrels will shoot alike , so how can you do a side by side comparison if its a known factor.  IMO

Edited by survivalshop

Thanks for the great info ! I was set on a noveske barrel until i read it was only for armalite broke my heart. So i was debating the Rainer ultra,bh, or Kreiger.

Another thing that I should have mentioned is I'm not set up for reloading yet and will be shooting off the shelf ammo. I'm not sure how this will impact my barrel choices?

1000 yards... Hmmm... Well shootin' that far cost money !

How much are you willing to spend ?

Nightforce really ! Exotic parts/coatings.

Want to shoot a 1000 yards , get a bolt gun with a magnum cartridge. Then practice. Sorry to come off as an A$$hole ,but you have to crawl before you can walk. Build a LR308 with a 24" barrel and a 6 to 20 X 50mm scope with a 20moa mount then go practice. A lot !

Another thing that I should have mentioned is I'm not set up for reloading yet and will be shooting off the shelf ammo. I'm not sure how this will impact my barrel choices?

it doesn't impact barrel choice at all, but will impact your wallet if you're trying to get to 1000 yards reasonably accurately. You're going to have to try a pretty fair amount of different ammos to find what your rifle "likes" at the longer ranges.

well, and crap, I guess it does make a little difference. The only difference in barrel choice that is relevant to ammo is twist rate, and that is based on what weight ammo you'll usually be shooting

Edited by EasyEJL

1000 yards... Hmmm... Well shootin' that far cost money !

How much are you willing to spend ?

Nightforce really ! Exotic parts/coatings.

Want to shoot a 1000 yards , get a bolt gun with a magnum cartridge. Then practice. Sorry to come off as an A$$hole ,but you have to crawl before you can walk. Build a LR308 with a 24" barrel and a 6 to 20 X 50mm scope with a 20moa mount then go practice. A lot !

And with that, are you wanting to hit a 4'x4' target at 1k yds or 6-10". Many people shoot cheaper 10x glass and hit large 1k targets fine. But it takes alot more to hit a 1k yrd target where u want to hit it. People hit large steel targets with mosins and irons all the time.

I want to hit a quarter at 1k yards lol, no guys i want to eventually some day shoot that far i just want my rifle to be capable. Of course i will crawl first. Just dont want to spend money now to make the rifle do one thing then spend more later. Rather buy once/cry once

Edit: how far do you guys think i can go with a dot site and the a flip up magnifier ?

Edited by Cali_Ed