• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bore Sighting at1,000yds

N Jensen

Shooting a 1,000yds with irons or scoped rifle is not hard, but if something goes wrong with your scope or rear sight. Just how would, or could you get back on target. A fancy bore sighter kit would be nice, but it is not going to help that much.

This basic problem comes up more often than one would think. For a 308 the basic come up for a 175 at 2600FPS is 34 MOA (200yds to 600yds is about 13 MOA. 600yds to 1,000yds is another 21 MOA. Total 34 MOA, or 340 inches divide by 12 = 28 1/2 feet.

The field of view looking down the bore of a 308 is pretty big at 1000yds. But its not impossible to find the target and place the target frame to the center of the barrel. While holding the rifle still, now adj the scope so the cross hairs is directly below and center of the target of aprox 28 feet. One can eye ball this. Re do each part until you are fairly confident with your WAG. Remember moving the scope knobs require turning the knob down to move cross hair up and same for windage, turning left moves cross hair right.

With a target puller in the pits pulling and radio, the shooter or spotter/score can look for a bullet strike on the impact berm or in the front of the target. Adj should be in 5 MOA at a time and within a few shots be on target. With the radio, it makes it fairly easy to do.

At times due to conditions, seeing a bullet strike is impossible. Then one needs to bracket the target. This procedure takes 8 shots to do. Aim 6 feet high and center and shoot, then 6 feet high and 6 feet left shoot, then 6 feet high and 6 feet right shoot. If no hit on target, do the same except 6 feet low. If no hit on the target, shoot center in height but 6 feet left, then right. In these 8 shots, one should hit paper if not sooner.

Having a good spotter sitting directly behind the shooter looking fwd over the bore of the rifle. The spotter should see the supersonic shock wave through the mirage toward the target. If the shock wave is left or right of the target, make the adj and shoot again.

I have helped shooters hit the 1,000yd target in as little as 2 shots. I was lucky enough to see the shock wave going off to the left, once I lost track of the shock wave I looked down range for a bullet strike in the dirt. Using the height of the target as a ruler, I determined the bullet hit 1 1/2 targets high and just over 2 target left. Target being 6 feet X 6 feet or in MOA 7 MOA. After doing the math, I gave the shooter an elevation and windage correction, 2nd shot was on paper, the next 2 shots he was centered up on the xring.

It can be done, paying attention, understanding the math, and being observant helps a lot.

Edited by N Jensen

Survivalshop,

Curious about the range where you have to qualify for to shoot 800yds. Do have to shoot 600yds and have a certain score before moving back to 800yds? For a 308, 800yds isn't to bad to hit a target, what gets hard is after 800yds, 900 and 1000yds really puts the rifle, ammo and shooter to the test. Just don't bring a 168 MK and expect it to work past 800yds, it just ant going to work. But they do go through sideways pretty good on a calm day at 1000yds.

A friend of a friend's employer let him build a thousand yard range on the ranch.  Dude is a former law enforcement sniper from another country.

You don't get to use the range for anything, unless you can quote rise, drop, hold over, wind drift, for each load you plan on using out of each firearm you plan on using.

Very few people use the range.

Survivalshop,

Curious about the range where you have to qualify for to shoot 800yds. Do have to shoot 600yds and have a certain score before moving back to 800yds? For a 308, 800yds isn't to bad to hit a target, what gets hard is after 800yds, 900 and 1000yds really puts the rifle, ammo and shooter to the test. Just don't bring a 168 MK and expect it to work past 800yds, it just ant going to work. But they do go through sideways pretty good on a calm day at 1000yds.

I have no idea what its for , but was told this by several people . They say you can shoot the up to 600 yards , but to get to the 800 yrd range , you have to pay a one time fee of $ 20 & get an appointment to see if you qualify . 

Edited by survivalshop

I could understand why they do it, some would bring 150g ball ammo or some over odd ball stuff. One gets bullets going crazy hitting the uprights of the target just tears up the equipment. Or they just don't understand the come ups or the right equipment to have in the first place.

One of my favorite stories of a guy comes to 800agg practice match with his M-98 varmint rifle and scope. He was bragging how accurate his rifle was. Our club HP leader asked If I would watch over him. The wind was blowing 20 Mph by the time we took the 200yd line for standing. He didn't want to shoot standing but prone with a rest. At the end of the prep time, him in his prone position and Myself standing. He told me that he didn't want to take advantage of me and would set his scope to the lowest power setting. His first shot was in the 7 ring and mine was a nine in the aiming black. I went on to beat his prone score in a 20 mph wind. He didn't get any better at the 300yd and even worse at 600yds. I still remember that day and still chuckle about it.