• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

300 BLK barrel?

shibiwan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems my Carbine gas system on my Wilson Combat barrel works good on any bullet it spits out , but never heard of this manufacturer.

Same here, with my Nemo barrel - nitrided, 16", carbine gas.  I've picked up some more loaded ammo to try out in it, of varying weights.  Right now, I don't have enough ammo through it to fairly judge it, but it seems like it'll be a good barrel. 

This is the plan for the 300 BLK so far.....

Picking this up locally for $350

post-14035-0-15542700-1391724358_thumb.j

- Adcor lower

- Unknown upper

- magpul furniture

I've already got:

- lo-pro gas block

Then buy the following:

- HM Defense 300 blk barrel - $250

- Bolt Carrier ~ $100 (any recommendations)

- 10" FDE Quadrail - $40 (ebay)

- charging handle - $20 ?

- carbine gas tube - $10

- flash suppressor/compensator - will DIY this.

Anything I forgot?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by shibiwan

So, it's coming down to barrel selection.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like going pistol-length gas system is better/more flexible/less problemmatic than carbine length. The catch now is finding a 16" 300BLK barrel with a pistol gas system is almost impossible (well, I have yet to find one). The closest match is a 14.5" barrel with piston-length system and pinning on a compensator without getting in trouble with the ATF. I'm planning on shooting suppressed eventually...

The good news - picked up a cheqpie upper when I stumbled into an LGS earlier today. $65 for a cosmetic (finish) blem, bare BAFE-forged upper (square logo). Now I can proceed with building the upper. Wife can't complain. Bought a bus today for her. LOL

My El Paso friend/machinist built a 300 BLK  with a 12" barrel and a carbine gas system. He said supersonic works fine, as does subsonic with the can but subsonic without the can has issues with unreliable cycling. Needless to say, he's replacing the barrel with one with a pistol length gas system. He mumbled something about the carbine gas barrel being the only thing he could get when he built the rifle last year! <laughs>

Even with subs?

Well, no , haven't tried the slow stuff , but I sure you could make adj. with component change outs to get a balance to shoot them . I can try it if your not in that much of a hurry .

My El Paso friend/machinist built a 300 BLK  with a 12" barrel and a carbine gas system. He said supersonic works fine, as does subsonic with the can but subsonic without the can has issues with unreliable cycling. Needless to say, he's replacing the barrel with one with a pistol length gas system. He mumbled something about the carbine gas barrel being the only thing he could get when he built the rifle last year! <laughs>

A 16" , may have a different  outcome , longer gas impulse .

I'm game , I've shot 150's , but taking a 220 gr. bullet sub sonic might cause issues, no idea . There's always a trade off , shoot good with a can & heavy bullets , wonder what launching  110 gr. super's  would do ?

I will look for some 220's & try them sub sonic , probably don't have a choice with Velocity , not enough case volume with that big of bullet taking a lot of space. <thumbsup>

I'm sure others have tried this .