• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your 2011 training goals?

J.Boyette

Well I had my right shoulder rebuilt last august and my left shoulder rebuilt this sept. My training goal is to be able to pick up a rifle and hold it long enough to squeeze off a shot. <dontknow> I shot a little bullseye a couple weeks ago and I didn't embarass myself too badly. So I guess the right shoulder is doing ok. <thumbsup>

I have been thinking that the most profitable  way to improve shooting at this time is just to start keeping better records of practice sessions.  With that in mind I did a google (shooting diary) and came up with a printable page for a notebook which , I think pretty much covers all bases. The sheet covers Performance Analysis and as well weather, attitude, preparation, concentration etc. I think analysis or at least attention to how you get to the range can be as important as how you do after you get there.  We often pay too much attention to results and not enough to preparation.

I intend to start back shooting prone position smallbore as a prep for other stuff. I don't know what is done with AR in prone or other competition. Smallbore is available with a monthly match in the area and anything on a regular basis is better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've never had any formal marksmanship experience I recommend becoming a member of a club and doing some formal bullseye  shooting. Both NRA pistol and four position small bore rifle will teach you everything you need to know about sight alignment, trigger squeeze, and breath control. Once you master the basics than IDPA and three-gun will go a long way toward mastering the basic runnin' and gunnin' skills. After that you need to spend some money and attend a serious gun fighting school. Good coaching is the best way to avoid picking up bad habits that are tough to fix later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am looking at more long range shooting  but there are no long range locations near, have to travel few countys away to get over 478 yds.

thats what we have on  private owned land.  local club only has max of 200yds.  up state to shoot long range.  more 3 gun matches. I do not run due to knees but I still  just for me, never won against anyone but myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...